Mercedes Metris OR Chevrolet Express 3/4?

Dalton Patterson

Hey all, 

I am going to invest into a production van in the near future and I am starting my research.

Any input from current owners of either platform would be greatly appreciated. 

I feel the Metris is more appealing visually. However, I appreciate the Chevy's ability to perform your own in-house maintenance. ( I change my own oil/brakes/anything not needing a lift). 

Chevy Express 3/4

Pro's-

Robust Chassis

Powerful V8

Self Maintenance 

More dealership locations

??

Con's-

Heavy

Not as stylish

Looks like rape van

Looks like commercial vehicle making it target for theft

Not as customizable 

Sound proofing/insulation/road noise?

??

Mercendes Metris

Pro's-

Mercedes ( Brand perception)

Sleek design

Advanced cabin technology

Low height for parking garages 

??

Con's-

Expensive maintenance 

Fewer service locations

Unable to self service

??

Specs

2018 Chevrolet Express Cargo
2500 EXTENDED RWD
2018 Mercedes-Benz Metris Cargo
126 STANDARD ROOF
Powertrain 7-Speed Automatic  
Drivetrain
RWD
RWD

Fuel Economy, City
--
21 MPG

Fuel Economy, Highway
--
24 MPG

Fuel Tank Volume 31 gal 18.5 gal  
Engine      
Fuel Type
Flex Fuel Vehicle
Gasoline

Power
342 hp @ 5,400 RPM
208 hp @ 5,500 RPM

Torque
373 lb-ft @ 4,400 RPM
258 lb-ft @ 1,250 RPM

Cylinders
8 cylinders
4 cylinders

Compression Ratio
9.4:1
10.3:1

Displacement
6,000 cc
2,000 cc

Bore x Stroke
4 in x 3.62 in
3.27 in x 3.62 in

Safety
ABS Brakes Standard Optional  
Driver Airbag Standard Optional  
Passenger Airbag Standard Optional  
Front Side Airbags Standard Optional  
Curtain Airbags Standard Optional  
NHTSA Crash Test Results
Comfort and Convenience
Air Conditioning Standard Optional  
Radio Standard Optional  
Power Windows Standard Optional  
Power Door Locks Standard Optional  
Interior
Maximum Seating 5 seats 2 seats  
Front Legroom 41.3 in 35.8 in  
Back Legroom -- --  
Payload and Towing
Cargo Volume 284.4 cu ft 186 cu ft  
Maximum Payload 3,022 lbs 2,502 lbs  
Maximum Towing Capacity 9,800 lbs 5,000 lbs  
Exterior
Length 244.1 in 202.4 in  
Width 79.2 in 88.3 in  
Height 84.3 in 75.2 in  
Wheelbase 155 in 126 in

Well, as a LONG TIME owner of a few of the Express Cargo vans, the latest being the Duramax Diesel, I by a long shot personally prefer the Chevy.

Just one of many reasons..  I still have more than half my brakes left at 115,000...

Mercedes seemed a bit cheesy to me build wise..  Crawl underneath..

Love my Metris -

it it is not for everybody.    I went from VW Eurovan to Metris.   I would not have purchased Metris unless I found a deal.  Just under 30k.  Demo passenger version.  Same price as my first Eurovan.   Long time ago......but i kept my Eurovan 13 years - I plan the same for Metris 

cons -  service - expensive and complicated and mandatory. .  Even wiper blades are OEM only. And I find some things a definitely dealer only ....rear wheel drive - a snow vehicle it is not.  Rear seats terribly heavy to move in and out.  

Pros-  I love to drive it.   Quiet.  Space ,  comparable to my Eurovan and still adjusts well when I switch between equipment and passenger modes.   I get my cart in upright - no problem.  With follow cart, ez up etc...   Brand perception- con.   Lots of comments about making too much money because I drive a Mercedes.  

if if you want one.  Car gurus is the site to search..  lots of them all over the US.  

For me the two most important aspects for choosing the Metris were height and reliability. 

The height is pefect for small garages and underground parking as it will fit in almost everywhere. I had a VW can before which is only 2 - 3 inches higher and immediately parking became so much easier with the Metris. 

I‘ve had it for four years now (bought it used) and it’s now 9 years old and there never ever was even a single issue with it. Never. 

Having said that, I don’t know the Chevy at all. 

Just one thing to consider (and that’s not a political statement): if you do decide on the Metris buy it very soon, before any car related tariffs can come onto effect. Unless it’s built in the US which is a distinct possibility 

A camera man I work with has the Metris and its beautiful and very comfortable but yes it is expensive to maintain. If you end up getting the Metris get a 4 wheel alignment after you buy it with all of your gear loaded in to it and put some sand bags in drivers seat area to simulate yourself. He burned though an expensive set of tires in under 10,000 miles due to uneven wear since replacing the tires last year and getting it aligned with all his equipment in it he has had zero issues 

The Metris is really so fussy that you have to  have alignments done with a load in the car, even the driver's seat?  That sounds like something a high-performance aircraft would require, not a freight hauler.  I know a few happy Metris-dudes around here--they tend to be people who have really brutal commutes so I can understand them wanting something nice to drive.

I've only driven the Chevy but I grew quite fond of it (disclaimer: only had it about a week to move around non sound gear stuff but it was cavernous and gulped up anything I threw in there).  I would look to get one that is a V8 and has the 6 speed transmission rather than the old school 4 speed as it just purred down the highway without barely touching the gas / was averaging 18 mpg by the end of my week with it.

As for the Metris, I'll turn to Doug Demuro's impressions about it:

1 hour ago, codyman said:

As for the Metris, I'll turn to Doug Demuro's impressions about it:

Haha, that’s quite funny actually. About 95% of what he talks about refers to the minivan version,though, but here we are interested in the cargo version. 

