AATON Cantar Mini VS. Sonosax SX-R4+

yizhye20

On 7/18/2018 at 3:24 AM, IronFilm said:

Looks like uncorrected log footage in large parts of it.

9 hours ago, AlexG said:

Definitely just this.  DP probably shot in log like they always do, and passed it off to an inexperienced editor who didn't know what a LUT was. 

Look closer.  Notice the variations and effects flashes within some scenes. This is use (missuse, IMO!) of some post effects.

14 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Look closer.  Notice the variations and effects flashes within some scenes. This is use (missuse, IMO!) of some post effects.

Yes, there is lots of that going on, but also there large chunks without any of that and what looks like to me just simply uncorrected log footage straight out of the camera. 

9 hours ago, ramallo said:

P.S. I don't understand how I could record more than ten sources in the Mini

Yes exactly! And those ten sources can’t even be fully digital or fully analog. It has to be a mixture (I know I already said that, but it REALLY annoys me). 

But at least the Mini already comes with the fader panel. Considering the price that’s pretty good. 

Still, just two more inputs is not enough for me to ditch my 788

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody, 

i’m a new user of jwsg, i’m happy to be here, learn so much things, tks.

I searched on full of forums and everyone says that we can not have more than 10 inputs on the mini cantar, 4 mic 2 line and 4aes, (for a 16 track mixer/recorder).
there is the new module HYDRA which can accept up to 4 double receivers, adding mic and line inputs (and / or aes), is it possible to record 12, 14 Tracks? 16 if you don’t need mix down ?

3 hours ago, Hamza said:

Hello everybody, 

i’m a new user of jwsg, i’m happy to be here, learn so much things, tks.

I searched on full of forums and everyone says that we can not have more than 10 inputs on the mini cantar, 4 mic 2 line and 4aes, (for a 16 track mixer/recorder).
there is the new module HYDRA which can accept up to 4 double receivers, adding mic and line inputs (and / or aes), is it possible to record 12, 14 Tracks? 16 if you don’t need mix down ?

You can still only have 10 inputs total when using the mini. If you need more than that you can move up to a full X3. The hydra allows you to interface the super slot info of the receivers for control by the mini or x3.

The answer to these questions is easy. Just get both!

I haven't used the CM but work on the X3 regularly. One thing I really like about the x3 is the limiters. Aside from the mic amps being super sweet, the limiters just sound amazing and are there for safety. They're pretty much like a Neve 2264 or a 33609 metal knob version. They work, they're transparent and great on every source. The Aaton recorders may seem really complex but they actually aren't. Like with anything in life--speakers, girlfriends, microphones, wife--you just have to get to know them. Once you learn them it is a breeze. I simply love the quickness and customization of almost every aspect of the recorder. Once you get to know the workflow everything is a breeze. 

The limiters (or lack there of--sometimes) on the SX-R4+ are sub par in comparison to the Aaton ones. I know the inputs have an incredible amount of dynamic range, but still, it's nice to have nice sounding limiters. Per your output question, I have my Zaxnet audio coming out of the TA3 connector and I have the analog output option card which I use for comteks and/or hard wiring to camera and such. I feel there's enough outputs to take care of business for most things. One annoying thing is the lack of a slate mic on the recorder itself. You have to use the RC8 joint to get access to the slate mic. Otherwise it is an amazing sounding machine! I love that it uses the smart batteries and that it has a hirose power output. Usually I rock two Zaxcom RX's (4 TX's) via digital inputs and line inputs which leave all mic amps open. But then you need more faders....

All in all, the SX-R4+ is excellent for portability. I don't need any power distro or anything. It's also super power efficient. Both recorders allow you to configure most of the pots (faders on the x3) to whatever input and to gang them if you're doing stereo/ambisonic/surround work. This is something the 600 series lack. If you complement the sonosax with the x3 you'll have all your bases covered!

I did a shootout between the Maxx, 633, and the SX-R4+ and went with the sonosax. Where are you located again? I'm sure there's a dealer that would let you audition both units!

16 hours ago, ivanovich said:

The limiters (or lack there of--sometimes) on the SX-R4+ are sub par in comparison to the Aaton ones. I know the inputs have an incredible amount of dynamic range, but still, it's nice to have nice sounding limiters.

Strange-  i had the original R4..  the limiters were always on-  no choice.  And i never heard them work, they just sounded good.  As i would expect with Sonosax.  

they're nice they're nice! i love my sxr4+! for me it's the best little portable recorder for all of the reasons stated above! i love this little machine! i rarely engage limiters anyways because it has an extended dynamic range as do the Zaxcom wireless systems....then I go in digital and its sweet! 

10 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Anyone that has a Sax recorder that they just want to throw away PM me.

No no, my post was about the Cantar (lathough I suspect your post applies as well), and the strange remark that the limiters sounded like butter left out for the night. I know it’s about a buttery smooth sound, but the analogy is still... rancid