Timecode in with Arri umc-4 and Red Epic

shug

Hello guys,

i was wondering if anyone has ever worked with this particular set up before. The Arri umc-4 is an external follow focus brain. Unfortunately it uses the sync input (where we normally plug in timecode) of the RED. The umc-4 has a regular timecode input (5 pin lemo), we can get timecode to read on the umc-4 but it doesn’t go through to the RED. Has anyone worked with this particular setup before?

Thanks! 

• 5 years later...

Too bad no one responded. I'm faced with the exact same problem on a 2 camera feature for 3 weeks. We've resigned to just jam the camera directly at beginning of the day, at lunch, and if they turn it off.  My guess (or hope) is that the UMC-4 is only using certain pins of the Lemo 4 Pin Sync Port for its control data, and the Red could possibly still take a timecode box if there was some sort of splitter to both the focus and timecode boxes sharing the Sync port.  🤷‍♂️

Yes, the best solution here would be a custom cable that gives some sort of TC in on the TC pin, and allows the follow focus control on the other pins.  I don't recall the correct pinout, but it should work.  I would check the RED website to see if they have a cable that works.  It's their design, and I do recall hearing that the cable existed from a camera person back in the day.  A micro 4-pin lemo would be a bitch to make a splitter cable with... you'd probably need to splice in the cable rather than taking two cables out of the connector.

I'm surprised that, if the UMC-4 can be jammed, it doesn't pass timecode ... my imagination is failing me to think of any reason it would need a TC signal other than passing it through.  It makes me think there's a setting somewhere that would make it possible, but I don't have any direct experience with it.