MixPre Series Firmware v2.20 May 24, 2018 - Link

Dave

17 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I'm in the same boat as AFMY and Phillip.  I have had many conversations with commercial producers about always keeping the comteks silent except when rolling.  Directoes too who don't want client listening in on how they direct talent so they only provide feedback on the take, not on the direction.

A roll / cut based mute feature would eliminate a lot of other set conversations that I often have too, not just about client and director.  I am in such a habit of having everything muted always and pfl'ing when I need to listen (still wish the nomad pfl worked better than it does because of this) that I often get semi-panicked notes from camera/vtr that my reference hops or hardlines aren't working cause there is nothing showing on the meters.  Then they ask me to open a mic and I have to explain why I can't, but can send them tone if they want it.  I would love to be able to choose to mute certain outputs except when  rolling, but not others.  I have no interest in leaving some mics open (I can do that with a fader), for me it's all about an individual output control.

I would have built a box for this for the nomad already except you can't use gpio and a fader panel at the same time on that system, and the fader panel is way more important to me.

You could set your TC out to "Card" so that it only outputs when rolling or playing back. Then use the presence of the TC signal to open or close a reed switch which is inline with your audio output. Of course that becomes a pain because you'd have to switch back to "Generator" any time you need to jam TC to another device.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:07 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Maybe Aaton could figure this out....even just the outputable switch closure or etc....or Zax.

Both Aaton and Zaxcom Deva have had this for quite a while - the ability to alter what goes to which OP depending on the mode of the machine, including NO OP in certain modes. I cant remember if there is a similar feature for Zaxcom Nomad.

If you use this feature, and it is automatic - what happens to the clients/agency headphones during a rehearsal?

Have fun y'all, Simon B

On 6/1/2018 at 3:05 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Often prod. co producers spend a lot of energy keeping the agency folks at a physical distance from the set, sometimes ushering a small delegation in and out to speak with the director in person, otherwise they are supposed watch and listen from "the village".  On this subject the "strike zone" for the mixer is pretty wide, and in fact this matter takes priority over quality of sound recorded in the eyes of the production company.  Having the sort of automateable mute AFMY describes would lift a huge burden off commercial mixers.  If SD et al can't help, there is an opportunity here for a 3rd party solution, since many mixers would pay good $ for something that really works.

The MixPre3/6/10 recorders can all start/stop via the HDMI input, so arguably it would be possible to design a start/stop button which sends the HDMI trigger signal and also will unmute/mute the outputs passing through it as well. 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:17 AM, Patrick Farrell said:

You could set your TC out to "Card" so that it only outputs when rolling or playing back. Then use the presence of the TC signal to open or close a reed switch which is inline with your audio output. Of course that becomes a pain because you'd have to switch back to "Generator" any time you need to jam TC to another device.

Oh!! That is another good idea as well. 

54 minutes ago, Bash said:

If you use this feature, and it is automatic - what happens to the clients/agency headphones during a rehearsal?

Roll on rehearsals?!

On 6/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, Patrick Farrell said:

Never thought about doing it that way.  A bit cumbersome, but could work.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:40 PM, Wandering Ear said:

I'm in the same boat as AFMY and Phillip.  I have had many conversations with commercial producers about always keeping the comteks silent except when rolling.  Directoes too who don't want client listening in on how they direct talent so they only provide feedback on the take, not on the direction.

A roll / cut based mute feature would eliminate a lot of other set conversations that I often have too, not just about client and director.  I am in such a habit of having everything muted always and pfl'ing when I need to listen (still wish the nomad pfl worked better than it does because of this) that I often get semi-panicked notes from camera/vtr that my reference hops or hardlines aren't working cause there is nothing showing on the meters.  Then they ask me to open a mic and I have to explain why I can't, but can send them tone if they want it.  I would love to be able to choose to mute certain outputs except when  rolling, but not others.  I have no interest in leaving some mics open (I can do that with a fader), for me it's all about an individual output control.

I would have built a box for this for the nomad already except you can't use gpio and a fader panel at the same time on that system, and the fader panel is way more important to me.

100% in the same boat on this as the other gentlemen, this would be a very popular function addition to an already stellar recorder series.