Filming in Dubai

Sprotnik

Hi!
I don´t know if this is the right place to post this thread...
but I don´t know if there´s a more appropiate place to talk about "asking for advice to filming in a foregine country".
I may have a recording in Dubai in the short term, probably in the next few weeks, but it could be in a month or so.
It will be a local fixer to help me, but I don´t have his contact yet and I have some things I would like think about and preparing my setup.
I would like to know if any of you have experience filming in this country or recording in the desert.
Does anyone know about legal wireless frecuencies there or any experience working with wireless microphones?
any experience in Dubai or any recomendation?

any advice will be greatfully welcome

Cheers!!

Your welcome, language is fickle. What means one thing in one language can call down some bad juju in others. Ha! Best to you're film and great luck!

FYI, he used the word "shooting in" everywhere "filming" was for the curious of you all out there.

12 hours ago, jpb2 said:

FYI, he used the word "shooting in" everywhere "filming" was for the curious of you all out there.

hahaha! You almost made me spit my cider out. 

Anywho... just be hyper aware it is a conservative Muslim country, so be very careful about what you do there. (like for instance I'd just give up my ciders completely for the month I'm there, rather than run the risk, better safe than sorry)

Also, SAND! Hate the stuff, gets everywhere. I'd probably buy a can of compressed air when I land there to help keep the gear clean (but don't travel with it! Is why I said buy it when you get there). 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Anywho... just be hyper aware it is a conservative Muslim country, so be very careful about what you do there. (like for instance I'd just give up my ciders completely for the month I'm there, rather than run the risk, better safe than sorry)

A friend has been working in Qatar for several months and I think restrictions will be comparable. He told me that you could have alcoholic beverages legally, in certain hotels, after showing your passport. They verify that you aren't a citizen of a muslim country that bans alcohol. With an European passport there should be no problem. He is British, any EU passport should be fine.

Now I am curious. I've heard horror stories of being forced to surrender your passport to your employer. I guess it only happens to the lowest ranking jobs, but better to be sure in advance and, in that case, I would make sure the Consulate/Embassy and an European company responsible of the job know about your whereabouts. Call me paranoid but my job is to think about the worst :)

it didn't happen to my friend but he's an architect. 

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

I seem to remember that chewing gum was a problem, too, but I‘m not sure

That is more Singapore I think?

30 minutes ago, borjam said:

A friend has been working in Qatar for several months and I think restrictions will be comparable. He told me that you could have alcoholic beverages legally, in certain hotels, after showing your passport. They verify that you aren't a citizen of a muslim country that bans alcohol. With an European passport there should be no problem. He is British, any EU passport should be fine.

Of course you technically can under various restrictions do it. 

But still.... I'd personally rather not risk it if I was working in Dubai for a few weeks. As you need to be super careful you never put even one foot wrong, and I know for myself I might not trust myself to be so super careful once I've got a few drinks into my system.....

So yeah, it is a judgement call everyone needs to make for themselves, I'm just sharing what my choice would be if I was working in Dubai for a few weeks would be. 

Thank you all for your comments.

well, good manners and good behavior are a MUST.

My bigger worries are about the legal frecuency range for wireless mics, how to face a recording in the desert with 43ºC or more...

I´ll go with a Zax Nomad, it will be ok working with such temperatures?

the can of compressed air is a good point, I think I´ll have to talk with the local fixer for that.

• 7 months later...

So I have been to Dubai on multiple occasions for various ad shoots and personal film projects and have always had good experiences: Great crew, easy customs, and not many legal issues. However, there are some things that need to be kept in mind while going there for a shoot:

Any individual that wishes to shoot in Dubai needs to appoint a production company licensed in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to obtain a shooting permit for them. Make sure you apply for the permits on time because DFTC takes up to 5 working days to grant them for non - scripted shoots, and 25 for scripted. Also if you plan to shoot at a private location make sure you confirm on the charges days before your actual shoot. Because these places tend to charge extra depending upon the demand, production requirements and clean-up or security.

If you keep in mind these factors, there is nothing as such that can cause trouble while shooting in Dubai.