What you you recommend to power the MixPre 3

bamboozledguy

I have the MixPre 3 and Im looking for the most compact/cost effective way to power the unit. I know that there are at least a dozen ways to power the MixPre 3 from battery sleds to Hawkwoods HiRose/L Mount adapters Im trying to decide which would work best in my case. Does anyone have any experience with any of the solutions below, Im currently using a Samsung S8 phone charger connected to the MixPre 3. I'm a YouTuber mainly so Im not mobile but it would be great not to limit myself and be able to change position of the tripod occasionally or even go mobile if needed. I've listed the top solutions for my workflow which would choose in my situation if you have other options feel free to mention them.

4 AA Lithium Ion batteries for my current 4AA battery sled 30$/ $30 for AA battery charger (Runtime could be an issue) (Compact)

MX-8AA - $65 + $40 8 Lithium Ion Battery + $40 AA battery charger (Runtime 4 hours unsure) (Compact solution)

Hawkwoods L Mount $145 + $80 battery + Battery charger $60 (Doesn't look like it'll fit under camera lens if mounted together)

Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C $65.99 (Difficult to mount on a tripod) (Cheap, good for mobile roaming)

Anker Quick Charge 3.0 $12 (Needed to charge PowerCore+) (Great for stationary shooting)

How are you mostly using the MixPre3? As that will determine a lot your choices for powering. On a tripod under a camera? In a bag? On a desk? A mixture? And long do you need it powered for, a few hours at a time, or 12 hour days, or somewhere in between?

21 hours ago, bamboozledguy said:

I have the MixPre 3 and Im looking for the most compact/cost effective way to power the unit. I know that there are at least a dozen ways to power the MixPre 3 from battery sleds to Hawkwoods HiRose/L Mount adapters Im trying to decide which would work best in my case. Does anyone have any experience with any of the solutions below, Im currently using a Samsung S8 phone charger connected to the MixPre 3. I'm a YouTuber mainly so Im not mobile but it would be great not to limit myself and be able to change position of the tripod occasionally or even go mobile if needed. I've listed the top solutions for my workflow which would choose in my situation if you have other options feel free to mention them.

4 AA Lithium Ion batteries for my current 4AA battery sled 30$/ $30 for AA battery charger (Runtime could be an issue) (Compact)

MX-8AA - $65 + $40 8 Lithium Ion Battery + $40 AA battery charger (Runtime 4 hours unsure) (Compact solution)

Hawkwoods L Mount $145 + $80 battery + Battery charger $60 (Doesn't look like it'll fit under camera lens if mounted together)

Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C $65.99 (Difficult to mount on a tripod) (Cheap, good for mobile roaming)

Anker Quick Charge 3.0 $12 (Needed to charge PowerCore+) (Great for stationary shooting)

Mr. Bamboozled-

I often run my mix pre 6 on camera and have a few ideas for you:

1. Get a camera cage and mount the mix pre d on the side of the camera rather than underneath. It'd be sweet if the MP series screen orientated accordingly but it does not. 

2. I have most the available powering options and of course it ultimately it depends on your setup but I've found that the Sound Devices L Mount used in combo with Sony NP-F570 (which I believe is discontinued but you can still find some if you look) lends the lowest profile. Another option if you power the camera externally using either V-Mount or Gold Mount batteries is to get the Hawkwoods Hirose power and just get a D-Tap to Hirose cable and power it. The AA's are low profile too but ultimately I end up swapping batteries too much using that powering method. 

I plan on using the MixPre 3 on a tripod mainly but wouldn't mind the ability to mount it on a table top tripod. I can see the MixPre 3 being connected to my computer as an interface hence the table top tripod. I would venture to guess that 2-3 hours would be the max running time needed for anything I use the MixPre 3 for unless circumstances change. 

+1 for the $66 Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, although you'll have to find a way to mount it. That rechargeable battery is long and a bit heavy, but you could tether it to a tripod leg with Velcro.

I just used my new MixPre-6 on three 13+ hour days (1 phantom powered mic + 3 lavs), and the Anker battery used about 50-60% of its capacity. At most, the battery/recorder was off for no more than 1 hour during each day. For a mere $66, its a pretty good power solution.

The only thing I don't like about this battery is the USB-C connection, but that's a requirement dictated by the MixPre. The L mount battery option would consume more space in my audio bag and require more frequent battery changes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZO46LK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will use the Location Sound Corp. Mix 3 pre power adaptor with another BDS set up and a couple lectro plugs for some wireless and my usual IDX- NPL-7S batts...  I already have all the stuff ...less the Power adaptor and this set up makes the most sense to me..  

I don't really want different batteries or chargers than I already use for my other bag rigs..  keep it simple...  

Personally, I prefer using the USB-C port as the main power source on the MixPre-3 and -6 over any of the aftermarket Hirose options. The reason for that is that when powering from the USB-C port I can still keep AA batteries in their tray attached to the MixPre as a backup power source in case anything fails. With the Hirose adapters you are limited to just that one source of power. 

I just loop the USB-C cable through the side peg of the MixPre and it’s pretty secure. 

-Mike

• 2 years later...

Have been using the Mix Pre 3 for live streaming. We run all cameras and the MP3 via AC adapters for live streaming as you cannot do battery changes, ever, during a live stream.

In the field for regular shoots, we have the Mix Pre 3 in a Ktek bag with the SD Sony NPF plate as backup and the Anker 20100 candy bar battery running into the USB C with the battery in the front puch of the Ktek bag. If the Anker USB C connection is ever ripped out, the Sony NPFs would take over powering chores. Has been bullet proof so far. We did an all day video shoot last week and the little MP3 was a champ and the sound was great.

4 hours ago, Paul Garafola said:

Dan, so those Anker candy bars have the power specs the Mix Pre series need???  

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1R4894VDENUV3&dchild=1&keywords=anker+21000&qid=1592182142&sprefix=anker+21%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-2

This is the one Sound Devices recommends.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-powering-options/

I use it myself, along with an L Sled.

17 hours ago, Paul Garafola said:

Dan, so those Anker candy bars have the power specs the Mix Pre series need???  

Yes, if you get the one that Sound Devices suggests, the +20100.

Wow, I just pulled up TVPostSounds link above, the price on this battery has dropped by 2/3 since I bought it a year ago, I think I paid $99.00 and now they are $32.49, killer deal, buy a couple.

I have several other Ankers I've used for years for charging phones, Go Pros and other small gear on the go, they really make great batteries. I have the Accssoon CineEye, a small HDMI to 5G wireless video transmitter that only has an internal battery that wears out in about an hour. I used that heavy duty hook and loop fastener and hooked a small Anker candy bar battery to the back of the CineEye and now it can stream video all day without needing a battery or charge. The Ankers are life savers.