Halter Technical introduces the Scene Monitor!

Halter Technical is PROUD to introduce the Scene Monitor!

Scene Monitor is a premium comfort headphone, designed to be worn comfortably for an entire work day. Available now at your favorite audio retailer today, you can purchase Scene Monitor for $15 each, or $125 for a 10-Pack.  Watch the launch video, and check out http://haltertechnical.com for more info!

Sounds like a great deal.

Are these headphones compatible with Comtek PR-216 - meaning are they stereo or do they send comtek signal in mono (not in phase one ear and out of phase other ear) which conventional stereo headphones do? That would eliminate the need for a mono-to-stereo adapter in order to get a true mono signal. 

Along with what Jim says, I was wondering if these will be available with a mono plug to use with Comtek receivers.  I, too, am not a fan of having the ears out of phase. 

My other hesitency is the rather dominate branding -- which would be great if I was known professionally as Harry Toneman.  (Or many years ago, "Happily Tonader") -- (Tonader=T-power).  

I am thinking it is not possible to have these new headphones with ⅛" tip-ring-sleeve (stereo) plug to solve the Comtek phase problem (which I will say is totally annoying the first time I discovered that). So, a stereo to mono adapter may still be required. Maybe Halter Technology will offer a version with a mono plug?

In development, we tested to make sure that Scene Monitor was compatible with the PR-216. It most definitely is.  No adapters are required to make the Scene Monitor work.

The Field Monitor has a mono plug, which was required to make it compatible with Comtek receivers. A mono-to-stereo adapter is included with the Field Monitor for two channel monitoring in one ear. 

3 hours ago, Doc Justice said:

In development, we tested to make sure that Scene Monitor was compatible with the PR-216. It most definitely is.  No adapters are required to make the Scene Monitor work.

The Field Monitor has a mono plug, which was required to make it compatible with Comtek receivers. A mono-to-stereo adapter is included with the Field Monitor for two channel monitoring in one ear. 

While the PR216 has only a mono output, Comtek found a novel way to make them compatible with both TRS and TS plugs (mono and stereo).  They did it by using a TRS jack and wiring the two sides out of phase. 

Some of us find having our left and right ears out of phase with each other to be a mite disconcerting.  This can result in our clients having a subconscious "somethings a bit off" feeling.  I can attest to the fact, because that's how it affects me.  Therefore, I wire all of my Comtek headsets with mono (TS) plugs. I'm not alone.

So, I know Doc Justice did have an answer, sort of, but I'm still quite sure that the HT Scene Monitor headphones will still exhibit the out of phase Comtek issue. This is not to slam these new headphones (I don't know technically any way the TRS plug could be wired to solve the Comtek problem and still operate in stereo into other devices that have stereo output jacks wired for stereo). I totally concur with John B's statements about the disconcerting mono "image" created by one side being out of phase with the other.

Don't forget that the "ring" on the TRS connector of the Comtek is also designed to receive phantom power!  It's a little-advertised feature of the PR-216.

I'll see what I can do about getting a set of Comteks to test out the signal phase on the Scene Monitor.  I'm sure you're all spot on in your assessments though.  I'd say, if the phase difference is enough to bother you on other headphones, you may want to use your adapters with the Scene Monitor as well.

• 4 weeks later...

The Comtek PR-216 does in fact have phase issues between of the speakers of all stereo headphones.  Luckily, our good friend Jacob Varley created a tutorial at his shop to show how the Halter Technical Scene Monitor makes it very easy to modify into a mono headphone without replacing any wires or connectors.

For the "too-long-didn't-watch" crowd:  Clip the wire that runs to the right speaker and tie it into the left speaker, and match the grounds together.  Now, your headphone will only receive audio from the tip of the connector, sending the source to both the left and right speakers.

Thanks Jacob!

• 3 months later...

The Scene Monitor is packaged with the leatherette "luxury" earpads already on the headphones, and with a pair of silicone pads for you as well. To swap them out, simply pull on the leatherette pads to remove them. The silicone pads wrap around the outside of the speaker, just keep working it around until you get it. It should be a fast changeout. Just note that the silicone pads are NOT meant to go over the leatherette pads, but to replace them.

Some people prefer the leatherette pads for the feel or the look of them, particularly executive types. For every day production use, I strongly recommend the silicone pads. They are more tear resistant and strong enough to withstand the rigors of a production day.

HT SM Scene Monitor Earpad Comp_sm.png

• 3 weeks later...