Zoom F8n.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:19 PM, IronFilm said:

The only way the MM1 seems to be a step back from the MP is there seems to be no off setting for the phantom power? But if you're always wanting to use phantom power, then this is no big negative at all. 

The MM-1 has 48V and 12V phantom power, plus T-powering. All microphone powering can be turned off.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:19 PM, IronFilm said:

I'm not jozzafunk, but here are a few of my thoughts which lead to the F8n:
1)The 664 is the oldest of the 6 series so has a few drawbacks compared to the 633/688 (such as no recording option beyond 48KHz, no I/O delay, no ambisonics, no automix, etc), but I was giving serious consideration to waiting on finding an attractively priced 664 secondhand (as they do sell at a deeper discount than the 633/688 does). If I'd seen one at an amazing price and the F8n had never been announced, then it is very likely I would have jumped on a 664.
2) The 688 is outside my budget range unfortunately.

Kinda half considered the Maxx/Normad/SX-R4+ as well. 

But really my decision boiled down to one of:
Keep on using the F4 vs 633 vs get a F8n (or buy a secondhand F8, as they're significantly cheaper than an F8n. Plus the v5.0 firmare update almost kinda turns the F8 into nearly a F8n, but I didn't know that at the time when the F8n was up for pre-order). 

I feel any one of those three decisions could have been a smart choice. But the temptation of a new recorder proved too create, and the money I saved in getting an F8n vs something else I've put into getting a Lectrosonics SR/SMQV/LMb instead and soon a new ambisonics mic.

Thanks for your input IronFilm! I'm right there with you. I can't justify a 688 purchase because of the crazy price...

I already have the updated Zoom F8, but have been planning for a while to upgrade to an SD and use the Zoom as a backup - so technically if I needed to do over 48khz or ambisonics recording i could bring along the Zoom. But I just can't decide between the 633 features that you mentioned (automix, compactness) over the expandability of the 664 to utilize 12 channels... I don't even have 8 channels of wireless right now... but I figure it might be smart to buy something I can grow into... or just go with 633 and sell it when i actually need a larger mixer. hmm. indecision is a bitch. 

1 hour ago, resoNate3973 said:

Thanks for your input IronFilm! I'm right there with you. I can't justify a 688 purchase because of the crazy price...

I already have the updated Zoom F8, but have been planning for a while to upgrade to an SD and use the Zoom as a backup - so technically if I needed to do over 48khz or ambisonics recording i could bring along the Zoom. But I just can't decide between the 633 features that you mentioned (automix, compactness) over the expandability of the 664 to utilize 12 channels... I don't even have 8 channels of wireless right now... but I figure it might be smart to buy something I can grow into... or just go with 633 and sell it when i actually need a larger mixer. hmm. indecision is a bitch. 

1 of the reasons I went for the 633 is the ease of renting a larger 688 if needed and the operational differences between a 633 and a 688 are so slight as to be able to jump right in if you need to. If most of your jobs are less than 6 channels, save your back (a bit) with the lighter machine and hire the bigger 1 (and a mini cart :-) if you need.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

1 of the reasons I went for the 633 is the ease of renting a larger 688 if needed and the operational differences between a 633 and a 688 are so slight as to be able to jump right in if you need to. If most of your jobs are less than 6 channels, save your back (a bit) with the lighter machine and hire the bigger 1 (and a mini cart :-) if you need.

Very good call daniel! I have my eye on a 633 and I think I'm going to pull the trigger until I consistently need the extra channels, and like you said I can always rent until its a common thing. Thanks for the input! 

Nate

On 8/29/2018 at 6:22 AM, IronFilm said:

A Zoom F8n sound cart at work on its first feature film for me with the F8n!

very cool to see it in action! 

