MKH40 outdoor - rycote baseball vs babyball

alidav

what is the performance of both the windshields for a mkh40 outdoor use, (low wind condition). I have used always indoor or in an ms configuration in a Rycote basket with a windjammer, now I want to use it alone for a series of 2 persons interview sitting on a terrace. 

the babyball and baseball, have a different price and are totally different, the baseball has a windjammer too, so it is intended to be used outdoor, my question what is the baseball performance outdoor, it gives some help more than the basic foam sold with the mic? 

so there is not differences in buying baseball or baby ball, the first costs 30 $ the second 100$, if working indoor even the basic antipop foam is ok.

1 hour ago, alidav said:

my question what is the baseball performance outdoor, it gives some help more than the basic foam sold with the mic? 

yes, the baseball with fur is better then the basic foam, the baby ball with fur is even better yet.

but what people try to tell you that it's still risky, because you might start with a baby ball and everything seems great, but in the middle of the interview stronger wind comes up and you have to stop the interview and switch to a fully enclosed wind shield (you usually don't make many friends in that situation).

so, most people prefer to use a full wind shield outdoors to start with and not worry anymore.

chris 

I've had success with a Baby Ball Gag with Oktava MK012s which are really sensitive to the wind. The BBG is very effective with the fur on, it also helps if you make sure that the capsule itself is positioned in the middle of the ball gag.

Taping off the switches should also help, as advised on this video:

On 8/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, Ilari Sivil said:

I've had success with a Baby Ball Gag with Oktava MK012s which are really sensitive to the wind. The BBG is very effective with the fur on, it also helps if you make sure that the capsule itself is positioned in the middle of the ball gag.

Taping off the switches should also help, as advised on this video:

taping of the holes does not affect the polar diagram? 

40 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

Taping the switches does not affect anything.  It has nothing to do with the pick up pattern. 

I think it’s more that if the wind is really blowing hard, it could possibly find its way into the mic body and to the capsule through the switch. 

57 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

Taping the switches does not affect anything.  It has nothing to do with the pick up pattern. 

sorry ive seen the video on smartphone, it seem at the beginning that he tape the holes next the capsule, before taping the switches

19 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Eh! If wind can get to the capsule through the switch apertures quite clearly, then so too will sound even more clearly, now whether that is fairly negligible is one thing, but it will have an effect.
And as we all know with these top end mics the difference is subtle and each one has a signature, I wouldn't mind betting that switch aperture has a definite effect on the subtle signature of the MKH 50.....

On 8/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, pindrop said:

Eh! If wind can get to the capsule through the switch apertures quite clearly, then so too will sound even more clearly, now whether that is fairly negligible is one thing, but it will have an effect.
And as we all know with these top end mics the difference is subtle and each one has a signature, I wouldn't mind betting that switch aperture has a definite effect on the subtle signature of the MKH 50.....

Effect similar to choice of wind protection, how well brushed the fur is, shape of suspension etc? Or maybe more, as they're part of the mic body? 

I use a short piece of bicycle inner tube to cover the switches on my MKH 50. It rolls back for the switches and it can hold a small piece of a toothpick for flicking them. Probably playing havoc with the sound signature but the tube stays in place more conveniently than tape and the toothpick can be handy for fixing the teeth after lunch and before wiring up ;)