Mobile setup on location in Istanbul

jan deca

It seems there a lot of cables...

but i comes down to short XLR cables (Boom 1, 2) to Input 1,2 of the DEVA, the Receivers are internally wired to input 3,4,5,6 of the DEVA and there is a short Stereo cable from input 7,8 for an MS mic.

Also the videofeed from the Redcam was an IN and OUT...

so in full monty operation there are only those 3 cables to unplug +the Serial of the mix8.

I've found it quite handy so far.

Even a little cart was most of the time no option.

also because there was no cargo shipping, everything by normal airplane

The biggest advantage to my big cart setup (http://www.jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=3228.0),  is that moving from this setup to over the shoulder was a no brainer at all..

regards

Jan

It seems there a lot of cables...

but i comes down to short XLR cables (Boom 1, 2) to Input 1,2 of the DEVA, the Receivers are internally wired to input 3,4,5,6 of the DEVA and there is a short Stereo cable from input 7,8 for an MS mic.

Also the videofeed from the Redcam was an IN and OUT...

so in full monty operation there are only those 3 cables to unplug +the Serial of the mix8.

I've found it quite handy so far.

Even a little cart was most of the time no option.

also because there was no cargo shipping, everything by normal airplane

The biggest advantage to my big cart setup (http://www.jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=3228.0),  is that moving from this setup to over the shoulder was a no brainer at all..

regards

Jan

I'm very impressed.  I know from shooting in Europe and Asia that locations there are often too small, steppy and convoluted for any sort of cart, and then there is the airline baggage issue.  It looks like you've done a very intelligent setup here.  I think I remember that you were powering your Rastorder cart setup w/ two V-back Dionix lithium batteries--are you doing the same here?  Where in this set up are your wireless RX?

Philip Perkins

Can you explain the cage around the mic on the stand next to your gear. I assume this is the framework for wind screen wind protection. Who makes that rig?

Don, that's the Cinela windscreen, done by the same company that does the exotic shockmount we looked at together in France. I have been trying to get my hands on this windscreen for about a year now and no one has them "in stock" here. Very expensive but adheres to so many of the good principles of design and function that you have worked out over the years, it looks really promising. That's what I said about the DPA Windpac though and that item never really worked out. It did share with the Cinela one feature --- high price!

-  Jeff Wexler

Thanks all for your replies.

Don,

The shockmount here is indeed made in France, by cinela. This one is called the Zephyx, made for a schoeps MS rig.

It's the only one from Cinela for Outside use, that means with a hairy windcover. It ships also with a neoprenelike windcover for light to medium wind.

It looks really fragile but I think it's the same as a Rycote.

I also have these mounts for a CMIT5 and a ccm6 41 from schoeps. I must say I'm really really happy with them.

In a rycote I often used a CUT1 but that seems to be totally unnecessary now. (i sell 2 of the Cut1 now... anyone ?)

I feel you can use the schoeps with the Cinela as a golf club and still have no boomhandling noise at all...

Philip, Paul,

My Receivers are the same as on my 'mothership' the rastorder cart.

It's a aluminium Rig my boomman has constructed to fit 4 zaxcom receivers and a Micron amplifier adapted for use with Zaxcom.

If you want more pictures I can take more when I rig my cart again.

maybe the smaller picture below answers your question ?

I power the whole system with 1 Vlock battery, with Hirose splitters, It takes 2 days with just One battery.

The Mix 8 (smaller unkown version of the Mix 12 ) is powered by an NP1.

Jeff,

In Europe the price of the Cinela is still expensive but in my opinion, it was worth every penny.

If I'm not mistaken, the guy making them used to be a Ingenieur du Son, in France...

The mix 8 is in my eyes really expensive for what it does (8 faders and a trimpot) We are lucky with the Dollar-euro rate, but still...

it does the job really well,

Regards

Jan

post-256-130815080137_thumb.jpg

The Mix 8 (smaller unkown version of the Mix 12 ) is powered by an NP1.

Jeff,

In Europe the price of the Cinela is still expensive but in my opinion, it was worth every penny.

If I'm not mistaken, the guy making them used to be a Ingenieur du Son, in France...

The mix 8 is in my eyes really expensive for what it does (8 faders and a trimpot) We are lucky with the Dollar-euro rate, but still...

it does the job really well,

Regards

Jan

Thanks so much for the detailed rundown on your setup and the info on the Cinela windscreen. I think there are quite a few good alternatives to the shockmount but I think there is little if any competition for the windscreen design. You seem to indicate that it is very effective. I agree that even though expensive, in comparison, if it gets the job done (wind protection) and the mic sounds god, then it is worth it.

