Anchor vrs. JBL EONS and inverter.

tourtelot

Don't know where we were talking about this, Anchor speakers being good because of the built-in battery, even while they sounded pretty bad.  I have been experimenting lately with lots of things (see my MANY other posts<g>) because I have nothing else to do right now.

For the record, I have been running my two EON 15" for the whole morning, blasting into my garage door (neighbors must love this!) on a block battery and a 300W inverter.  They are listed at 145W each for a total only 10W below the rated capacity of the inverter, but the thing isn't even getting warm. Like the freakin' Engergizer bunny; almost no loss in battery capacity all morning.  I am going to let them go until 1) the battery drops below 11VDC or 2) my wife comes home from work, whichever is sooner.  These things sound great loud, and I don't like loud.  They seem to be pretty distortion free even at high SPL.

Seems like the battery issue of the Anchor is not a factor and the EONs sound WAY better.

D.

Trew Audio has this thing, which I was looking at a while back, if you want a cheaper battery operated speaker - And you can get handheld wireless for it too.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=918

Not sure how it sounds, but I'm sure Glen can chime in.

The JBL EON10 is smaller and easier to handle than the EON15, and sounds as good.  They are really great.  Lots of kick for a little speaker.  If the inverter woks out as well as Doug is writing, then that might be a good option, if it's not do cumbersome to lug the bits around.

And yes, Richard, it is sloooow - I am cleaning out my trailer, again!

Robert

I am using one of my 33AHr cart batteries and half way through the afternoon, I've used up about .7 volts.  I did plug the ammeter in place and cranking with some goodly amount of low end material, the inverter is pulling more than 10A on the bass peaks.  If I turn it up loud enough, it sucks the inverter dry and the speakers start to motorboat.  I think if I were going to do some loud-ass playback, I'd use the 600W inverter and then I don't think it would be anything but perfect (unless some helpful electrician brought me a stinger<g>).  Seems very workable as a battery run portable playback rig to me.

D.

Oh, I just re-read that post.  Can I say "typo?"  All better now.

Oh, and the two speakers ran loud the whole day and barely dented the battery.  I'd be pretty confident that they would be fine for most of the kind of playback that most of us would be ask to do on a movie or a series.

D.

Hey Doug, thanks for the test results.  I didn't quite understand your remark in regard to not trying to do a rap video with the 15's?

Could you please elaborate.

Thanks,

RVD

if you show up on set with 2- little Eon 10"s, the rappers might think they are not BIG enough. one playback mixer for music videos, brings the classic cabinet speakers. mostly as a props.

but ya, Robert the 10's are great. half the size and weight of the 15's to lug around, and they sound and perform just as fine.

Good Luck,

Frank

I wouldn't bring 10" speakers to a hip hop video, either, at least most hip hop, although I can imagine a scenario or two where it would pass.

I've worked with playback mixers who have had the 10" version and they have worked very well for normal playback situations on narrative / feature films.  I've never had to do playback on a set without AC power available, personally, but obviously the Anchors give an easier option in that situation than bringing an inverter and another 30ah battery.

Tim