We often have this as a production vehicle and the drivers really don’t like it. But the cargo is different. 

Is this the first version of the Metris in the US? Because my one is from 2009 and it’s a much different car. 

Most definitely does not need wheel alignment 

I had a 2008 GMC Savannah 2500. It was a cave on wheels. I had custom sound proofing and industrial carpeting put in it. It totally made difference in road noise. I think I might of had the alignment performed twice, both when I had new tires put on it in 180,000 hassle free miles of ownership . I ran Michelin LTX tires on it, those coupled with a factory installed locking differential  got me through Michigan winters very well. I also had about 300lbs of sand ballast in plastic containers that I bought online and that helped with traction in the winter. The only time I really got stuck I just dumped some and under the tires  and away I went. That was in about 8 inches of snow.

20 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Is this the first version of the Metris in the US? Because my one is from 2009 and it’s a much different car.

Quite possible.  The USA version actually is built in Germany, taken apart in Germany, then shipped to South Carolina, reassembled, then delivered to dealerships, all in order to avoid the 25% "Chicken Tax".

Source: Why Is the 2017 Mercedes Metris Van Built In Germany and Reassembled in United States

The VITO is the euro version- that is probably what constantin has...   .   It has many features that the Metris does not have in the US.   Better seats, mirrors etc...   For some reason- the ones that are avail here.   I wanted a VW transporter-  avail all over the world... not here...:(   

j

Thank you all for the great response.

I really appreciate your time and input. 

13 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Mercedes seemed a bit cheesy to me build wise..  Crawl underneath..

Copy that. 

13 hours ago, johngooch said:

if you want one.  Car gurus is the site to search.

Thanks for the resource.

13 hours ago, johngooch said:

Brand perception- con.   Lots of comments about making too much money because I drive a Mercedes.  

Ah, I didn't think about that, but I agree. Kind of a double edged sword. 

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The fuel economy ~ could mean a big cost difference over the life time ownership. 

Copy that. 

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

immediately parking became so much easier with the Metris. 

5 hours ago, Constantin said:

buy it very soon, before any car related tariffs can come onto effect.

Copy that. 

3 hours ago, ProSound said:

4 wheel alignment after you buy it with all of your gear loaded in to it and put some sand bags in drivers seat area to simulate yourself.

Good idea. 

I am leaning towards the Metris for now, but I will test drive both.

I am big Chevy fan, I have had good experiences and hear only good things. I am honestly looking for reasons to choose the Chevy over the Benz. 

I keep thinking about going to the beach, the Metris seems more inconspicuous. 

I think because I require a dual purpose vehicle for work/recreation the Metris will suit my purposes. 

I'll post when I purchase. 

I don't own one, but a camera person here has one.  It always sits very low on the suspension, due to a lot of heavy gear.  Not sure of the load capacity.  Seems under powered.  This from other people that drive it for him sometimes.  And yes to the expensive upkeep.

On the Chevy, other than oil changes,  (which I do myself) all I ever did was scheduled Coolant flush service, brake flush, rear end service (myself), Trans service etc.  basically not a whole lot over a long time...  

My Michelin LTX tires are good for almost 60,000 on this van, never needed alignment,  no hassles there. As I said before I am always amazed when I keep seeing so much left on the brakes at over 100,000 miles.  

I have tortured this particular van for 9 years, still looks like new... inside and out, couple of small bumps and scratches. It still performs great as well. No unexpected repair issues.

This IS A REAL WORKING van.  The Mercedes/Dodge/ other badges is "kind of" a real working van, sure they work... but they are not "Heavy duty", at least through my eyes.

I have owned a few late model Mercedes vehicles, I was not impressed, at all. It was always something. The above posts regarding "oddities in service" seem spot on..  

I can put almost anything I can fit in that Chevy van and it never feels real different. It seems to drive almost the same loaded or unloaded... the suspension unloaded leaves you wishing it had a load inside. 

You may say, "I never need that much gear". Well,  I have packed that van with a huge playback pkg, (with a Large 18" Sub Woffer) and a Magliner cart for it, my full sized regular recording cart and my full size follow cart. Chairs, tons of cables, Porta-columns, boom poles and a lot of other items.. When you need it, the space is there.. 

It's a good size, just big enough, but small enough to fit properly in a garage, along side another vehicle.. 

My Diesel gets @ 23 hwy..  @18 street

That Chevy van (or GMC), with it's basic design, vehicle history,  service record and availability of parts,  makes it a good choice. Some puck locks for the doors and slider, a locked cage divider, an alarm. your done.

It's an honest of goodness work vehicle, Top to bottom.

I am always fearful they will discontinue it... and they may... I would buy another in a heart beat. 

Hopes this info helps someone..

van 7:23.jpeg

7 hours ago, codyman said:

8Quite possible.  The USA version actually is built in Germany, taken apart in Germany, then shipped to South Carolina, reassembled, then delivered to dealerships, all in order to avoid the 25% "Chicken Tax".

Source: Why Is the 2017 Mercedes Metris Van Built In Germany and Reassembled in United States

WOW. That is full on bonkers insane!! Just think of all those people's time squandered and wasted in assembling then disassembling the car :-/ 

I know decades ago we used to have the same craziness in New Zealand until we abolished it, but I didn't realize a modern large country like the USA still did this. 

5 hours ago, Mirror said:

They ought to know,  they live in vans.

Am half tempted to (not now, in a year from now when my building lease expires) buy a big Transit Van then just live and work in it for a year. Literally live in it. Could be fun! (did this for a few months many years ago when I was young and traveling around New Zealand with my then GF)