NAB 2018 Products update

RadoStefanov

I agree that using the same mic is the only way to evaluate any differences in sound quality between systems. Similarly, wireless range tests are only valid if the two systems are on the same frequency. This means that they have to walk each separately, which is somewhat inconvenient. 

As far as I know, there have never been any RF or audio differences between 100, 300 and 500 series of each generation - only features, with the higher series numbers having more options, etc. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Would have been a more interesting comparison if they'd stuck with the same mic, as it is no surprise the better mic sounds better.

A $120US (or so) Sennheiser ME2 that's notoriously mediocre vs a $350US (or so) Sennheiser MKE2 that's pretty nice. I didn't watch than that.

Plus what Karl says. Sigh. 

Hey David,

I'm glad you found this video, I currently have two Sennheiser G4 500 series in my gear. This one comes with the MKE-2 lavalier mic, keep in mind though that it's only available for the 500 series. The pros I have are the distance you can go on this one, as seen in the video. The mic is very tiny and easier to conceal, than its predecessor ME-2. The cons I have are: they should have made the MKE-2 available for its 100 series as well, the design is not much different from the G3's, another thing I would have liked Sennheiser to do was made duel receivers as opposed to a single, finally the transmitters could have been made much smaller to compete with Lectrosonics or Zaxcom's. Still though, I don't regret buying them as they work for my current work flow.

The MKE-2 has been around since the 90s as I recall and I would not call it a 'predecessor' to the lower priced ME-2, which ain't very good IMO, ok if there's nothing else though.

The MKE-2 is available for the 100 series, (locking 3.5mm TRS plug) it's just not bungled with that system.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:11 AM, Alejandro Reyes said:

another thing I would have liked Sennheiser to do was made duel receivers as opposed to a single, finally the transmitters could have been made much smaller to compete with Lectrosonics or Zaxcom's. 

Yes, I‘m sure we all wohld have liked that, but you can’t really expect Sennheiser to build their entry-level (and up) system to compete with other high-end system. They do have higher end and high end systems themselves...

Still, I do think they could have done more to make the upgrade from G3 to G4 more worthwhile. 

As it is I don’t see any reason. Especially as I just found out that Sennheiser‘s C-Block (734-790 MHz or thereabouts) covers the duplex gap of the new 5G mobile phone network (here in Europe). This mostly concerns my IEM sets and now I don’t have to reblock and I am very happy. 

Having said all this, I may well get the new G4 IEM rack tx to take advantage of the 50mW

33 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Constantine, have you thought of finding an SK2000XP in the band you need? It can do 50mW or even 100mW if you can source a US version. 

I modded mine with an SMA so I can also remote an antenna when needed. 

Yes, I have thought about that, although I didn’t consider the SMA mod. But I actually prefer the rackmount version as I like having the two-channel option. So I would have needed two sk2000, which are lighter, but far more expensive than the SR300, especially with a battery eliminator. And lastly, the SK2000 is far trickier ro mount on my cart in a way that I can still read the display and access the controls.

in my bag on the other hand I am quite happy with an SK100...

On 6/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, Rick Reineke said:

The MKE-2 has been around since the 90s as I recall and I would not call it a 'predecessor' to the lower priced ME-2, which ain't very good IMO, ok if there's nothing else though.

The MKE-2 is available for the 100 series, (locking 3.5mm TRS plug) it's just not bungled with that system.

Hi Rick,

Good to know, forgive my ignorance, I had no idea the MKE-2 gold tip has been around since the 90's, it's a great mic. When I checked through B&H, Sweetwater, and Zzounds the 100 series had the ME-2 included in their set only. Unless I'm missing a supplier please let me know, I want to end the year by getting 2 100 series, because I only have two of the 500 series at the moment. 

On 6/30/2018 at 9:55 AM, Rick Reineke said:

The MKE-2 is a separate purchase from the 100 series system. If the B&H, Sweetwater and other high volume retailers do not carry it with the 100 series plug, contact one of usual suspect film-sound shops, Gotham, Trew, LSC, PSC, ect.

I knew I was right about this. You see, I have the G4 512P from Sennheiser. I bought one from Sweetwater and the other one from B&H. While the 112P series of the G4 did not include the MKE-2, the 512P did. Now that I have this information I'm going to look into this because I want two of the G4 112P's added to my current gear.