Location Sound Van build

thenannymoh

Hi folks - I've been putting together my sound van for a while, modifying a Dodge Ram 2016 Promaster City.  I'm sure others have done similar things, but I haven't been able to find builds specific to our industry (lots of stuff for handymen etc).  Still have lots to do:

- marine battery hookup for laptop and charging station powering

- ramp for the cart

- possible hookup for receiver fins

- wifi network for files and security

I'd love to see/hear what others have done, and get any advice on what I still have left to do. For context, I'm working smaller scale commercial shoots, docs, low/medium budget films, music.  If I was on higher budget stuff, this would like quite a bit different.  But here in Canada, with long distances to some locations, this setup is where I've ended up in terms of practicality and preparedness. 

cheers!

IMG_20180512_135218329.jpgIMG_20180512_135159665.jpgIMG_20180425_181511902.jpgIMG_20180512_133348766.jpgIMG_20180512_135122909.jpg

IMG_20180512_135102717.jpg

This is good for securing items. 

demo_erikson_etrack_d_ring_59131_644.jpg

E track

cache_2864995004.jpg

Scrap carpet the deck. 

2 hours ago, thenannymoh said:

- ramp for the cart

Poles along the inside of roof,

maxresdefault.jpg

208566e302d50fc4fddcc10cc32ce529.jpgThis is the best because it allows one handed put away. Try to be able to put away as much as possible one handed, with particular orientation, and repeat the process for maximum efficiency. 

Also have the folding cart dolly in its down unfolded cart position instead of upright dolly so that you can access individual cases from inside the loaded truck without having to unpack the dolly. 

The cart should look somewhat like this when secured to your van wall

P1070394cc-800x450.jpg

Sweet looking van. Tool boxes, you cannot stand on and they aren't impact resistant. Also they make you look like a contractor/plumber. I posted an amazon one day pelican case sale a few weeks back, I will let you know if I come across another deal!

There is definitely a process for loading the van and ensuring that when you have to slam on the brakes, or an accident occurs your stuff doesn't go flying into space. At the same time, you want to go home asap, not fuss with your stuff. That's where the rehearsed quick efficient repeated system comes into play.  You want to get the unload and load up times down to as short as possible so when you drive for many hours, you just roll out the back and hit record. Minimize unpacking and unloading as much as possible. 

I'm jealous of that van, Dodge makes a sweet ride. 

28 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Sweet looking van. Tool boxes, you cannot stand on and they aren't impact resistant. Also they make you look like a contractor/plumber. I posted an amazon one day pelican case sale a few weeks back, I will let you know if I come across another deal!

There is definitely a process for loading the van and ensuring that when you have to slam on the brakes, or an accident occurs your stuff doesn't go flying into space. At the same time, you want to go home asap, not fuss with your stuff. That's where the rehearsed quick efficient repeated system comes into play.  You want to get the unload and load up times down to as short as possible so when you drive for many hours, you just roll out the back and hit record. Minimize unpacking and unloading as much as possible. 

I'm jealous of that van, Dodge makes a sweet ride. 

All my cases lock together, and rubber tarp bungies keep them secure to the wire mesh so nothing moves in transit. 

5 hours ago, codyman said:

How are you liking the ProMaster City so far?  A seller in Huntington Beach seems to be selling them for less than $19k USD new these days which seems like a sweet bargain for what you get out of it.

So far, I feel there is very good value for cost.

The design, dimensions, layout are very practical. The 9-speed automatic transmission is a bit odd in practice.  The design is completely Fiat, and is geared to working in European cities with tight spaces, which lines up well with film work. Practical and not flashy: peefect for soundies 😀