NAB 2018 Products update

RadoStefanov

Ambient PowerLockit.

Great concept . Great idea. Born in a bar in Vdara few years ago. (:

This is not something for us sound guys. I dont see myself asking a DP to add this to his camera. 

Also buying all the breakout cables for different cameras will be costly.

Lets hope camera people embrace it.

ambient.jpg

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Seems to be regional, some parts of the world they seem to only use V lock and no one ever sees AB being used. 

Here in the USA I see AB used on cameras 99%  of the time. VLock on lights and AB on camera is the norm.

Just saw they have Gold mount option as well.

Redacted.

Here in Germany there's 99% V-Lock usage, in film business as well as in ENG/EFP business. So that makes kind of sense for a company based in Munich.

But I too think that no cam op would be happy if you show up with such a brickstone, especially if he or she has used Nano Lockits or Tentacles before.

Looks nice! I can see it being a hit in camera world because they need the power distribution anyway. And it requires a tub full of expensive Lemo cables and camera guys love that. 

I own two simple timecode boxes and I’m not planning on investing in any more boxes of fancy wireless TC setup. Between tentacles, tiny lockits and now this thing camera dept is handling their own timecode these days or it is just included in the rental package. An extra slate is probably a better investment for us. 

I’m not an Ambient lockit user (I’m firmly in the TimeCode Systems camp) but they should be praised for product innovation. I like the concept. It doesn’t fit the workflow of the majority of my work which is PSC/ENG based. However I can see the commercial and film boys liking it. 

Any my other new products?

Definitely regional, When I lived in LA there was a solid mix of AB and V lock.  Now that I am living in Canada, It has been almost entirely V lock.  My guess it which tech the larger rental houses decide to support heavily influences what the surrounding market adopts for all the relevant accessories and doo dads.

Steinberg & Rupert Neve

Steinberg team up with Rupert Neve – two new interfaces – UR-RT2 and UR-RT4, will be shipping from the beginning of June. “I’m very glad that we can work together with Steinberg. We are proud that we've helped move this type of sound quality and character into a new market and audience,” said Josh Thomas, general manager at Rupert Neve.

The UR-RT2 comes with four inputs and two outputs, while the UR-RT4 boasts six inputs and four outputs. Both interfaces offer USB 2.0 and MIDI connectivity alongside a range of input/output options for laptop and iPad, as well as providing DSP-powered effects for zero- latency monitoring. Together with the studio-grade D-PRE preamps by Yamaha and the featured Rupert Neve Designs transformers.

30571813_1845436548808407_67175196186002

5 hours ago, VAS said:

Steinberg & Rupert Neve

Steinberg team up with Rupert Neve – two new interfaces – UR-RT2 and UR-RT4, will be shipping from the beginning of June. “I’m very glad that we can work together with Steinberg. We are proud that we've helped move this type of sound quality and character into a new market and audience,” said Josh Thomas, general manager at Rupert Neve.

The UR-RT2 comes with four inputs and two outputs, while the UR-RT4 boasts six inputs and four outputs. Both interfaces offer USB 2.0 and MIDI connectivity alongside a range of input/output options for laptop and iPad, as well as providing DSP-powered effects for zero- latency monitoring. Together with the studio-grade D-PRE preamps by Yamaha and the featured Rupert Neve Designs transformers.

I'd like to see details on this transformer.

The Rode Ambisonic mic comes with a full mount + shield kit. A bit cheaper than the Ambeo, I'll be waiting how they stack up to each other  (and how well the windshield does) but for what you get this + a MixPre6 should be an amazingly affordable and compact dedicated set-up for surround ambiances etc.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, VAS said:

Steinberg & Rupert Neve

Interesting ... but what I'd really like to see would be 2 inputs and 6 outputs (or none and six, or four and six, or six and six ... just want those extra outputs).

Jez

16 hours ago, Bash said:

Oh go on then  - spread the rumours???  sb ;-)

Ok, I'll share what I can...

There's a company that's going to bring out something they consider significant in a month or two.  There's another company that in six months to a year expects to offer a product that has the potential to be extremely popular.  One company has something in the works for about six months from now.  And, finally, a certain well-regarded company hasn't decided what they're going to do but, by golly, they'll do it.

All true -- watch for it.