12 hours ago, resoNate3973 said:

Probably within a few short years I'll be able to justify a 688. (kinda just waiting to see if say a 664 v2 or whatever gets released, once Sound Devices gets done releasing yet another MixPre recorder)

However I was kinda right on the knife edge between going with say a 633 or a F8n, as I could justify going either way. 
I'll probably be forever second guessing myself as to if I went with the right choice. 
But I felt the 633 had a few downsides itself if it was my main core recorder (such as only 3 mic inputs, couldn't do ambisonics, etc)

12 hours ago, resoNate3973 said:

But I just can't decide between the 633 features that you mentioned (automix, compactness) over the expandability of the 664 to utilize 12 channels...

Note that if you pick up a 664 (which I was also tempted to do, because it has the biggest discount on the 2ndhand prices of the entire 6xx series) then you'll find the 664 sometimes lacking a little vs the 633/688, as the 664 is the oldest of the 6xx series. (thus no 192KHz, no ambisonics, no automix, no SuperSlot, no PowerSafe, no QuickBoot, can't do I/O delay, etc)

9 hours ago, daniel said:

If you can easily access a 688 then going for a 633 for now as a personal recorder to own is also a really good choice, is probably what I'd do too.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Probably within a few short years I'll be able to justify a 688. (kinda just waiting to see if say a 664 v2 or whatever gets released, once Sound Devices gets done releasing yet another MixPre recorder)

- yeah I agree get something for now and see what comes next! 

However I was kinda right on the knife edge between going with say a 633 or a F8n, as I could justify going either way. 
I'll probably be forever second guessing myself as to if I went with the right choice. 
But I felt the 633 had a few downsides itself if it was my main core recorder (such as only 3 mic inputs, couldn't do ambisonics, etc)

- I agree, the lack of mic inputs coinciding with faders is definitely a downside for me. One of the reasons to jump to SD for me is because I just love mixing with their faders vs. Zoom. So on a 633 it kinda defeats the purpose a bit having to use those little knobs... 

Note that if you pick up a 664 (which I was also tempted to do, because it has the biggest discount on the 2ndhand prices of the entire 6xx series) then you'll find the 664 sometimes lacking a little vs the 633/688, as the 664 is the oldest of the 6xx series. (thus no 192KHz, no ambisonics, no automix, no SuperSlot, no PowerSafe, no QuickBoot, can't do I/O delay, etc)

^^ Having those bells and whistles would be nice, but I find I'm almost never using any of that stuff, and don't have many issues changing batteries or booting quickly, and rarely am I recording over 48khz (plus I have the zoom for that if needed)... Tho the automix would be really nice, and allows you to not have to pot down people left and right. I guess just try it and see right! haha. 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you can easily access a 688 then going for a 633 for now as a personal recorder to own is also a really good choice, is probably what I'd do too.

I sold my F8 to grab a 664 on an amazing deal, but honestly I'm just schemeing on how to get back another F8 and sink the extras into better mics for the pole. The limiters and the pres are obviously different, but it's in "eye-squint" territory for me, and if I'm relying on lavs, why even sweat the mic pres. The 668 seem to "have it all" but I'm just not there yet justifying that price.

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated elsewhere, "Use the F8 3.5mm sub out jack in (-10dB) line level with a SK100 portable Tx with a line-level plug config. (Ring=positive; Tip grounded to sleeve/shield). Otherwise I do not think the low voltage bias current of the SK100 would do any damage, though you should probably ask a Zoom tech."

7 hours ago, Paul F said:

I want to connect a Sennheiser G3 transmitter to the sub-out on the F8 to send to the boom operator. Has anyone tried this? I'm concerned about damaging the F8 by sending condenser mic power from the G3 mic input back to the F8.

I haven't used specifically a G3 TX, but I use my Sony TX with the F8n's sub out all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! This is my first post reply in this amazing group. I've been reading about the F8 and F8n in here. It seems lots of people where really excited about this new release by Zoom. 

I am considering buying either an F8 or a F8n. But the F8n hasn't really convinced me with the new features, regarding that the firmware update for the F8 brings a lot of the new features to it. 

Now that the two of them, with the firmware update, are out there. Do you really think it makes sense to pay the price difference between the two to get the F8n? 

8 hours ago, gastibarroule said:

Do you really think it makes sense to pay the price difference between the two to get the F8n? 

