Zaxcom Fusion Physical Knobs and ISO track recording.

MattiaCellotto

Hey folks, a question on the Zaxcom Fusions's physical knobs. I only do SFX recording and in most cases I never have a use for faders, I only use input trim. When using a SD 702 or a Fostex FR2 I can set the input trim with the physical knobs on the recorder, if I clip I see it and I know the level my meters show is exactly what I am recording. I was just testing a Fusion and noticed the physical knobs acted as post-trim faders, which meant that even when recording ISO I could potentially clip post-trim to then apply a negative value to something that has clipped with the knobs. All I'd like to do is bypass the faders which I can do by setting the output to disk to be pre-fader, but at this point how could I set the physical knobs on the front of the machine to control the input trim? Would such a thing be possible at all? Sorry if this is a noobish question, only got to test the device once :)

I own my Fusion 12 since February 2013 and as far as I know there's absolutely no way to use the Fusion's onboard knobs to control analog input trim of the recorder. They either work as faders after AD conversion, or can control analog input trim on remote Zaxcom transmitters/recorders via wireless Zaxnet. The only way to get tactile control of Fusion's trims is to attach an external Zaxcom control surface, which, I guess, is not convenient in SFX recording scenarios. I just use the touch screen trims.