Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

• 1 month later...

I bought one and just used it today on a multi location indoor shoot with both male and female voices and I was blown away at how great it sounds for the price I paid. I usually go for an MKH-50 with almost all my sitdown interviews but was never satisfied with the sound it reproduced of certain female voices. This definitely is the best of both worlds for male and female voices of all types. 

Before I run out and buy my second one I would love to hear this distortion if there was some sort of audio clip that could be posted? Or has that been resolved? I listen closely for any hint of it but of course I didn’t have anybody screaming but heavy laughter during the interviews I felt it would have pushed it far enough to create this distortion if it exists in my particular mic

-Ken

12 hours ago, osa said:

Before I run out and buy my second one I would love to hear this distortion if there was some sort of audio clip that could be posted? Or has that been resolved? I listen closely for any hint of it but of course I didn’t have anybody screaming but heavy laughter during the interviews I felt it would have pushed it far enough to create this distortion if it exists in my particular mic

-Ken

I'll dig up a sample asap. I went into Trew a few weeks back and we easily recreated the capsule distortion with new units and alternate mixer/recorders. Determined that it was not specific to my particular microphone.

Just get loud with it and compare the results with your other mics. I personally think the SPL limits are not what they claim to be, but I don't really have any idea of how I can test that accurately.

Adam

• 4 months later...

Hello:
I was interested in buying a CS-M1 sanken, but reading this thread I have many doubts. Since no one has written in that thread for a long time (about this specific mic), I ask: does anyone have any news about the distortion? ... Has anyone else experienced it?
Thank you very much

1 hour ago, CarLi said:

Hello:
I was interested in buying a CS-M1 sanken, but reading this thread I have many doubts. Since no one has written in that thread for a long time (about this specific mic), I ask: does anyone have any news about the distortion? ... Has anyone else experienced it?
Thank you very much

I’ve been using it since its release— I love it. Never had any distortion issues. It stays on the end of my pole for most docu/reality shoots unless I need to switch to the the CS3e. 

Cheers,

Evan

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with handling noise issues on this particular Mike compared to my DPA 4017 or mkh50 without hipass engaged. Curious if anyone else is experiencing it and found a proper solution? I have two different lyre suspensions i tried inside a Rycote Zepplin and i also tried attaching a connbox. Ktek and loon poles. On my dpa i can sneak pole extensions during takes but on this sanken i feel like i cant move. Slight hand repositions seem to transfer. Gonna try the psc rubber bands to see if that helps. I still love the sound of this mic very much, enough to suffer thru while i keep trying different combos

-Ken

9 hours ago, osa said:

I am struggling with handling noise issues on this particular Mike compared to my DPA 4017 or mkh50 without hipass engaged. Curious if anyone else is experiencing it and found a proper solution? I have two different lyre suspensions i tried inside a Rycote Zepplin and i also tried attaching a connbox. Ktek and loon poles. On my dpa i can sneak pole extensions during takes but on this sanken i feel like i cant move. Slight hand repositions seem to transfer. Gonna try the psc rubber bands to see if that helps. I still love the sound of this mic very much, enough to suffer thru while i keep trying different combos

Cinela? 

15 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Cinela? 

will definitely explore cinela after i exhaust my rycote options since i already invested down that path with all sorts of rycote bits for this mic. I did just find a stash of rycote parts in my storage to experiment with different mount options in combo with the no10 zep. I am going to try a few things and see if i can get a hold of a cinela mount to test if no luck

Make sure you get a Cinela suspension designed for the specific model mic, it makes a difference. 

I have tons of Rycote stuff and for quite a while resisted going the Cinela route.  I considered Cinelas to be overpriced -- until I started using them. (Thank you to a friend who made it an easier leap.) 

The improvement in lower handling noise is striking!   Yes, there is that much difference.

17 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Make sure you get a Cinela suspension designed for the specific model mic, it makes a difference. 

I have tons of Rycote stuff and for quite a while resisted going the Cinela route.  I considered Cinelas to be overpriced -- until I started using them. (Thank you to a friend who made it an easier leap.) 

The improvement in lower handling noise is striking!   Yes, there is that much difference.

great info!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 5:15 PM, osa said:

will definitely explore cinela after i exhaust my rycote options since i already invested down that path with all sorts of rycote bits for this mic. I did just find a stash of rycote parts in my storage to experiment with different mount options in combo with the no10 zep. I am going to try a few things and see if i can get a hold of a cinela mount to test if no luck

Just wanted to report back, replacing lyre suspension with the classic ring/rubber band rycote combo did the trick for handling noise with this mic for my purposes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 8:31 AM, Adam White said:

My microphone isn't performing to this specification. Like @Kisaha I have been experiencing a fair amount of clipping at the microphone as well.  Virtually anytime I get a good yell, laugh, whatever. It's not a gain staging problem. I use the 633 and I don't even know how to clip this recorder if you have limiters on. It's the mic.

