Sound Professors At Film Schools and The Ethics Surrounding Them (Are There Any?)

Matt Bryant

Yes, I agree with what Jay Rose says above. I recently took a class by a post manufacturer designed to "train the trainer," informing us how to teach. Some of the people with me in the class were pretty lackluster as to how much they knew about the software, but when it came time to do a "teaching demonstration"... wow, they really knew how to teach. It's sort of like the difference between a guitar technician and a rock star: both can play the guitar, but only the latter can put on a performance. I had much more respect for the people who could teach after that experience.

I know that is very difficult find a guy that do the right job in this two sides, but isn't impossible. In my school all the teachers are important and awarded drama professionals (probably all except me) before start teaching, some can't be a good teacher and leave the job fast, but the teachers that remain are good professionals and good teachers. The main problem is to adequate the school calendar to the jobs (The price of active professionals as teachers)

Best

I've taught at a remarkable film school for 20 years and loved every minute.

Many people I work with in the NZ industry are past students but are now sound guys and gals

directors and also DP's

Teach details of the task, the conflicts and solutions and tell lots or war stories!

mike

On 5/24/2018 at 2:57 AM, Matt Bryant said:

I'm trying to reply with a meme but I just get a red highlighted error when I put a link into the Insert Other Media bar... Who is Mirror?  This person clearly sucks.

This guy of New Zealand decent, Matt MacLauchlan, claimed that was true for New Zealanders, or maybe they were shipped off to Australia and then moved over to New Zealand.  The dude would come over to my friends house and whip his balls out and now works in politics out in DC... him and his dad I guess felt my mothers pension was outrageous despite like, it being why my mother taught at UCD for 40 years... so, I have an unfair bias against new Zealanders, which he was, he loved the All Blacks, or whatever, the rugby team.  One of the single worst people in my life growing up... a cancer to social groups

You're never going to work in the business.  Too many problems to list. Good luck with life.  

17 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Love the stories posted here. Amen to Philip’s response.

The best film professor at the school I attended is, on paper, an industry has-been. But he’s anything but a burnout when it comes to his passion about filmmaking and teaching. He’s prolific at getting core concepts to stick in the minds of his students, to the point where it mattered little that our underfunded department’s equipment was older than many students. People made good work. Best of all, he really loves his students and his passion for film rubs off on everyone he’s taught.

Perhaps the notion that “those who can’t do, teach” is true, but I think it’s completely irrelevant when there are people learning.

I get that.  A lot of the time it really does boil down to luck.  You either are in the right place and time to make important contacts or you're not.  Some people have the personality to hold on to those contacts and some people are not built like that.  And after years of grinding, with some good years and some sparse years, the lure of regular employment with a pension and health plan that you can get from teaching starts sounding pretty good to them and their family.  Stability.

Working in the film biz is like running away and joining the circus.  It's great when you're young but wears on you when you're older.

.However, I don't think they should let someone teach film unless they've actually worked in the biz and wrestled around in the mud.

• 3 years later...

I barely made it trough the initial OP but Chat Gunter is also my mentor and he is a union brother through and through. He would never promote pain to students. I was his student and he still worked as my boom opp when production tried to trick him into undercutting me as a location owner he swung the pole and taught me