MKH 8000 series Finish

KGraham045

59 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

They must have put the intern on the curing process then he just looked at his phone instead of doing his job. 

+1 for SCHOEPS/DPA

I was going to suggest disassembly and reapplying enamel, but for what you guys paid, Sennheiser should be much more responsive. 

I mean, if they under cooked the enamel, maybe they have cold solder joints too…Just sayin…Who knows where or when the QC fell off. I would think it would be in their best interest to leave you with a good impression after having this experience with their enamel finish failing. If you tell the right person, I bet they will take care of it immediately. The web contact link probably goes to a marketing questionnaire or Ai analytics algorithm. I don't think they bake enamel in house anyways, its probably done in batches by third party and they just got a bad lot. 

The company has other priorities, "focussed on gaming handsets and affordable wireless headphones". Pro Audio is not as much of a money maker as consumer junktronics. 

Sennheiser seems like a solid family owned audio electronics company. @SennheiserPS

I look forward to hearing good news. 

"Also in 1991, Georg Neumann GmbH, Berlin, which builds studio microphones, became a part of Sennheiser."

I fox with Neumanns big time. 

Take it up the ladder.

That sounds like a scripted automatic email response. 

Don't give up, I know its a major bummer. 

The alternative is just to strip it with thinner and leave it bare, however that could lead to rust oxidation. 

6 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Take it up the ladder.

That sounds like a scripted automatic email response. 

Don't give up, I know its a major bummer. 

The alternative is just to strip it with thinner and leave it bare, however that could lead to rust oxidation. 

Write a detailed explanation of the failure, how did it happen, specifically, when did it start, did it progress? Was there any cleaner used? Atmospheric conditions? 

It kind of depends on how much noise you want to make about this. 

Personally if I dropped $1k+ I would be looking for answers. 

I use Sennheiser MKH8000 series on my general day to day work. I take very good care of my mics. I’ve had this MkH8060 for 2 years. Nothing out of the oridinary has happened.

I take the mic in and out of my Rycote Mount But am always careful not to dent or chip the paint . The paint just started to chip. I’m trying to combat it, but obviously if it starts it’s going to progress.

No cleaner or anything

I feel your pain.

I tend to baby my mic's. 

You might have to squeak to get some grease. 

Someone who is of lesser values might just repaint and hock it on eBay…Buyer beware. 

I tend to have a sentimental emotional connection to my mic's, this adds to the discomfort felt by any damage. Not everyone feels this way though. 

I would suggest emailing marketing directly or a sales director or some form of higher up. Include lots of High Res Color photos of the issue and you on set looking like a rock star. Going into a long detailed explanation of your experience and issues with this microphone and how the failing finish will directly effect your brand image and make you not look as good as you could. Potentially your perception on set will be diminished if the client thinks your equip is not top tier. Despite the fact the mic functions %100 and the issue is purely cosmetic, people tend to be influenced by the way things look.  This will take some email back and forth and some research, but imagine how good you will feel if @SennheiserPS ponies up and does the right thing here. 

Another option is just cover it in black paper tape and call it a day. 

3 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

I got this response

Thank you for contacting the Service Department. Unfortunately, there is no warranty for the finish or paint on a product. We do not paint or do cosmetic work for microphones. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

As a Sennheiser owner-user, Schoeps owner-user, DPA/B&K owner-user ...

I have to say this ought hopefully be brought here to the attention of Sennheiser. As I've said I own first generation 8040s with no problem. And other MKH mics.

I do hope we see a good resolution.

• 11 months later...

Bummer! I did notice that the Nextel used by Schoeps seems to be a bit more durable these days.. but remember seeing some CMC5's  peeling as well. It does seem like something they (sennheiser) should be fixing although its only cosmetic. My 8060s are solid up til now, but I see the finish does show rub marks quite easily from going in and out of suspensions

Cosmetic issues are just as important as functional issues. Having gear that looks well taken care of is an important part of running any business and presenting yourself as a professional.

Also, think about resale. I take allot of pride in my gear and if I decide to sell a mic that has missing paint and looks beaten up. It’s going to drop the resale price by quite a bit..