Zoom F8n.

Thank you all for the very detailed replies! 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:04 PM, Rick Reineke said:

If you can live w/o some of the new features, you can probably save a lot of $$. Depends on what new features are important to you. For instance, I frequently need +4dB outputs for ENG work and the work-around would require some kind of line driver.

"I believe that: headphone amp is the same"

- Allegedly, the HP circuitry has been improved.

That's my situation right now. I'm leaning more towards the F8, because I haven't been in need of the +4dB output, and I don't really feel it will come soon. Until now, my only use for the outputs was to make a wireless camera hop. I choose the Sennheiser SK / EK - 300 model, for a scratch track. 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, daniel said:

F8N: Switchable line I/P on XLR and pro level line O/P are worth the extra as the work rounds for either are not great for location people. Eg F8: carry different cables if you want the option to switch mic/line I/P and then add some redundancy to that (not to mention re-patching cables in the bag). Or for some reason your producer/director/camera op want line into their camera and a radio hop is not an option. At c. €1000 the chances are your radio channels and boom rig each cost more.

For now I'll be renting all my wireless systems, so I can choose my receivers output level to my need (limitation). I'll be using it the most for mic level inputs. 

So thank you very much everyone! I think I'm buying the stuff today. Wish me luck for not getting caught in buying triple of what I needed without having the money. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://wavreport.com/2019/02/27/review-zoom-f8n-the-full-realization-of-the-f8/

Final Thoughts

I would take, and have taken, the F8n into battle.  It not only held up to expectations, it in many ways exceeded them.  With a robust build quality, intuitive user interface, clean gain staging, great accessories, and shiny LED’s, I think that Zoom knocked it out of the park.

For a company that most pro audio users steered clear of in the past, they have certainly come a long way.  Stigma is a tough thing to surmount.  Because of the general climate of the industry as well as their past, it will take some time before Zoom can totally escape being thought of as prosumer.  However to those who spend some real time with the F8n,  I believe that the majority will see what a supreme effort that Zoom has given to delivering a product which professionals want and need at a shockingly low price, given its features.

The F8 was a novel effort, and they got a lot right with it.  But in the end, it felt like a prototype or a proof of concept for what would become the excellent F8n; and excellent it is.  I think that anyone wanting to build an indie kit would do very, very well with the F8n.  Keep going Zoom, because there’s still room in the world for more options.  Your presence in the higher end fields will only cause everyone else to innovate more.  Kudos to a job well done, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

I didn't read the article because I am leaving for work right now, but why exactly the F8 is an "experimental" device? I choose the F8 and I believe I saved quite a lot (1200€ vs 700€).

Is the original any inferior than the n in build quality? I wouldn't think so..

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I didn't read the article because I am leaving for work right now, but why exactly the F8 is an "experimental" device? I choose the F8 and I believe I saved quite a lot (1200€ vs 700€).

Is the original any inferior than the n in build quality? I wouldn't think so..

I would say it depends on your needs; If you NEED the (software) switchable line/mic inputs, +10dbV line out, running 4S batteries (16.8v charged), you can not find that on a F8, you NEED the f8n. If you can work around that, which is totally doable, the original F8 is all fine.

• 1 month later...

Does the automix feature on the F8 work when you're in standby, or do you have to be in record mode?

I don't think I can hear it working at all, but I wasn't sure if that was be cause it's so subtle (some adjustment parameters sure would be nice), or because it doesn't run if you're not recording. I'm mixing live to broadcast in this case.

Did I mention that the tiny sharp faders on this thing are terrible? 

AW

14 hours ago, Adam White said:

Does the automix feature on the F8 work when you're in standby, or do you have to be in record mode?

I don't think I can hear it working at all, but I wasn't sure if that was be cause it's so subtle (some adjustment parameters sure would be nice), or because it doesn't run if you're not recording. I'm mixing live to broadcast in this case.

Did I mention that the tiny sharp faders on this thing are terrible? 

AW

There are at least 2 solutions for bigger ones (3D printed).

One from Seattle with similar, but much bigger ones (try ebay), and one from Spain (EFKsound), which are round, multicolored and laser engraved which are the ones I preffered. 

Very professional made, very good communication and you get an invoice also (if you are EU based it may matters to you).

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has had a similar issue to one that happened to me this weekend.

I just purchased a used F8n (not from an authorized retailer, which I am already regretting) and took it out for a shoot this weekend. I had done a test shoot the day prior to make sure TC workflow was good and had no issues using a Tentacle Sync unit to send TC to the Zoom.

On the shoot day, I go to send TC to the Zoom and can't get it to recognized the external TC from the Tentacle. I was going to just unplug and replug in the Tentacle to BNC cable and see if that fixed it and realized that the BNC connector was quite stuck. I ended up having to use a wrench to depress the connector enough to get it loose. I was able to successfully connect with the TC output connector on the Zoom with the same cable, and successfully remove the cable from that port as well, so I was able to have TC for the day, but it would be great to not have a less than functional unit.

