Adding waterproof pot to system

johngooch

I have a simple bluetooth speaker with a 3.5 mm input but no volume control.   I would like to add a pot on the outside of speaker.  Needs to be water proof.   

Anybody have any suggestions for a simple volume control/potentiometer that is also water proof?  I do not have good head for this kind of tech...   

j

You want the whole pot on the outside of the speaker? Or just the knob? I'm going to assume the latter; it's easier.

In any event, Bournes makes the 3590 sealable pots that you can get at Arrow for ~$13. Various resistances between 200 ohm and a couple of hundred k. Since the pot is sealed, you can then put caulk around it to the case of the speaker, to seal the mounting hole. 

Or do a web search for 'waterproof potentiometer'. 

--

Or can you control the volume from the BT transmitting device?

6 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

You want the whole pot on the outside of the speaker? Or just the knob? I'm going to assume the latter; it's easier.

Yes the easier way....   just the knob.  

In any event, Bournes makes the 3590 sealable pots that you can get at Arrow for ~$13. Various resistances between 200 ohm and a couple of hundred k. Since the pot is sealed, you can then put caulk around it to the case of the speaker, to seal the mounting hole. 

Good to know about bournes and Arrow.... where would you start for resistance...? 

Or do a web search for 'waterproof potentiometer'. 

--

Or can you control the volume from the BT transmitting device?

I am needing to control the Aux input- not the BT....    

And thank you for your response-- suggestions!  

I'd start with ~20k audio taper. Input jack goes across the resistance; wiper feeds the amp. That's assuming an unbalanced, consumer-style input. But 10k would probably also work.

If this is a stereo setup, you might have a very hard time finding a dual-gang waterproof pot. 

Uh... is the minijack input waterproof? There are such things, but they're expensive. And they require a snap cover, to keep water from flowing in when there's no plug.

In this case, are you looking for truly waterproof? Or is it a question of weighing the expense of a bit more protection vs the cost of just keeping a spare speaker handy? 

Sorry to be cryptic.  I am adding a volume control to Demerbox-- which i am so glad i made the investment!  love it.    .   The aux input  is internal - which is brilliant.  i put a lectro Ria inside the box and i have a wireless waterproof speaker system which i am using for a god mic on a marine doc i am doing .  Lots of boat to boat stuff.  I would like to add a external volume control to the Demerbox ( aux input only)  so that listeners can control the volumes of the god mic- no cart, god mic not run thru panel of any kind... ... from our hero boat....   I totally 100% get why there is not volume control on the outside of the box--   i know we have all had the annoyance of somebody reaching for a volume control on a PB speaker that is controlled back at the cart...   So for 99% of my jobs,  i like that option being taken away--  I'll remove the control when the project is finished.  

Jay Rose--- mono is fine. Only the pot needs water proofing.    I'll start with 20k audio taper.  

thx again,

j

Sure -it would be a one off for me.   I don’t think it would benefit almost all of the demer customers and in fact it could create some confusion for some.  

I was hoping to tap in the DYI knowledge of this board and do it myself.   It is very simple to wire -I just needed some starting specs on the pot.  

I will let you know how it works out.  

j.   

23 hours ago, johngooch said:

I'll remove the control when the project is finished.  

That'll leave a hole. Why not install the pot and leave it there... but put a switch inside the box, that'll defeat the pot when you don't want it to be active?

5 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

That'll leave a hole. Why not install the pot and leave it there... but put a switch inside the box, that'll defeat the pot when you don't want it to be active?

5 hours ago, johngooch said:

Good idea-- and simple to do!  

Demer box - DIY port volume knob.png

demer box port plug.png

demerbox-bluetooth-speaker-06.jpg

jakMXrxJIb_demerbox_demerbox_camp-gear_2

Demer Box - port plug - inside shot.png

port_plugs-500x500-800x800.jpgs-l300.jpg

yKmRoan.jpg?fb&key=b1e305db91cf4aa5a86b7

demer box.png

bassreflex-stopfen.jpg&h=f7b9ab667c45868

plug.png

mcmaster carr.png

4c263e3d-31b6-4a86-b60c-49c22c281459_1.2

h2tap613.jpg

I am loving this post! Thanks for all who added interesting ideas and concepts.

As I mentioned to John Gooch, We are about to introduce a new DemerBox model that has volume control on the front keypad. Although it will be stepped (unlike a pot) it will stick out at all and will interface with our new circuit board. There will also be a real time, always on battery indicator on the keypad. I've included a picture.

In addition to the switch stuff, the new DemerBox circuit board will also have digital signal processing (DSP) that will allow us to flatten out the dips in the dynamic response at higher frequencies. I'm really excited about this.

DB 2018 Switch Plate.pdf

Wow-- that is very exciting James!   Looking forward to test driving that new design!   

In the mean time , still looking for the right waterproof pot....lots of sites out there but finding the right spec is the challenge...    and if i poke i a hole in the speaker case i do not like, i can always buy a new pelican--- all the electronics are in the lid.   Of course- hoping i can keep it all water tight.....   

I

j

On 6/25/2018 at 1:05 PM, johngooch said:

all good input thanks....  many different ways to approach the challenge...  

11 hours ago, JamesDemer said:

I am loving this post! Thanks for all who added interesting ideas and concepts.

As I mentioned to John Gooch, We are about to introduce a new DemerBox model that has volume control on the front keypad. Although it will be stepped (unlike a pot) it will  [ not ]    stick out at all and will interface with our new circuit board. There will also be a real time, always on battery indicator on the keypad. I've included a picture.

In addition to the switch stuff, the new DemerBox circuit board will also have digital signal processing (DSP) that will allow us to flatten out the dips in the dynamic response at higher frequencies. I'm really excited about this.

DEMER BOX® Volume control battery indicator keypad.png

DEMER BOX® Modification - DIY Aux-in Volume Potentiometer mount in port - for retrofit.png

DEMER BOX® Modification - DIY Aux-in Volume Potentiometer knob mounted in port - for retrofit 2.png