Time Code to Red Epic W

Phillip McCardie

Hey Guys, 

I want to throw my balls on the court, have not worked with TC extensively. About 5 months ago I started jamming and it has been only with the Alexa's 5pin lemo. I get back to the norm, and I get set for a Red Epic W shoot and I soldered a new 4pin LEMO for the shoot, and come to find out he had a 5pin (like the Arri) and a BNC. Unfortunately I did not have my 5pin with me, I know the older Reds had 5pin LEMO. Than I found out that they have other boosters that have a BNC solo TC in? I was wondering what tips you all may have that could steer me from stumbling like I did today?  

P.S. In any of this correct me if I am wrong, but why is this not streamlined to one input type?

Thank you for your Valued Time,

-Phil

Like many here I carry three to four times as much gear for Justin, as I do for me.  (You know, Justin Case) 

The other mistake you made is assuming that the producer or camera person told you everything you need to know.

1)  They seldom tell you everything you need to know, and

2)  Even those things can, and often do, change

Prepare (for whatever), prepare, and then when that's done... prepare!

Get a Tupperware tub and fill it with TC cables. CLC makes great little heavy cloth zipper bags too. Build a kit as you go. If you didn't have the cable at all, it would have been one thing, but it sucks to have needed it and not had it with you. Don't beat yourself up to badly. But realize your your own pilot, it's always your fault ( captain goes down with the ship). 

Have you heard of a "Go Bag", or "Bug Out Bag", or "First Aid Backpack". In the sound world I am officially naming it the Justin Case, after @John Blankenship. It is basically an emergency bag that every school classroom has. In the bag there is everything needed for an emergency. Most days the bag just sits on the wall, but one time the power went out and my classmates and myself ate the Chewy bars out of the bag ( no snack machine power). I know it sucks to carry extra weight and load extra cases, but thats what it takes to be a good pilot that doesn't crash. I try to carry everything I have in my inventory as a rule of thumb. 

18 hours ago, Phillip McCardie said:

P.S. In any of this correct me if I am wrong, but why is this not streamlined to one input type?

Its not profitable. Nobody does anything to streamline connectivity, quite the opposite. Marketing is seldom honest.

Shout out to Columbia MO! Go Tigers!

On 4/19/2018 at 5:45 AM, John Blankenship said:

The other mistake you made is assuming that the producer or camera person told you everything you need to know.

Once for a TVC I only got informed finally about the camera they're using during the drive down to the shoot (it was an out of town shoot). 

The director (who was in the car with me) told me it was an Arri Mini. 

Once I arrive, I wander over to the camera crew and I think "that is a funny looking Arri Mini!!"

In fact it looks suspiciously like a RED Epic.... ! ha