Audix SCX1 HC and Sennheiser MKH 416 Audio Sample.

dgirtsman

Just to give you a sense of the difference in sound between the Audix SCX1 with hypercardioid capsule and the Sennheiser MKH 416. Recorded on a Sound Devices 633 in the same room, at the same distance and with the same gain settings. No additional processing has been done to the audio. I know, it's like comparing apples and oranges, but I thought it may be useful to someone?

Listen to the audio sample on Soundcloud here!

19 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

How far from the subject were the mics? They sound very similar at the given distance. Now move both back about 2-3 feet and listen for the difference.

Hi Eric. The mics were approximately 18" from my pie-hole. You can definitely hear the difference when listening on headphones. The Audix doesn't have the "bite" that the 416 does, but for the money, it sounds pretty good to me. I think it may work nicely on some of the more edgy sounding voices? For $300 used on Ebay, I couldn't pass it up. Don't tell my wife....

I would agree that the 416 has a little more bite and a little more natural sounding. For a voice over I might choose the Audix out of these two samples. It seems warmer and more pleasant with the highs rolled off a little. On-location performance for normal dialogue and in a more testing environment may yield a different opinion from me however.

57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What makes it a "416 killer"?! Is surely likely the 416 will still have its place in a person's kit. 

Cos if it's sound/usage is comparable to (or better than) a 416, weight/size/price/reputation will make it very attractive? I like my 416 and CS3e but the big rycotes less so. It looks like the bottom end might be better balanced for boom use than the 8xxx series and its $500 cheaper (and smaller) than an 8060. It's $850 cheaper than the 8060 with the filter module. At 104mm, with a LP XLR, it might even fit an extended BBG.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What makes it a "416 killer"?! Is surely likely the 416 will still have its place in a person's kit. 

It does everything a 416 can do but it does it better although the pattern is a bit wider.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

But will the CS-M1 be as indestructible as the 416 is famous for being? I am skeptical. 

Only time will tell.

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I picked one up on eBay this month for US$250 😉 You probably shouldn't tell your wife that either...

If you don't tell, then I wont!

15 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

Coming in about 2 weeks, the 416 killer. The Sanken CS-M1 @ $895. It's 4" long and It's going to be a game changer.

Sanken CS-M1.jpgI'm looking forward to hearing this!

4 hours ago, r.paterson said:

The sanken cs-m1 will need a proper shockmount  the k-tek covers the ports and the rycote lite is longer than the mic itself..the new cinela looks like a good option..

Which K-Tek mount are you talking about? Here's one Sanken shows on their CS-M1 page, the KSM1 Shockmount, which looks like something from K-Tek (and probably brand new and just barely or not quite available).

http://www.sankenmicrophones.com/production/shotguns/cs-m1/

And I'd guess Rycote and others will have something in the works. But ya, a proper mount for this very short mic will be important.

CS-M1_Shockmount.jpg

31 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

How would you compare it to the CS1e?

-Mike

I have no experience with the 1e. You'll have to be the judge when you hear the M1. The LF gradual roll off is amazing below 100hz as it allows the voice to be above the ambience with out any artifacts. IMO, with in reason it sounds better than any other shotgun I've used or heard but that of course is personal opinion.

20 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

I have no experience with the 1e. You'll have to be the judge when you hear the M1. The LF gradual roll off is amazing below 100hz as it allows the voice to be above the ambience with out any artifacts. IMO, with in reason it sounds better than any other shotgun I've used or heard but that of course is personal opinion.

Interesting. I guess I’ll have to check it out!

-Mike

On 5/20/2018 at 12:36 AM, Eric Toline said:

Hi Eric,

Even MKH 50 (ok, no shotgun)?