I have a MIX-8 as well and for those who are not familiar with it, it really isn't a baby MIX-12 since the MIX-12 does a whole lot more. The MIX-8 is a simple fader interface with trim control and LED gain indication. It is very well built and works perfectly. I don't think it is so expensive particularly when compared to the comparable Cantarem (for Aaton Cantar) which is almost double the price. Maybe there are some currency considerations here which is why I am not going to try and make any absolute comparative pricing.

-  Jeff Wexler

Thanks so much for the detailed rundown on your setup and the info on the Cinela windscreen. I think there are quite a few good alternatives to the shockmount but I think there is little if any competition for the windscreen design. You seem to indicate that it is very effective. I agree that even though expensive, in comparison, if it gets the job done (wind protection) and the mic sounds god, then it is worth it.

I have a MIX-8 as well and for those who are not familiar with it, it really isn't a baby MIX-12 since the MIX-12 does a whole lot more. The MIX-8 is a simple fader interface with trim control and LED gain indication. It is very well built and works perfectly. I don't think it is so expensive particularly when compared to the comparable Cantarem (for Aaton Cantar) which is almost double the price.

Maybe there are some currency considerations here which is why I am not going to try and make any absolute comparative pricing.

-  Jeff Wexler

Go for it. 1 Euro is $1.37usd. So a 10k euro item is $13,700 in USD.

Eric

There are indeed a few good alternatives for the shockmount, but IMHO these mounts are extremely good in reducing boomhandling.

For Schoeps I have both the OSIX2 for a CMC body and a MK41 capsule, and one for the CMIT5.

It's true they are expensive, certainly because you need a different mount for every microphonesetup.

The Zephyx is both great for windprotection and boomhandling (with the schoeps MS foam) and the Neoprene cover.

But if it gets the job done...

Jeff, thanks a lot for this site.

I purchased the MIX8 after doing some research here..

Really happy with it. It works great

Regards

Jan Deca

Brussels, Belgium

I'm most curious about the Micron antenna splitter.  I own three 700 series and every time I think I've seen every Micron accessory, I end up hearing about some other product that I never knew existed.

What's the model name/number?  Is it an older item?  Still available?

Surely expensive...

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

It's an active antenna splitter  called micron SDA 214-1

I have one for sale actually...

Both me and my boomer bought one, for use with our ZAXCOM Receivers.

Our Dealer www.audiosense.be adjusted it with the proper SMA and cablelenghts.

It's not cheap but it does the job really well !

If you're intrested mail me

Regards

Jan

I have seen this windscreen before-I believe it was being used by a German documentary group that was shooting in New York.

Both John and Glen are as dealers. Would be great if they could get a couple of demo units here in the States. I would love to experiment with one of them. Glen, John?

BTW-The overall geometric design reminds me of the old Electro-Voice 368 "football" windscreen, which I used early on with some stereo mike setups, before Rycote came out with their stereo windscreen. While the foam screen wasn't as effective as the Rycote furry, it is without a doubt one of the most transparent sounding windscreens I have ever use. My boom guys hated it for fishpole use, but on the Fisher it worked better than any combination of Rycote mount I have ever come up with (the Rycote primary screen material, being fairly solid, tends to transmit vibration picked up from the boom movement into the mike).

--Scott

Don, that's the Cinela windscreen, done by the same company that does the exotic shockmount we looked at together in France. I have been trying to get my hands on this windscreen for about a year now and no one has them "in stock" here. Very expensive but adheres to so many of the good principles of design and function that you have worked out over the years, it looks really promising. That's what I said about the DPA Windpac though and that item never really worked out. It did share with the Cinela one feature --- high price!

-  Jeff Wexler

BTW-The overall geometric design reminds me of the old Electro-Voice 368 "football" windscreen, which I used early on with some stereo mike setups, before Rycote came out with their stereo windscreen. While the foam screen wasn't as effective as the Rycote furry, it is without a doubt one of the most transparent sounding windscreens I have ever use.e).

--Scott

I built a custom windscreen out of two EV football windscreens, so the foam was actually doubled up with an airspace between, and it was a very effective windscreen. Don used this for several years, on the fishpole and the Fisher. The picture below is from "An Officer and a Gentleman."

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815080236_thumb.jpg