Things I found Helpful

T Spear

Just finished a tricky musical and would like to pass on a few things that were really helpful during the shoot.

Although most of the playback was off a protools rig when we had to get more portable such as self drive car scenes and really long steadicam street shots, playback was really simple using a mobile phone and the free app Go Button. Awesome for simplicity.

Pro Tools was also great as a playback system just using a laptop and sending one track to my recorder (editorial) and the other to the talent in ear system with a specific eq and a bit of compression. 

The Phonak Roger system was amazing and helped us gather a vast number of useable sync performances.

Back to basics the fabulously staunch K&M 259/1 mic stand is amazing. In cars this is so easy to sneak in, chuck a sandbag on it and get a real mic in to the right spot. And it is really great for wide shoots for table scenes. We kept a mic (generally a MKH 50) on a wireless link on one of these stands  at all times and snuck it all over locations and sets to pick up a lot of great dialogue.

As always having enough carpet and sound absorption around was great. Nothing seems to change the ol bathroom boom  as much as filling the bath and sinks up with cushions, carpet, anything available. Try it next time you find yourself cringing during a scene being blocked in a reverberation bomb of a bathroom. 

There were a lot of 60s heels and hard shoes on the shoot which we quickly fixed sound issues by having a small cloth some meths and after a very quick clean would stick on a bunch of pre stuck felt pads used for the bottom of furniture. Very cheap packs available at hardware and dollar shops.  Much faster and than cutting pre stuck and often ridiculously priced felt and foam.

As always nothing in our job is rocket science, just solving problems easily and often quickly.

I have always appreciated some of the great info found on this site. I hope this is of value to some of you too.

Thanks,

Tony Spear.

8 hours ago, T Spear said:

There were a lot of 60s heels and hard shoes on the shoot which we quickly fixed sound issues by having a small cloth some meths and after a very quick clean would stick on a bunch of pre stuck felt pads used for the bottom of furniture. Very cheap packs available at hardware and dollar shops.  Much faster and than cutting pre stuck and often ridiculously priced felt and foam.

I use these too! Good tip about using a bit of cloth and meths to clean the shoe first so that it sticks better.