Zaxcom ZMT-Phantom 2

Jeff Wexler

Zaxcom has just introduced a new ZMT Phantom that supports both phantom powered microphones and lavaliere mics. This is a great addition to the model lineup ---- now you will be able to use the ZMT-Phantom with lavs as well if you need to. Glenn did a video demo for Gotham which includes interesting explanation regarding full digital modulation schemes that Zaxcom wireless employ.

Glenn Sanders shows Peter Schneider the changes made in the new version of the ZMT3-Phantom, including selectable phantom power, so it works with shotgun mics or lavaliers.

after getting my purchased ZMT48V delivered by UPS 2 days ago and then receiving the newsletter yesterday saying there is a new version available I said: WTF!!! Why am I getting the old version when there is a new one announced 1single day later?!

I was furious and felt really bad. One night later I thought: why was my order postponed to end of May?! Maybe -  just maybe -  I have got the new version already?? And YES!! Its version 2 because I can switch the phantom to 3V! Thats awesome!!

I was just saying the other day to my BoomOp: if only Zaxcom would make the ZMT48 working with lavs too. It would be a no brainer to get a 2nd one for me. And here it is!

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

No Neverclip however, bit odd to be missing when this is one of the most defining features of the Zaxcom product line up. 

I've been using the original ZMT Phantom since they first were available in Australia and never once have I found the lack of never clip an issue.

For me the defining feature is being able to change the gain and frequency remotely in an invisible manner on the fly/during a take via Zaxnet.

I am stoked with the original Phantom and it shall remain my primary boom TX. The updated V2 has sold me on getting one for a couple of reasons; A. obvious option of being able to used as boom or talent TX and B. having all my boom mounts have the same header cable. 

It's no secret I am a loyal Panamic user and I find the ZMT-ph the perfect companion to this workflow wether in bag mode or in a drama team. 

1 hour ago, Matthias Richter said:

a few hours before the news to be correct

Crazy, you had a worldwide exclusive! 😉 Was awesome you automatically got the "upgrade" for your order! Good job Zaxcom. 

Was there no clear indication on the packaging that showed you'd got something a little different from what you'd ordered? 

5 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

Good customer service indeed!! (after an initial shock).

The housing is identical to the V1 and there is no lable saying V2. Just the phantom power menu tells the story.

Don’t let this info out on the Zaxcom Facebook page, you might have a posse of disgruntled sound mixers at your door with pitchforks and torches. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Zaxcom and Lemac for ensuring a unit got to me the other day for a job, despite the courier plane having a flat tyre. It arrived at the eleventh hour. I was stressed but boy was I relived when it arrived on set.

Lets just say being able to switch between a boom or 4098 plant was appreciated and got me out of a bind.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Have you guys been using Lemo3/XLR cable with a RF filter? Without a RF filter?

had any RF issues? I would be using my zmt3ph2 with a Sanken CS3E most of the time. But i also have a Rode NTG3 and an Oktava MK012 (wich is very susceptible to RF noise).

What cable have you been using? How can I get one withRF filter?

Audio Limited has got one for the A-10 models. Should it work with the ZMT3phantom2?

Okay for CS-3e without filter (as long as you have the updated version -- look online to find the serial number after which they are updated)

Need filter for CS-M1 (again, as long as you have the updated version -- look online to find the serial number after which they are updated)

Okay for Schoeps 641 without filter (as long as you have newer version -- for many years now -- with gold ground plane surrounding the pins in the XLR connector.)

Need filter for Schoeps CMIT.

Contact Gene Martin at the Audio Department for filtered cables.