The Black art of Wind Protection on Lavs

My pleasure. I'm glad it worked for you.

I also keep a mike pre-rigged to a degree. I have a Sonotrim that suffered some damage at the head. The electrics are fine but the plastic head will no longer comfortably fit a vampire. So I just designated that as a Rycote Stickie mike and keep it with a Rycote mount and corn pad attached. It's good to have some application for a mike that might otherwise have to be tossed.

David

David's use of Corn Pad's is a great example an inventive approach to help improve the odds on getting a cleaner track, does anyone have any other inventive methods they use to help improve the odds on set.

I think the way we freely share our ideas and experiences sets us apart in some way from other Film technicians, Thomas Causey's November posts being a great example, I introduced a focus puller to this forum and he was amazed by the great sharing that occurs in every way, he also loved Thomas's posts.

Brian 

• 7 months later...

Just finished a 3 day shoot on a boat with lots of wind.  I used a Sanken Cos-11 with the small metal mesh windscreen and a microcat fur on top.  The "thing" was taped to the chest of the talent using 3M transpore tape.  No problem at all, No wind and no clothing rustle.  Talent changed shirt 6 times and was never an issue.

Pascal

• 2 weeks later...

I have a some more to add from the DIY side of COS-11 taming.

The Rycote system is great - but the cost. Another recordist and myself devised our improvisation of the Rycote method to deal with windy conditions when mic'ing up 12 people. I bought quarter of a metre of fake fur fabric from Spotlight (fabric and homewares chain)  - looks like Windjammer fabric. It's 1.6 metres wide. I cut little rectangles out of it  - roughly one inch by 3/4. Then using one inch wide double sided gaffer tape sandwich the mic head (with or without the Sanken pop stopper) between the faux fur and the tape. Peel off the double sided outer protector to stick it on. If needed I reinforce the setup with Leuko sports strapping tape. At a rough guess I can probably get 250 out of the one piece that cost A$10. Hard to argue against on the cost front. Anyone else tried this method?

Chris B

Chris,

I do that all the time. I have some squares of fake fur that I use, both on the inside of a shirt to lessen chest hair noise and/or over a sanken rubber mount or millimic turtle mount to stop wind. As always sometimes they work wonderfully , other times I'm thinking oh damn now what...

I also have some fabric from an old rycote high windcover that are good for lower profile rigs, roughly 1 inch square. One thing I've noticed is that when placed between the offending chest hair and shirt it will deaden the voice some (less chest resonance), a small trade off I think.

With the millimic turtle mount I just put a spot of topstick to hold the (other brand lav) in place or even use bluetac sometimes ,also it helps to put a small strip of TS on the "overbar" to hold fabric/shirt in place.

Grant.

Grant,

Like you said. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's back to the drawing board. And you're right about chest hair. It's a bugger - sometimes the faux fur works - sometimes it doesn't - especially when the chest hair get stuck in the double-sided/sports tape. Yeow!

Chris B

Hi Jason.

I've found it a little hit and miss, but the best place in person is either Woolworths, or a chemist warehouse; but I usually get it from www.homepharmacy.com.au (http://www.homepharmacy.com.au/products/products_view.cfm?ProductID=4024).  it's the Dr scholls stuff which doesn't come in Strips, so much as little sheets. not the cheapest, but definitely works well; depending of course, on the shirt and miking requirements.

Ian

Do any of the Aussies here on the board know if there is somewhere in Sydney that sells the adhesive moleskin strips? I've found a few online medical supply stores but most seem to only ship within The U.S

Spotlight?

Cheers,

Jason