Here’s a comparison chart between the F8n and F8 from Zoom, as well as Curtis Judd’s video comparing the two. As of this writing, if you need…

• XLR line level (switchable) inputs
  • Professional line level outputs
  • A (reportedly) better-sounding headphone amplifier
  • Timecode that maintains accuracy when powered off
  • A higher voltage range
  • A simpler way to power an FRC-8
  • Simultaneous recording to SD cards while used as an audio interface

…then the F8n is for you.

Edited by Daniel Ignacio

40 minutes ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Here’s a comparison chart between the F8n and F8 from Zoom, as well as Curtis Judd’s video comparing the two. As of this writing, if you need…

• XLR line level (switchable) inputs
  • Professional line level outputs
  • A (reportedly) better-sounding headphone amplifier
  • Timecode that maintains accuracy when powered off
  • A higher voltage range
  • A simpler way to power an FRC-8
  • Simultaneous recording to SD cards while used as an audio interface

…then the F8n is for you.

I believe that:

headphone amp is the same.

Timecode generator is the same.

Simultaneous recording to SD while used as an audio interface works on both of them.

Please feel free to correct me of course. That is my impression.

F8N: Switchable line I/P on XLR and pro level line O/P are worth the extra as the work rounds for either are not great for location people. Eg F8: carry different cables if you want the option to switch mic/line I/P and then add some redundancy to that (not to mention re-patching cables in the bag). Or for some reason your producer/director/camera op want line into their camera and a radio hop is not an option. At c. €1000 the chances are your radio channels and boom rig each cost more.

19 hours ago, gastibarroule said:

Hi everyone! This is my first post reply in this amazing group. I've been reading about the F8 and F8n in here. It seems lots of people where really excited about this new release by Zoom. 

I am considering buying either an F8 or a F8n. But the F8n hasn't really convinced me with the new features, regarding that the firmware update for the F8 brings a lot of the new features to it. 

Now that the two of them, with the firmware update, are out there. Do you really think it makes sense to pay the price difference between the two to get the F8n? 

Don't forget that this is also a revision of a product, so although I can not backup my claim with any evidence, it is most likely that they upgraded some parts of the design under the hood we don't directly notice as an improvement. Think thinks like better shielding, stronger connectors for screens (the first generation had a problem in the beginning causing screens to go white). 

If you can live w/o some of the new features, you can probably save a lot of $$. Depends on what new features are important to you. For instance, I frequently need +4dB outputs for ENG work and the work-around would require some kind of line driver.

"I believe that: headphone amp is the same"

- Allegedly, the HP circuitry has been improved.

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

"I believe that: headphone amp is the same"

- Allegedly, the HP circuitry has been improved.

From the official Zoom F8n site 

"That is why updates have been made to the F8n's headphone processing to maximize all three (volume, clarity, immersion). A digital boost has been added to minimize ambient bleed, which can cause comb filtering resulting in poor audio quality".

The digital gain boost has been added to the F8, and both have 100mW max output level. I understand that "processing" happens in software level, not hardware or else it would be clearly mentioned by Zoom, but I can't be sure of course and I may interprating it wrong.

Zoom F8n is 1199euros, while the F8 is 699.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:09 AM, gastibarroule said:

The F8n was a big update the F8

But yeah, then with the big firmware update to the F8 it closed the gap back up again. 

For most people I'd suggest looking for a bargain secondhand F8. 

However if you want to buy new then the F8n might be the way to go if stocks of the F8 are gone, or if you'll be using the recorder heaps then the price difference between the two you might see as being small enough not to matter much. 

On 10/6/2018 at 3:27 AM, Vincent R. said:

Don't forget that this is also a revision of a product, so although I can not backup my claim with any evidence, it is most likely that they upgraded some parts of the design under the hood we don't directly notice as an improvement. Think thinks like better shielding, stronger connectors for screens (the first generation had a problem in the beginning causing screens to go white). 

Only for their first batch of F8 recorders, so any F8 made this year or last year wouldn't suffer from the infamous "White Screen of Death".