Sennheiser 6042

newzhack

Great receiver, I've been using it for about eight months now, mainly with SK5212. And never had issues. It has an excellent range and great filters (I have a hop transmitter in my bag and there are no effects on the EK6042). Very rugged and reliable, best sound. Much less compander artifacts than with the older EKs. The option to receive EW is great too.

cons: the slot adapter is too bulky and heavy and the analogue outputs' level is a little too low if you have to use a line input (SD633 Inputs 4-6).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I had a weak moment and bought an EK from TK at Gotham. I got it last week while I was out on a news assignment and got around to unpacking it this morning. It is a little heavy but that is due to the bag housing. It has lots of cooling fins, for what reason, I don't know. I love the clip on the housing, it fits nicely on my divider.

IMG_0737.jpg

You can see I am somewhat invested in Sennheiser receivers and because this one will work with the older sk250 and anything newer was very appealing to me. At first, the bright red light was bright enough to disturb some sets, but after connecting to a transmitter, it turns a green that is not very annoying. 

After reading the skimpy manual, I kind of had a knot in my stomach about using my older transmitters but that turned out to be a non-issue. 

IMG_0738.jpg

The clip holds the housing in just the right place to access the USB port or to give the IR port proper access. 

I also figured I needed to use the web interface to set them up so first thing I hooked my Mac up to it, and it needs some Microsoft software to connect so I pulled out my old Dell pc. At first, it did not want to hook up but as the skimpy manual says it may take some time for the plug into work. After 5 minutes or so I called Gotham, and while they were on the phone, it started working all the sudden. The manual was right. 

Once in the web interface, I clicked on the maintenance screen. I updated to the latest firmware with little effort and about 10 minutes. Once I was thru that, I entered a custom transmitter and gave it a range. 

IMG_0739.jpg

After firing up the receiver and selecting the custom setup, it just started working. You have to choose a profile and just used the SKP3000 since it is Hidyn also. You can manually change the frequency thru the menu; it is effortless. 

The receiver came set on analog output. I will try the digital out sometime in the future. 

I then tried my skp3000 cube and used the automatic setup. I just set the cube down next to it and selected the sync option, it all happened in about 5 seconds. 

Everything sounds fine. This is the first downtime I have had in a few months so will probably not use it for a week or so but will report back after the first field test. 

The battery transmitter level does not work on the SK250. 

IMG_0740.jpg

Congratulations!

Does the AES connection work on your 664? I couldn't figure out yet why it works perfectly on the 633 but not on the 664. Well, not a major problem since I go all analogue into the 664, to avoid latency related trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

just an update, I have been using this receiver for a few weeks and it is working great. My only complaint is that when I am not using the other channel it keeps nagging me with a message that the unused channel is in mute. The automatic sync is very fast and works great with my skp300 cube. It is also working great with my sk250 transmitters.