Zoom F8n.

Just now, Vincent R. said:

Funny how much the deal is cheaper than if you buy just the F8 by itself

Not really - I'm sure John wants to clear the bags as well as the F8 before the 'n' and its new bag comes in ... and if anyone expressed an intention to buy the recorder at its full price he'd tell them the bundle was on offer.

For me - I can't really complain since Zoom have improved on an already good / inexpensive product without a price increase - although without digi IO and/or a cascade feature I'm not one of those rushing to pre-order ... not to say I might not pick one up eventually though. An editor friend has one and rates it (the 8).

J

On 6/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, IronFilm said:

ronmac, that is the original F8, and I've already seen it go on special for as low as US$650. This isn't at all unusual to see for stock to be cleared before a new product arrives. (They're not going to be selling both the F8n and F8 together, production on the F8 will stop)

I just hope that for those of us still building our arsenal while working out of a bag can get some last minute updates. I don't know about everybody else, but I just want to get some additional mics, IFB's, and timecode sync boxes before upgrading to F8n.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:11 PM, Movies by Matt said:

Mr. IronFilm-

If Zoom doesn't hire you in some capacity they're fools. You're the #1 brand ambassador for them and a respected member of several communities. Seriously though, after all you've written in support for Zoom, the absolute least they should do is give you a Zoom F8n, if only cause you'd educate everyone about that product. Zoom, are you paying attention?!? Don't lose Mr. IronFilm to the competition. I bet he's solely responsible for at least 50 sales of your products due to the consistent feedback he gives about the F8. 

Well no one is giving me one :-P 
I've purchased one myself from B&H and it is being shipped out right now asap! 😄 yay
So far as I know, B&H is the only place which is shipping the F8n at the moment. Most retailers still have them listed as pre-order only or out of stock. 
(
Trew Audio lists it as available to order however, dunno if they actually are shipping them out yet though or if that is just how their website is displaying it, anyone got a shipping notification from them yet?)

Sounds like Gotham Sound has only got the one dealer demo model at the moment, but more should be coming into stock soon:

At the moment as of right now your best bet to get an F8n asap is to order from B&H, and is where I ordered mine from.

Does anyone happen to know if there is on the fly shortcut to adjust panning. One of the main things I like about the new one is using the Main Encoder to adjust trim. But how do we adjust panning? Hopefully not by going into the system settings everytime to change the Track Knob assignment... I feel like a double click or something could be easily added. 

Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

Don't know, but channel panning on a location sound recorder is usaully not an often used adj.  The external control surface may have a easy acces pan though.

I can see where most ppl don’t use it, but I’m constantly hopping to camera with boom and several talent and they like to use he mix, so panning quickly is important to me. But I guess it’s not that bad to just go through the setting menu. The control surface is awesome tho!

Reports are rolling of the earliest pre orderers getting their deliveries! Any one in this forum got their delivery yet?

Mine is scheduled to arrive at my reshipper in Oregon USA tomorrow, but then will take a bit longer to get from there to New Zealand :-/

However I'm getting ready for that day! Having now purchased an iPad Mini 2 and iPod Touch 6th Gen (wonder if I can use both together at once? That would be the dream! But using either one at a time is the plan at the moment). Currently hunting down research for the next part of the jigsaw puzzle which is how to mount these best to my Orca OR30 bag. 

• 2 weeks later...

"The F8n's dual-channel recording mode allows you to create safety tracks by doubling up the recordings from inputs 1-4 onto tracks 5-8. Tracks can be controlled independently, allowing you to customize each safety track with different gain, limiting, and more."

-----

I have a SD-442 mixer. If I put this in front of the F8n and used the SD-442's limiters, could I then use the F8n's dual channel recording to record hotter tracks on the safety channels? Is this a rational approach? 

23 hours ago, Glyn said:

So what has happened. It is almost a week since the last post on this thread. Has no one received there F8n yet? Or is that those who have one now are so busy they have no time to spend on jwsound.

Mine arrives on Monday. Taking a bit longer to get here, as I ordered it from the USA and had to go via my reshipper to get here to New Zealand. 

21 hours ago, Affinity said:

"The F8n's dual-channel recording mode allows you to create safety tracks by doubling up the recordings from inputs 1-4 onto tracks 5-8. Tracks can be controlled independently, allowing you to customize each safety track with different gain, limiting, and more."

-----

I have a SD-442 mixer. If I put this in front of the F8n and used the SD-442's limiters, could I then use the F8n's dual channel recording to record hotter tracks on the safety channels? Is this a rational approach? 

I own a 552 (very similar to the 442, but one extra input, plus a stereo recorder built in and a few other details), as a 552 / Tascam DR680mk1 was my main set up before I got a F4. 

98% of the time the 552 stayed at home (I think the last time I used the 552 on a paying job was last year when I needed to do a direct to camera shoot and so I used my 552 with my snake I had for it, although since then I got a snake which is compatible with my F4 and future F8n. So I doubt if I had this same kind of shoot again that I'd bother with the 552 again, maybe, dunno). 

However I do have another friend who always uses his 552 in front of his original F8

So I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, which compromise do you prefer: being slowed down with the extra weight/bulk and what it might mean to your back health in future decades to come, vs maybe the potential small increase in audio quality. I think you can guess which side of the fence I fall on from that phrasing I chose 😉

Personally my approach has been: boom track + safety boom track + lav ISOs (I don't bother with safety tracks for lavs, as I don't wish to over do how many tracks I'm recording if not needing, and if I've getting the levels blowing out with the lavs then odds are higher there are issues earlier before it hits my recorder anyway. Thus I feel only just the boom safety track is sufficient). I also do engage the limiters on my F4, as they are better than many people give them credit for. And the new F8n limiters will be even better. 

On 7/6/2018 at 6:15 AM, IronFilm said:

So I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, which compromise do you prefer: being slowed down with the extra weight/bulk and what it might mean to your back health in future decades to come, vs maybe the potential small increase in audio quality. I think you can guess which side of the fence I fall on from that phrasing I chose 😉

Ha.  Thanks for sharing your experience. 

You never miss the limiters of the 552 as compared to the F8?

Nah, use the limiters that the F4 has already, err on the side of caution with setting the gain, pay attention to rehearsals, and run a safety track for the boom, and you'll be fine. 

And with the new advanced hybrid limiters of the F8n then there is even more of a reason to leave the 552 at home. 

Mine has arrived! But strangely, I won't be using it on tomorrow's shoot. As I'll be DoP, and instead the privilege of using the new F8n will go to a newbie n00b soundie who I'm lending my kit to so she can handle the sound on my shoot :-o Fingers crossed

Serial #39, the first and only one in all of New Zealand!

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Serial #39, the first and only one in all of New Zealand!

That's promising. :-)

"The number 39 is social, optimistic, tolerant, and inspiring. It supports and encourages the creative expression of the talents inherent in others. 39 is especially adept with artistic visual and auditory expression."

https://affinitynumerology.com/number-meanings/number-39-meaning.php

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

In an ideal world I'd own a 688, and I might still get one sometime in the future (2022? ha), but until then the Zoom F8n will serve me awesomely just like the F4 has since the day it came out. 

Not so ideal the 688 at 2.21 Kg vs F8n at less than half of that at 1 Kg, your back will be happier......:)

9 hours ago, pindrop said:

Not so ideal the 688 at 2.21 Kg vs F8n at less than half of that at 1 Kg, your back will be happier......:)

Correction: in an Ideal World I'd own.....

Cantar X3, 688, 633, MixPre6, MixPre3 & a F8n!

With the MixPre3 my back would be the happiest of them all! 😉