Shocked on the Onix?

Richard Ragon

Exeltech and Samlex both make a pure sine wave, low output inverter.

I use the Exeltech 125W for my less power-hungry Mackie board.

Inverters are not very efficient at the low end of their capacity, and the small ones have no fans, so are better in both cases.

Remember, 100W at 110v is about 10 amps at 12V - That's a lot! - you might want to think about "speak-on" connectors and from what 12v source you plan to power this beast.

Or the Samlex.  They have worked out excellently for me.  I use a 300W to power the 01V, a DV824, a Presonus A/D, and the Mac Mini.  I swapped out the fans with some super-quiet aftermarkets and I am completely satisfied.  I use the 600W to power my whole cart in the desert off a large AGM battery for 6 hours.

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine.html

D.

Went over and talked to Forest over at Coffey about converting a Onix Mixer to 12vdc.  Wow.. 800 bucks and sometimes a 3-6 month time period?  Guess thats not going to happen.. Anyone recommend a good (quiet) inverter then?

-Richard

Don't fault him--it is a very difficult mod to do to a mixer that was in no way designed to accommodate it.  Remember that the result is a mixer that can run on AC or 12VDC without accessories or an external power supply.  Forrest's work is first class, it takes a lot of it to do this mod, and the mod makes the mixer far more versatile and probably quieter when running on DC (this was certainly true of his mods of the analog Mackies).  The Onyx is a complex beast, and modding is made much more difficult by the newer manufacturing methods used in prosumer gear (multilayer circuit boards, surface mount technology etc).  His mods have always been about equal to the cost of the mixer being modded.  Once modded, however, the mixer is worth a lot more.  (I was able to sell my modded analog Mackie used for way more than the cost of a new unmodded version.)  If the whole setup doesn't work for you I can understand that, and invertor use has become very accepted in our world (esp since people started using the 01v96), but if you DO want a 12VDC powerable mixer the modded Onyx is still a great deal compared to a Sonosax, PSC or a used Cooper.

Philip Perkins

I'll second the Forest thing.  He not only modified my first Mackie (the 1402 for 12v, but he also built me an external box into which I could plug a dynamic mic.  The box has switched that included tone, PL (fed to one aux out for PL Comtek), DIR (fed to the other aux out for DIR Comtek), and slate that fed into main mix.

The mod was $700, if I remember, which was twice the cost of the board, but worth EVERY penny.  I still have the board, and use it when I am semi-portable.

Robert

• 1 month later...

Forrest modded my Onyx 1640 and did a great job.  He also went way out of his way to make sure that I was satisfied after it was damaged when being shipped back to me.  He's definitely a class act.  If you can afford it, he'll take good care of you.

I think everyone got me wrong here..  I'm NOT complaining about Forrest, or the work that he does.

I guess I was merely trying to point out that it cost more to add in 12vdc, then the whole mixer cost off the shelf.

p.s. BTW: I do now have a Forrest mod Onix mixer now.