My best assumption, given that the same cable worked on the output port, is that it's an issue with the BNC input on the Zoom itself. I talked to Zoom and they said they had never heard of this issue before, so I was curious if anyone else has encountered this problem or something similar? It's possible there was a bit of stress on the cable from resting on the bottom of the bag I was using, but I tried to make sure the unit was supported so that there was no pressure on the cable, and Zoom didn't feel that this kind of usage would be likely to cause this issue anyway.

Just double checking here, you had set the timecode level on the Tentacle to line level and not mic level before attaching it to the TC input on your F8n?

As that would be the first possible explanation which pops into my mind as to why your Tentacle works with the output of the F8n but not the input. 

And yes, damage to the BNC connector isn't normal, did you force it too hard or otherwise damage it, how was the F8n sitting in your bag? Were you using the supplied cable from Tentacle or some other cable? 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread with a question about the Zoom F8.

I recently bought a used F8 in mint condition (cosmetically...) but it has the white screen of death, I got it for $120 so I thought maybe I could repair it. However... Something seems to be wrong with the headphone output as well, It gets screamingly loud and distorted as soon as I turn it up the slightest. I have managed to figure out how to get the device into Audio Interface mode by reading the manual and watching YouTube videos to figure out how many steps to turn the dial in the menu. I am now attempting to figure out how to do a factory reset but it doesn't seem to be right. Trying to find someone who has a F8 that could verify how many times I need to turn the dial and press the knob to reach the factory reset option in the menu.

What I have tried so far is: MENU (8 turns to the right, press the knob), (8 turns to the right, press the knob), (Turn to the left and press the knob).

My question also is, can the headphone output be set to different default output levels or do you think that the headphone out is faulty as well?

Assuming the F8/F8n menus are the same, the software can be reset in the 'System' menu, select 'Factory Reset',

Download and install the latest firmware update as well from Zoom.

You can save your customization settings (rec. metadata, routing. ect ) to an SD card if you like for recall.

You can change the amount of overall gain for the HPs 'Output> Headphones> Digital boost', but that will not preset the volume fader.  I would suspect the headphone issue is going to need a trip to factory repair. Long Island, NY in the USA.

19 hours ago, Mrmusic said:

I recently bought a used F8 in mint condition (cosmetically...) but it has the white screen of death, I got it for $120 so I thought maybe I could repair it.

If you can fix yourself the white screen of death, but can't resolve this headphone issue, this might be a workaround of sorts to use (together with the TA3M outputs): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1539349-REG/polsen_pma_2b_personal_stereo_in_ear_monitor.html

You'll have scored yourself an amazing sub $200 field recorder!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you can fix yourself the white screen of death, but can't resolve this headphone issue, this might be a workaround of sorts to use (together with the TA3M outputs): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1539349-REG/polsen_pma_2b_personal_stereo_in_ear_monitor.html

You'll have scored yourself an amazing sub $200 field recorder!

Yes, I was in contact with the repair shop today and they told me that I could have the screen replaced for $100, I guess that is fair. My hope then is that I can resolve the headphone issue, otherwise I will look into the Polsen unit, thank you very much for the tip.

3 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

Assuming the F8/F8n menus are the same, the software can be reset in the 'System' menu, select 'Factory Reset',

Download and install the latest firmware update as well from Zoom.

You can save your customization settings (rec. metadata, routing. ect ) to an SD card if you like for recall.

You can change the amount of overall gain for the HPs 'Output> Headphones> Digital boost', but that will not preset the volume fader.  I would suspect the headphone issue is going to need a trip to factory repair. Long Island, NY in the USA.

Since the screen is dead, all white, I can't get the the factory reset menu option but If someone could tell me how many clicks I have to turn to get to 'System' after pressing the Menu button and then how many clicks to get to the 'factory rest' option then 'yes'. I could probably do it blind since I managed to get in into audio device mode like that after studying the manual and a few YouTube videos. Anyone with a F8 that could take some time to look into it? :)

Sorry, I forgot about the screen o' death

anyway, here is the Factory Reset sequence on a F8n, I do not know if the F8 is exactly the same.

- Select the 'Menu' button
- Rotate the 'Enter' knob clock-wise a few turns to reach the last menu item
- Counter clock-wise (back) TWO (2) clicks (System menu)
-   Enter
- Clock-wise a few turns to reach the last System menu item
- Counter clock-wise ONE (1) click (Factory Reset)
Enter
- Counter clock-wise (back) ONE (1) click   (Yes)
Enter
- Menu
- Power down

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

Sorry, I forgot about the screen o' death

anyway, here is the Factory Reset sequence on a F8n, I do not know if the F8 is exactly the same.

- Select the 'Menu' button
- Rotate the 'Enter' knob clock-wise a few turns to reach the last menu item
- Counter clock-wise (back) TWO (2) clicks (System menu)
-   Enter
- Clock-wise a few turns to reach the last System menu item
- Counter clock-wise ONE (1) click (Factory Reset)
Enter
- Counter clock-wise (back) ONE (1) click   (Yes)
Enter
- Menu
- Power down

Thank you, it says in the F8 manual that "The settings will be reset and the power will automatically turn off" I haven't gotten it to do that so I'm questioning if I'm finding my way to the right place in the menu.. Anyways, I'm going to try it again and see what happens.