50% EU import duties on US recording equipment !!

On 6/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, Constantin said:

Yes he said that he wanted to get rid of tariffs right after he raised them a lot. Not sure if he ever actually wanted to lower them. After all he also said that he did it to protect the American workers. 

He raised the tariffs to offset the trade deficit.  A business move to bring people to the bargaining table to lower all tariffs.  Why does the USA have to be the one that shoulders the burden?  Fair is fair.

15 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Dang. I don't see the writer listed as a member of the forum (perhaps he just left the group?). Posts from JWS do show up in google searches, so a very dedicated activist/troll could just be looking for comments to react to. 

Maybe it was Trump himself, googling himself because he couldn't sleep? Imagine that, with that guy it does seem that impossible...

16 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Funny you suggest that. When I was a kid, I was told that the Citroen 2CV's I saw here in Northern California had been imported to the US disassembled and sold as kit cars in order to circumvent car safety and/or emissions standards. Don't know if that's true, but clever story. I do hope, however, that SD, Zax, and the rest don't need to take such measures. 

That has happened in other countries too, and for many other products than just cars.  
I knew someone who decades ago made a fortune during the days of "Fortress New Zealand" who sold appliances which had been purchased new and complete overseas, then he'd had dissembled overseas into parts, shipped them as "parts" to NZ, then reassembled them here in NZ! Which *still* turned out to be cheaper than manufacturing them here in NZ, or importing them directly from overseas as complete items (due to the high tariffs). 
Thankfully that madness no longer runs strong in New Zealand! But it worrying whenever you see it creep back elsewhere in the world. 

2 hours ago, Mirror said:

He raised the tariffs to offset the trade deficit.  A business move to bring people to the bargaining table to lower all tariffs.  Why does the USA have to be the one that shoulders the burden?  Fair is fair.

I don't disagree with that. I think it's the wrong strategy, but it may still work in the end. Although, currently it doesn't look good. Harley Davidson is one example. 

I have for years bemoaned Germany's large export industry. My father always said: That export gain is someone's loss. I never understood that until a few years ago. 

And I really honestly truly do not understand why there is a 10% tariff on US car imports. And it may impact car sales here. Ford has a huge plant right here in Cologne and there are lots of Fords on European streets. There aren't many GM's around, but that's because until recently they sold their cars under the German label of Opel (and Vauxhall in the UK). So in fact, despite the high tariffs, there are a lot of US cars in Europe and that's one more reason why the high tariffs only send a bad ("unfair") message. 

And many EU car makers have their largest factories in the US. In fact, Mercedes is the largest US based car EXport company. Import tariffs will only hit them to a degree. 

So the tariffs may or may not work. In my opinion Trump's real issue is with China (and rightfully so). But to reign in China he should have tried to get the EU to work with him. If he had gotten Europe to also impose higher tariffs on Chinese imports, that really would have made a huge difference to the Chinese economy and they would have changed their business practices pretty quickly. Everyone would have worked together to contain China. Today, everyone is more or less working together to contain the US. 

Please show your consideration toward this forum and what it represents for our sound community and keep politics off the main board as Jeff has requested! 

This is too valuable a resource to allow it to take what is a predictable downhill dive. 

There are plenty of other places on the internet where a person can declare they have all the answers and that anyone who disagrees is just ridiculously clueless.