Best windscreen for close voice recordings

Jasper VB

I have had a couple of situations where I had to record a voice-over on site. I used my DPA 4018B on a Cinela osix 2 (my indoor boom setup) on a small stand which was quite practial for the situation. In order to get better recordings next time, I am on a quest for the most transparent windscreen out there. I have already tried the Rycote baseball, with the high shelf on it sounds pretty good, but completely muffles out the P's and V's. Right now I am considering 3 options:

- Schoeps B 20 S

- Cinela Leo 20

- Bubblebee Spacer Bubble

Since everything I read on this forum about windscreens is mostly focussed on actual wind and movement noise, I would like to ask which one will work the best in a close micing situation. 

Thanks!

The Rycote Invision pop filter is the most transparent one I’ve ever heard. I use it all the time for VO with large diaphragm mics like the U87 or TLM170. 

They sell it it in a kit with the INV-7 shockmount so you can use this pop filter with your 4018 as well. 

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/shock-mounts-suspension/invision-studio/invision-inv-7-pop-filter-kit/

-Mike

9 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

The Rycote Invision pop filter is the most transparent one I’ve ever heard. I use it all the time for VO with large diaphragm mics like the U87 or TLM170. 

They sell it it in a kit with the INV-7 shockmount so you can use this pop filter with your 4018 as well. 

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/shock-mounts-suspension/invision-studio/invision-inv-7-pop-filter-kit/

-Mike

Looks like a pretty good solution to my case! Interested to try it out. Thanks a lot!

If you need/want to put the mic close (proximity perhaps), the Håkan pop-screens seem to be at the top of peoples' list right now.  I have one for my LDC and it works really well.  No breath pops and no (to my ears anyway) coloration.  Wash it out with dish detergent and put it back to work.

Not any particular plug for the retailer here.  No experience.  On a quick Google search, a pretty good description of the Håkan line:  https://www.kmraudio.com/brands/hakan

D.

I use a 641 with a B5-D on an Osix 2 for most of my interior work and I’m very pleased with the combination. I’ve used it many times for close mic situations and on-location vo and narration with great results. I am interested in trying the Leo at some point, but the the B5-D has kept me happy for many years. 

On 6/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, Philip Perkins said:

The best piece of advice I can give you is to not put the mic right in front of the speaker's mouth.   Angle it down at their mouth from above, with the mic in front of their forehead, or angle it in from the side--get it out of the "blast path".  Then you can use almost any windscreen.

Does this hold true for side address microphones as well? I have just started dabbling in podcast recording and am currently using some Marantz MPM-2000's. They come with a little pop filter but I think it could use something more substantial. Perhaps I could be positioning them better as well.

49 minutes ago, josephboyle said:

Does this hold true for side address microphones as well? I have just started dabbling in podcast recording and am currently using some Marantz MPM-2000's. They come with a little pop filter but I think it could use something more substantial. Perhaps I could be positioning them better as well.

Yes, IMO that’s a pretty standard VO micing technique, useful with all types of condenser microphones. I position my mics above and angled down toward the mouth all the time in the studio, using U87’s mostly. 

-Mike