Gain staging DPA Lav Into Sennheiser G3 Into MixPre 10T

Dave

Hi All,

Hope all is well.

I've been trying different ways to gain stage a Sennheiser G3 (with DPA 4061 lav) into a MixPre 10T.  I tried "line in" - sounded good but felt level hitting MP-10T was a little low - had to crank the 10T input gain a little bit high. I tried Mic level in and that seemed good as well, after bring the input level down a bit. Either way seemed to sound good but just wondering if you've discovered an optimum gain staging combination of lav into transmitter, receiver out into 10T, and 10T input level.

Thanks kindly and cheers,

Dave 

The SK100 bodypack transmitter has an input meter, so that should be self-explanatory. The EK100 portable receiver's AF setting  at maximum gain (+12) does not output a +4dB nominal signal, so it's anemic for SD's line level. I would use a lower AF setting (0 or -6) on the Rx feeding a mic level input.

2 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

The SK100 bodypack transmitter has an input meter, so that should be self-explanatory. The EK100 portable receiver's AF setting  at maximum gain (+12) does not output a +4dB nominal signal, so it's anemic for SD's line level. I would use a lower AF setting (0 or -6) on the Rx feeding a mic level input.

I have seen someone else say -20 on the ek100 reciever. I have used a range from -20 up to 0, but would too like to know the optimum setting.

12 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

A lot has to do with the Tx sensitivity and the desired headroom..  If the Tx levels are hot, the Rx AF setting is typically lower or visa/versa.  Set the Rx's AF adj. so the SD's input channel gain is around unity.

Oh really? I thought that if you calibrated with lets say a tone that is just hitting 0 on the TX, you could calibrate the RX af out and recorder gain (not fader) to hit just below that to get the optimal performance on the receiving end and then it was about getting the TX at the right level for the performer.

42 minutes ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Oh really? I thought that if you calibrated with lets say a tone that is just hitting 0 on the TX, you could calibrate the RX af out and recorder gain (not fader) to hit just below that to get the optimal performance on the receiving end and then it was about getting the TX at the right level for the performer.

That's usually done if you want to use it as a camera hop to be certain that the levels of the material at the camera will match your metering on your recorder. For lavs, you have to gainstage based on who is talking and where. Personally, I prefer using mic level inputs with G3s on Sound Devices recorders. If it seems too hot, you can take the level down a bit at the receiver, I consider the transmitter settings more significant. If the level needs a bit of a boost at the recorder, you'll hardly introduce any noise into the system by increasing the preamp gain a little.