Favorite Plug-Ins for Post

JonG

What are some of your favorite plugins for post production, and are any free? I’m getting back into post but since my absence a lot has changed. There are obvious ones like izotope but I’d like to see what the consensus is on others. 

I quite like the Avid Pro Limiter. That’s included with a Pro Tools HD upgrade package. 

DMG Audio makes some excellent stuff. Their EQ’s (Equality and Equick) are my go-to EQ’s. 

Massey Plugins are awesome too. 

Soundtoys gives some some free ones away from time to time. Cool little effects. 

-Mike

-- McDSP are some of the best; I wouldn't want to be without them.  Many notable award-winning music and film sound engineers agree.  Note that once signed onto their mailing list, they often offer specials. 

-- Massey are free to use.  To purchase and have the ability to save settings, their prices are quite reasonable.  The L2007 Mastering Limiter and CT5 Compressor and especially good.  Even if price is no object, they're still a top choice.

http://mcdsp.com/

https://masseyplugins.com/plugins

DMG Audio and FLUX::

https://dmgaudio.com/

https://fluxhome.com/

Ideal for essential of everyday use.

AudioEase / Indoor, Altiverb & SpeakerPhone

https://www.audioease.com/

Add reality.

Fabfilter Pro-DS

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-ds-de-esser-plug-in

most modern deEsser.

oeksound Soothe(recommended!!)

https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe/

suppress ess and hi-mid rageness with very natural sound.

Slate Digital VMR

http://slatedigital.com/virtual-mix-rack/

sweeten everything.

I like iZotope's RX for NR and spectral editing and Ozone for EQ, multi-band comp/limit. My (current fav) final plug-in is Tokyo Dawn's No 6 Limiter, which has five selectable stages.,, comp, peak limit,  HF limit, clipper and ISP protect.

no 6 temp.png

I have some Waves plug-ins, but their authorization is not reliable, (at least w/ Win 10), so sometimes they work sometimes they don't

+1 iZotope RX6. 

And if you're looking for free, there's one I wrote for my book's website.

Toner2.gif

It lets you take a short chunk of room tone -- like, from between "action" and the actual dialog -- and stretch it to any length without sounding looped. Since tone sometimes changes with different setups and during the course of a long shoot, I usually reach for this first.

Is it perfect? I use it only for repairs or under ADR, not for very long stretches. And since I built it, I haven't had occasion to take it to a fullsize dub stage... it seems to work fine in my surround room, and in theaters or on TV.

It could be improved... and you're welcome to mess with the algorithm. Everything's open source and documented.

Go to the site, navigate to the Free Plug-in on the right side of the page. Read the instructions. It requires a (free) library that you have to get from SourceForge. Mac VST or AU only.

--

What plug-ins do I miss? TC Powercore!

1 minute ago, Jay Rose said:

+1 iZotope RX6. 

Toner2.gif

It lets you take a short chunk of room tone -- like, from between "action" and the actual dialog -- and stretch it to any length without sounding looped. Since tone sometimes changes with different setups and during the course of a long shoot, I usually reach for this first.

Is it perfect? I use it only for repairs or under ADR, not for very long stretches. And since I built it, I haven't had occasion to take it to a fullsize dub stage... it seems to work fine in my surround room, and in theaters or on TV.

It could be improved... and you're welcome to mess with the algorithm. Everything's open source and documented.

Go to the site, navigate to the Free Plug-in on the right side of the page. Read the instructions. It requires a (free) library that you have to get from SourceForge. Mac VST or AU only.

--

That's a cool utility, Jay!

I currently have RX4 Advanced.  It's a great tool that I use on every project, but would you all say it's worth to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of it?

12 hours ago, codyman said:

That's a cool utility, Jay!

I currently have RX4 Advanced.  It's a great tool that I use on every project, but would you all say it's worth to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of it?

