Sanken Cs-M1 new mike

tonymuricy

The problem with very tiny (and thus very light) mics is that it can be very tricky to achieve a successfully isolated suspension, mostly on account of the lack of mass in the mic. I see that Sanken are offering a suspension mount, but to my eye it doesnt look too hopeful, nor does it look like it will integrate with a basket for outdoor use. I'll be interested to see what the windshield people come up with for this.

Simon B

6 minutes ago, Bash said:

The problem with very tiny (and thus very light) mics is that it can be very tricky to achieve a successfully isolated suspension, mostly on account of the lack of mass in the mic.

Then again, since we're getting more tiny and light options in the market, the pressure to develop working solutions increases significantly. It's likely that there will be more people using these tiny and light mics, and some of them may come up with something that works. Someone might even start a new business.

Just now, Ilari Sivil said:

As for the mic in question, I'd love to see a polar pattern, the price makes it seem very, very interesting!

scroll up ..:)

kind of ironic that we all like lighter mics but at the same time that makes them more difficult to handle.

Personally, I quite like the Rycote INV-19 lite. Certainly works well with the DPA4017c. I think they are working on integrating it into the Cyclone or maybe that exists already. I think it can also simply be moved to the modular shields, so it’s there. They only have a 21 and 19mm version, so for different sizes a new version is needed. 

Maybe they can alter a bit so that a mic with Softie can be fitted easily - that’s the only downside I have dound with this

I had a conversation with Rycote at some point in the past about their Lyre suspensions. To be effective, you need to match the mass of the mic with the right mass of the suspension. If the suspension is too light or too heavy, you get sub-optimal results.

I love my Sanken CS2 and CS3e, but many times I need a smaller directional mike.

I know MKH 50 is highly praised, but I would like to have a small mike with the Sanken sound, so I'm curious if this one could be a better option than CS-1 mike.

13 minutes ago, tonymuricy said:

I love my Sanken CS2 and CS3e, but many times I need a smaller directional mike.

for what kind of tasks?

13 minutes ago, tonymuricy said:

I know MKH 50 is highly praised, but I would like to have a small mike with the Sanken sound, so I'm curious if this one could be a better option than CS-1 mike.

again, better for what?

the directionality of the Sanken CS-1e/CS-M1 seems to be similar to the MKH 50, but the Sennheiser has a much more linear frequency response. 

and then are all these personal aspects of course, like sound etc..:)

Chris

my main market are fiction and documentaries. For documentaries I am more the happy with my Sanken CS-2.

For fiction and sometimes for docs need a smaller mike to use inside cars, on low ceilings locations, etc. As I said, the MKH 50 would be a natural choice, except that I'd like to keep the Sanken "signature".

So if this CS-M1 mike sounds alike it's bigger brothers CS-2 and CS-3 I think it could be a good choice for me.

I see. well I guess not many people have hands on experience with it since it's still on pre-order (and not even listed on the sanken site).

the freq response is rather spiky and the strong low-cut points more towards on-camera use to me...

for fiction a MK41 or MKH50 probably would be preferred by most people - but the only the only way to find out is to test it how you like it in your scenarios.

chris

I love my CS-1 and CS-2 Sankens as well as my CSS-5

Looking at the polar response the CS-M1 has a slightly wider pattern than the CS-1

Again looking a front to back ratio

CS-1   is -14.5dB @ 1Khz and -24dB @ 4 and 8 kHz

CS-1M is -10.0dB @ 1 kHz and -18dB @ 4kHz and -16dB @ 8kHz

Hence it is more of a cardioid but at last a much better roll of below 100Hz

No doubt a very good choice for interior drama work

mike

I

On 3/31/2018 at 10:52 PM, mikewest said:

I love my CS-1 and CS-2 Sankens as well as my CSS-5

Looking at the polar response the CS-M1 has a slightly wider pattern than the CS-1

Again looking a front to back ratio

CS-1   is -14.5dB @ 1Khz and -24dB @ 4 and 8 kHz

CS-1M is -10.0dB @ 1 kHz and -18dB @ 4kHz and -16dB @ 8kHz

Hence it is more of a cardioid but at last a much better roll of below 100Hz

No doubt a very good choice for interior drama work

mike

So you use CS-1 for drama work, Mike? 

That's exactly something I would do too.

I've used Sennheiser's MKH 416 and MKH70 for years until I tried Sankens, and then I switched to CS2 and CS3, so why not have the CS1 or the CS1M for closer work or on low ceilings or small tight places? The small size of the CS-1M makes it very interesting, I think. 

I'll try it asap, for sure.

Thanks

Tony

On 4/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, tonymuricy said:

I

So you use CS-1 for drama work, Mike? 

That's exactly something I would do too.

I've used Sennheiser's MKH 416 and MKH70 for years until I tried Sankens, and then I switched to CS2 and CS3, so why not have the CS1 or the CS1M for closer work or on low ceilings or small tight places? The small size of the CS-1M makes it very interesting, I think. 

I'll try it asap, for sure.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

Good comments

Yep I have owned CS3 but far prefer the CS1 and CS2

The CS1 has the most remarkable rear rejection but is bright and has good reach

Did a job last year alongside an old friend who was using a CMIT and di not rate it at all

After all my decades of drama I don't do much now but yeas a CS1M makes great sense.

I did visit Sanken on Tokyo and had a session with their two design engineers.

I noted that the CS-3 had a bass cut switch but the CS-1 did not - no reply!

mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...