LT/LR vs SRc

lindabarzini

5 minutes ago, lindabarzini said:

I have 2 LT (A1) band transmitters and need to decide on receiver/s. The LR offers the versatility of easily mounting on a camera with AA batteries. The SRC is smaller, lighter, and has a top display. Pretty close to 50/50 decision. Any opinions?

Pretty close 50/50 decision??? 

Read up on both of them again and you‘ll come to a different conclusion. 

Hint: there’s a reason (probably) why you mentioned that you have two transmitters

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Pretty close 50/50 decision??? 

Read up on both of them again and you‘ll come to a different conclusion. 

Hint: there’s a reason (probably) why you mentioned that you have two transmitters

I have no idea what you mean. I have 2 transmitters because that is how many wireless mics I need and I got a great deal on them.

I spent a few hours at the shop yesterday going over the options. They are pretty solid location sound guys and didn't seem to have a clear distinction. Keep in mind, I am primarily a cinematographer, so the versatility of straight into camera on many smaller shoots is appealing. 

I know I could technically go from the SRC into camera, but it would require a power solution. I frequently have all d-taps filled with teradek bolt, bartech follow focus, and monitor. 

42 minutes ago, lindabarzini said:

I have no idea what you mean. 

Daniel helped you above

43 minutes ago, lindabarzini said:

They are pretty solid location sound guys and didn't seem to have a clear distinction

Ok, who are they? They don’t seem all that solid to me

I'd get the SRc.  And if you're worried about powering it, just get a d-tap splitter and then a d-tap to DC plug for it.  The SRc is a camera slot receiver so it isn't foreign to mount it to a camera as that was its original purpose to begin with.

3 hours ago, lindabarzini said:

I have no idea what you mean. I have 2 transmitters because that is how many wireless mics I need and I got a great deal on them.

I spent a few hours at the shop yesterday going over the options. They are pretty solid location sound guys and didn't seem to have a clear distinction. Keep in mind, I am primarily a cinematographer, so the versatility of straight into camera on many smaller shoots is appealing. 

I know I could technically go from the SRC into camera, but it would require a power solution. I frequently have all d-taps filled with teradek bolt, bartech follow focus, and monitor. 

Sorry, rant on

If you have all those extras going on the camera, why on earth would you want to add two receivers (or a dual channel receiver) as well? 

Wouldn't it be more efficient to hire a professional to handle sound? Chances are you will get much more usable sound that way rather than playing around with added technology you don't seem to have a clue about.

Isn't video transmission, follow focus, operating the camera and framing, composing and exposing correctly etc etc consuming your skills and time?

You do realize,  that this is a professional sound persons forum...

Edited by Jim Rillie
correction

Of course the first option is to hire a professional sound person. The problem is passion projects and indie narratives are usually zero budget. 

I asked a basic technical question. I would like to hear opinions based on professional experiences and my circumstances. What makes you think I want to hear your pissy ranting or the other guy speaking in damn riddles. 

1 hour ago, Jim Rillie said:

You do realize,  that this is a professional sound persons forum...

Quit trying to be a smartass, when you're just an ass.

Thanks Codyman, Ryanpeds, and Daniel for actually helpful information. 

@lindabarzini In terms of wireless performance or range I suspect the LR and SRc will be very similar for you. There are Lectrosonics experts around these parts who might chime in on the technicalities...

Anyway both are great products. But if you need two channels directly into the camera the LT's won't be very fun, unless you have a lot of free space and eyes in two places at once.  SRc is the way to go. With an L-type battery sled or DC power. You probably own compatible batteries already if you're a camera person.

If you can get away with 1 receiver channel on camera, different story. If you ask me the interface is actually nicer on a single LR, bigger screen, buttons, AA power option.

Good luck.

Adam

Sounds like it all comes down to power.  If you see yourself getting a more robust powering set up on your rig soon I would go with SRC.  It seems like you need a quick solution for on camera sound (quick does not mean low quality in this example).  I would recommend the Lr receiver.  No need to buy a bunch of new gear just to make an SRC work.  

Cheers.

The SRC would probably be better for this purpose. Even with the L-mount battery sled, it's probably going to be lighter than having two LRs (with 4 AAs) on your camera, and you only need to mount one thing on your rig. You camera people are always going on about not wanting too many things or too much weight on your shoulder.

As an owner of four LT/LRs which I use in the bag,  I would say go for the SRC.  It would get really messy mounting two LRs in addition to all the other gear you have mounted.  Even with the battery sled you'll appreciate the simplicity of just mounting one device.  As for range you're not likely to be to far away from your subjects since you're shooting them as well.  There shouldn't be much difference between the SRC and the stand alone receivers.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, lindabarzini said:

You can get this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621589-REG/Lectrosonics_SRBATTSLEDTOP_SRBATTSLEDTOP_SR_Battery.html

On 7/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, lindabarzini said:

What makes you think I want to hear your pissy ranting or the other guy speaking in damn riddles. 

Quit trying to be a smartass, when you're just an ass.

OK, now I regret trying to give helpful info before I finished reading the entire thread. 

• 2 months later...