I believe the best features of RX are in the last two upgrades.

https://www.izotope.com/en/lp/rx5/Top-reasons-to-upgrade-from-RX-4-to-RX-5-Audio-Editor/

1. Instant Process: The one-click magic eraser for your audio. From unwanted coughs to scene-interrupting sirens, instantly paint away any audio problem in the spectrogram. Learn how to use Instant Process
  2. De-reverb: Reduce some of the reverb from a recorded space in order to make the dialogue usable. Salvage recordings of dialogue containing too much reverb/acoustic space without needing to spend time/money on a reshoot or ADR.
  3. Corrective EQ: Remove harsh high frequencies and whines, rumbles, resonances, and distortion artifacts, and accurately hone in on any problem frequency areas. Beyond a traditional equalizer, the Corrective EQ offers both an Analog and a Digital mode, in addition to remarkably high (up to 400) Q values for precision filtering of problem frequencies. In addition, the Digital filter shapes allow for more precise cuts than previously possible.
  4. Module Chain: Remove distortion, clicks, interference, and background noise, and smooth out inconsistent volume and ambience. Whatever the multiple editing tasks, they can now be accomplished in a single mouse click to fire off all of your editing tasks at once. Learn how to use Module Chains
  5. RX Connect & RX Monitor: Sync and integrate the power of the RX Audio Editor with any DAW or NLE timeline using RX Connect. Clip-by-clip and handles support added for the most efficient Avid Pro Tools workflow available.
  6. Presets: For the ultimate in sound quality and workflow efficiency, RX 5 Audio Editor includes 60 new problem oriented presets across several modules.

https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/audio-repair/top-reasons-to-upgrade-to-rx-6.html

• Reduce and remove unwanted mouth sounds including: breaths in vocal takes with Breath Control, distracting mouth noises with Mouth De-click, and plosives with improved De-plosive
  • Tame sibilances with Spectral De-ess.
  • Remove bleed from instruments, click tracks, and more with De-bleed.
  • Edit multiple audio files at once using Composite View.
  • Export audio to .mp3 directly from RX with MP3 Export.
  • Quickly select and process similar audio events with improved Find Similar functionality.
  • Use machine learning to remove mic rustle with a single click, using industry-first De-rustle
  • Clean up low-frequency wind rumble and bursts with De-wind.
  • Extract dialogue from noisy environments with complex background sounds using Dialogue Isolate.
  • Fill in ambience beds under dialogue, right from Pro Tools AudioSuite with improved Ambience Match.
  • Preserve or remove the center of a stereo file with improved Center Extract
  • Adjust levels of tones and noise independently with improved Deconstruct

13 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

+1 iZotope RX6. 

Toner2.gif

--

Wow!! This is just what I wanted some years ago.

and I found quite nice plugin suite.
https://lesound.io/
some natural phenomena generator.

http://tsugi-studio.com/web/en/products-quickaudio.html

This is not an audio plug-in.
It can display waveform in Windows Explorer like AudioEase Snapper.

22 hours ago, codyman said:

Oh yeah. The dialog isolate module uses a new principle for audio software, Neural Networks. It can do things that multiband expanders can only dream about. 

Also check the winter CAS Quarterly. I've got an article on what these things are doing under the hood. 

Ya since RX6 came out, myself and other sound editors I work with in nyc have been leaning more on the dialogue isolate module than the spectral denoise or dialogue/voice denoise modules for broadband noise reduction during our dialogue edits. Less artifacts and weird swells/dips of the background noise profile. Mouth de-click has also become preferred over de-click and de-crackle for myself at least, I notice less artifacts and loss of hi-frequency information. Very good on VO recorded by U87s (especially AI version) that tend to have a lil bit brittle top end imho. I still use de-crackle on more “crackly” sounds for lack of a better word, and a combination of de-click and spectral repair on more periodic clicks, thumps, and other transient noises.

as far as plugs, I lean most on stock Avid (7 band eq, Pro comp/limiter/mb/subharmonic, revibe, studio verb, de-esser, etc) since a lot of sessions I work on bounce around between different stages, mix rooms and edit bays. They get the job done for most of the stuff, though some standards like fabfilter pro-q, audioeade altiverb and indoor, etc are pretty universal on different post systems. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, JonG said:

What are some of your favorite plugins for post production, and are any free? I’m getting back into post but since my absence a lot has changed. 

If free is a criteria, then (re)learn to use stock plugins.  I could get by with Avid (or any DAW's) stock plugins. It's all about the technique and using your ears to hear where it should go then getting it there (in the time they paid for).

Not Free:

Avid Pro is god, but not free - subscription.

DMG:

Equilibrium

Compassion

FabFilter:

DS

Limiter L2

Cedar DNS ONE (distinctly NOT free, but you ASKED for favorites......)

Exponential Reverbs

Acon Digital De-reverberator

RX6 ADV -- using round-trip with the application

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...