I'll be reaching out to a Sanken rep in the new year to investigate (and testing at length with some other hardware)...

On 1/7/2020 at 5:06 PM, Adam White said:

I tested my mic against another unit. Same level of sensitivity to capsule overload. Happens at any gain level and regardless of preamp. 
Sort of disappointing because it really means I can’t count on it in very loud/dynamic situations, eg even a seated interview with a loud laugher!

I would love to hear some other testers chime in on the subject. 

Best

Adam

UPDATE - The problem I was having was NOT related to the CS-M1. It's a known firmware bug in 633 v4.61!!

2 hours ago, Adam White said:

UPDATE - The problem I was having was NOT related to the CS-M1. It's a known firmware bug in 633 v4.61!!

Fortunately, I've never had any issues, to my knowledge, with my CS-m1.  But this is a little worrisome as v4.61, released in January 2020, is the most current firmware version and the 633 is now a "legacy product".

• 4 months later...

I am currently booming with this mic in low ceiling situations (a cruise ship) and am pretty impressed with it. I've worked a lot with the miniCMIT and love it but these extra centimeters less are a boon on the boom.

My setup with the "Sugru"ed (and shortened) ultra slim DPA DAO4010:

IMG_20210806_160120.jpg

IMG_20210806_160129.jpg

• 1 month later...

This mic has interested me as one of my first solid interior mics. Before I was thinking of getting a mkh50 for a first interior mic. I work primarily in South Korea on narratives, branding content and YouTube content. Korean houses and buildings generally are not furnished warmly with cloth sofas or rugs - lots of concrete and hard surfaces like working in studios. Would the CS-M1 adequately work well in these hard reflective environments?

Another situation that arises often are web dramas that shoot two cameras often. Often times inexperienced directors and camera operators don't shoot for good sound so seems as though the reach of the CS-M1 over the mkh50 seems to be an advantage. Thinking hard about this mic.

5 hours ago, goodgoings said:

This mic has interested me as one of my first solid interior mics. Before I was thinking of getting a mkh50 for a first interior mic. I work primarily in South Korea on narratives, branding content and YouTube content. Korean houses and buildings generally are not furnished warmly with cloth sofas or rugs - lots of concrete and hard surfaces like working in studios. Would the CS-M1 adequately work well in these hard reflective environments?

Another situation that arises often are web dramas that shoot two cameras often. Often times inexperienced directors and camera operators don't shoot for good sound so seems as though the reach of the CS-M1 over the mkh50 seems to be an advantage. Thinking hard about this mic.

I know its a matter of personal taste - but i have 2x mkh50’s and 2x cs-m1’s in my kit among various others. The 50’s have collected a lot of dust. The sankens have become my go-to for almost everything. I love the sound of them, the gain and the reach - the sanken checks all the boxes mentioned for me. 

3 hours ago, osa said:

I know its a matter of personal taste - but i have 2x mkh50’s and 2x cs-m1’s in my kit among various others. The 50’s have collected a lot of dust. The sankens have become my go-to for almost everything. I love the sound of them, the gain and the reach - the sanken checks all the boxes mentioned for me. 

Great to see that the cs-m1 can step toe to toe with the much loved mkh50. Any experience with them in reverberant interior spaces?

Using a sanken csm1 right now as i type, female talent on 2x cam sitdown interview. Sitting at a table with concrete floor, no real room to put blankets down as its pretty wide. To me it sounds beautiful in this bright space with no interference tube “phasey” issues. Granted the mic is right on top vs following her around this room with any distance, so it doesnt quite answer your question from that perspective. But a 416 etc to my ears would not work at all in this setup

9 hours ago, osa said:

Using a sanken csm1 right now as i type, female talent on 2x cam sitdown interview. Sitting at a table with concrete floor, no real room to put blankets down as its pretty wide. To me it sounds beautiful in this bright space with no interference tube “phasey” issues. Granted the mic is right on top vs following her around this room with any distance, so it doesnt quite answer your question from that perspective. But a 416 etc to my ears would not work at all in this setup

Thanks osa for your answers. Seems as though you really love your cs-m1. Since you have other mics, would there be any situations you would use a different mic than the cs-m1 in interior spaces?