Opening idx np-l7s battery

Zach R

Has anyone had any luck opening an np-l7s battery without cracking/bending or tearing apart the plastic casing?

I have one that works fine but has something rattling around inside so I want to get in there. I know there’s the 4 screws but is the plastic bonded together as well? 

If you’ve had luck - what was your method?

If this has been discussed before I couldn’t find any answers. 

Thanks

That seems to be the only video I can find regarding this topic (I originally found it on this forum). While this was helpful for some things, unfortunately, that person is pretty much destroying the casing and then just glueing it all back together.

I'm hoping there's a way to open the casing that doesn't involve breaking it apart.

In taking it apart, are there tabs that need to be undone or is it two pieces that slide together and are just held by the adhesive? 

I dont mind having to glue it together. My question is if “you can take it apart carefully without destroying it” - what is the best method to do so?

3 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

Unscrew and very gently pry apart.  Getting started is the hardest part. 

Glen have you done this before? Did you do anything to soften the adhesive?

i have electronic prying tools but the adhesive seems to stop them from getting in and to do their job - or being able to slide through the seams at all. I imagine it’s actually plastic bonding?

Yep - spoke to them already. I’m not looking to recell any batteries at this time.

While they were happy to recell any batteries I have, they wouldn’t give out any ‘trade secrets.’

I have seen work they’ve done recelling Anton Bauer batteries and they do a great job. Just not what I’m looking for. 

Through trial and error I think I found my answers.

For anyone interested in my findings:

•There are 4 screws in the corners at the top and bottom under the label. 

• there is an adhesive/bonding throughout the entire seam of the caseing. If you don’t easily find a starting point in the seam you will damage the caseing. And even If you do get a starting point - the other side will be very difficult to get off without damaging. 

• if you can’t get through the adhesive you will most likely damage the  caseing. 

Cheers

Ps. For some reason phone formatting is making part of this post bold/large. That’s not intential.