Avitar Pics

You know, I am really not sure how the whole Avatar (personal identity) thing works. I did notice that Sara Glaser who just joined simply put in a URL that pointed to an image, the same image displayed here, as exists on her IMDB listing. Whether the URL is "smart" and just pulls the image posted there and puts it in as her Avatar, I just don't know.

Several members here do have personal ID images posted, hopefully they can shed some light on this. I imagine Scott Farr, who generally strives to be well informed on all these issues, could chime in here with some advice and edification.

-  Jeff Wexler

You know, I am really not sure how the whole Avatar (personal identity) thing works. I did notice that Sara Glaser who just joined simply put in a URL that pointed to an image, the same image displayed here, as exists on her IMDB listing. Whether the URL is "smart" and just pulls the image posted there and puts it in as her Avatar, I just don't know.

Several members here do have personal ID images posted, hopefully they can shed some light on this. I imagine Scott Farr, who generally strives to be well informed on all these issues, could chime in here with some advice and edification.

-  Jeff Wexler

If you have a picture (or pictures) posted on IMDB (or anywhere else on the web) here's what to do:

1. Go to your page

2. Got to the photo gallery (or image)

3. Right-click on the image you want to use & select properties

4. This opens up a new window with a URL for the photo

5. Highlight the URL and copy it

6. Paste the URL in the "I have my own pic" box in your "Edit profile" page

7. VOILA!!!

Hope this helps

Sara

Mine doesn't what?  If my avatar isn't coming up when I post I'm unaware of it since it comes up on my computer.

Sara

I am not sure who Scott F. was referring to. Sara, your Avatar was showing just fine before, now it seems to not necessarily show. I believe it may have to do with browser page refresh possibly. If Scott comes bacxk on here, maybe he can continue to sort it out.

-  JW

firefox, safari & ie for mac no go. could be my system

I honestly believe it has something to do with caching and reloading routines that are possibly flaky. I have just tested this forum, only on the Mac, with Safari, Firefox, Camino, Mozilla but not IE, and everythig is working fine.

I think I am done thinking about it.

-  JW

I think the problem is about using public servers as recipient of your files. For some reason any browser will display or make available files to the web or public only temporarily and until it validates the url as a "property" of a given person. This is why an image will suddenly disappear or shows as unavailable. I don't know exactly how it works but I've found that all files that I have in "My own" server will display (or download) with any browser other than just show a question mark instead...

mayacalendar.gif

I think the problem is about using public servers as recipient of your files. For some reason any browser will display or make available files to the web or public only temporarily and until it validates the url as a "property" of a given person. This is why an image will suddenly disappear or shows as unavailable.

I am still trying to sort out Sara's missing Avatar. A little research turned up this alert: Access denied: You don't have permission to access "http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/51/86/00/10p.jpg" on this server.

Reference #24.173e2dc7.1149566335.7b09fc

This seems to confirm what you are saying in that the URL Sara is using is for Internet Movie Database, IMDB, and it has not proven itself to be a reliable server for this personal purpose here.

-  JW

To Sara: I hope you don't mind, but tried the photobucket.com site as suggested by Michael Clark and posted your image there on my account. I then made it available to this forum using the URL from photobucket. I did this just to see if it all worked and it does. Feel free to play around with your personal profile settings. If you have any trouble doin this, let me know and I will remove the link and your Avatar and you can then do whatever you like.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler