Securing connections to Inspired Energy / Hi-Q / eSMART batteries.

Video/sound professional Curtis Judd just published a video about his sound bag, including his Inspired Energy battery setup. He notes (at 5:28) his only criticism of the IE battery system is that the battery isn’t able to lock into his cup adapter, in contrast to the NP-1 system. I was fully onboard with buying into the IE system until I heard this. (Though as I hesitate, I recognize the IE system is the inevitable successor to the aging NP-1 system, as consensus goes).

To Inspired Energy battery users – and users of its Remote Audio Hi-Q and Audioroot eSMART variants – is there a better way to ensure a reliable connection with the battery than gaffer tape?

canvas (1).png

1 hour ago, Trey LaCroix said:

The audioroot cup allows you to lock the battery in place.

54 minutes ago, gus harris said:

I'll second what Trey said above.

Thanks, I’ll use that!

Edit: Just to be certain, I assume that Audioroot cup works with the Inspired Energy-branded batteries as well, would that be correct?

Edited by Daniel Ignacio

I'm currently using the higher capacity NP-1s from Hawk-Woods. They don't weigh much more than the smart ones, but don't cost as much and have the same capacity. Might be worth looking into if you're already invested into NP-1s and don't feel the need for the smart capabilities.

7 hours ago, Ilari Sivil said:

I'm currently using the higher capacity NP-1s from Hawk-Woods. They don't weigh much more than the smart ones, but don't cost as much and have the same capacity.

I actually haven’t invested in either system yet. Right now I’m at square one, powering my F4 with USB battery packs. An actual power distribution setup for both the recorder and wireless is not too far behind, though.

Audioroot cup + Remote HiQ batteries... Been using this for a year never had one fall out of the cup. 

The one issue I am having is some rf buzz when the HiQ battery is close to the audioroot box. I have a Comtek BST in the bag powered by that battery, and I can hear short steady intermittent buzz hits in the comtek rx.  Took me all sorts of trial and error to realize that the cycle bar on the audioroot display timed exactly to the buzz hits, and that the only way to reduce it was to get the battery as far away as possible.  Tried every combo of batteries and power cables to the BST, and the results were consistent. Not major deal, but new clients have to be convinced that they are only hearing a comtek glitch, not the actual recorded sound.