Back to the Basics

wbrisett

As some of you may remember, I contemplated purchasing a CD replication company here in Austin this year. As I started to figure out how to grow the company, I realized that the more involved I got into the film/video projects, the more I ignored the music side of things that I really enjoyed. I decided that I needed to get back to the basics (for me at least) and get more involved in the music scene again. I made a few calls and let people know I was still around and introduced myself to a few people who I didn't know. Turns out that was a great decision. This week I'm recording an orchestra at our fine arts house, and in a couple of weeks, I have a full day of recording with nearly 100 classical guitarists who are attending and performing at a festival here in town. Next month, I'm suppose to do another 5 dates with the classical guitar society here in town. Film/video? I turned down a one indie project this past month and I'm being very selective. I've sort of lost the passion, and I simply want to enjoy things again. For me, it's all about going back to the basics. It also gives me time to focus on the business side of things (and work on some writing projects that I have ignored for all too long).

Wayne

As some of you may remember, I contemplated purchasing a CD replication company here in Austin this year. As I started to figure out how to grow the company, I realized that the more involved I got into the film/video projects, the more I ignored the music side of things that I really enjoyed. I decided that I needed to get back to the basics (for me at least) and get more involved in the music scene again. I made a few calls and let people know I was still around and introduced myself to a few people who I didn't know. Turns out that was a great decision. This week I'm recording an orchestra at our fine arts house, and in a couple of weeks, I have a full day of recording with nearly 100 classical guitarists who are attending and performing at a festival here in town. Next month, I'm suppose to do another 5 dates with the classical guitar society here in town. Film/video? I turned down a one indie project this past month and I'm being very selective. I've sort of lost the passion, and I simply want to enjoy things again. For me, it's all about going back to the basics. It also gives me time to focus on the business side of things (and work on some writing projects that I have ignored for all too long).

Wayne

Good for you. You're doing what nourishes your soul. Do what makes you happy and the financial rewards will follow. Best of luck in your new venture.

Eric

I was hired to record the McCallum High School Choir and Orchestra perform Schubert's Mass no. 2 in G Major. They also had the choir and orchestra performing some other things prior to the mass. Before you go, "oh, no, a HS orchestra", This is our arts high school, they basically get to select the students in the program and Schubert's Mass no. 2 is what they will be performing this summer at Carnegie Hall.

I used an 8 microphone mix for the second half of this recording (when solo vocalist would also be performing), and a 6 microphone mix for the first half. I used two Earthwork QTC-1 omnis in the back for the choir. Two Earthwork SR-77 cards in the front for the vocal soloists, Two Earthwork QTC-40 as the main orchestra mics behind the conductor, and two Earthwork SR-30 mics along the sides of the orchestra. All these went directly into the Zaxcom Deva 5.8.

I can't say enough good things about the staff at the Long Center. They were very helpful and a great group of people to work with and the sound at the Long Center is just incredible.

So, here is a tease... Vivaldi's Spring Movement No. 1 by the McCallum Orchestra.

http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/FileSharing18.html

You want Spring_mov_1.mp3 or Spring_mov_1.wav  (pick your poison).

Wayne

• 1 month later...

Wayne

I'll sell you my CD/DVD company here in Nashville...;-)

I've been doing this for the last 15 years and it has come a long ways.

I'm trying to figure out if it is sustainable for the next 10 years.

The duplication business is slowing down, i'm sure Austin is a great place for though.

Nashville is a great place because of all of the songwriters and record labels here.

I am trying to get into the TV/Video field right now.

I've been buying equipment over the last year and have worked on a few projects.

The money i make on the video shoots i use to buy gear so having my day job really helps.

I'm hoping i can get enough video work i can get somebody to run the CD business.

Only time will tell.

Good luck with your choice

Mike