New to Nagra!!

Haggy38

Hello everyone.

First post here, and I thought I would add to this thread instead of starting a new one, since its on topic and there seem to be others reaching out on this thread looking for help with their Nagras as well. Plus, I'm new to Nagra too :)

Yesterday, I received a non-functioning Nagra III from an eBay seller who very much seems legit and assures me the unit was working before he sent it. 

But when I put brand new batteries in it, no luck. Putting tape transport/pinch roller in position, then turning function knob to playback, etc. does nothing. There's no movement. Not even a hint of movement. I tried using the accelerator to give it a push, but again nothing.

There was something rattling inside so I opened it up and found a completely detached spring. (I've attached pics). I've compared my unit to pictures of other opened-up Nagra IIIs online, but I can't see where this spring came from.

I also sent the pics to the owner as well, but I think he's at a loss too.

Anyone know off hand where this spring should go?

C02A05AC-8219-4ABC-85CD-B787C8CD9174.jpeg

8D8BB79F-E801-4DCD-B873-C9C8731805AB.jpeg

CF261CE2-3D66-4817-89A7-7AEA95474B9A.jpeg

03E825DE-AAAF-4282-B409-05A4F4D64CBF.jpeg

1F80B231-0B19-43DD-8B1C-846AFA289178.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Long time since my las post, hope you all are doing fine in this weird times.

Just to share my story, my Nagra III started to develop a rumbling sound in the motor, I was shocked when I was reading all the process to replace the internal bearing, special tools and lots and lots of courage!! Then I just read the manual and I found an interesting section “Dirty Commutator “ so it was a simple process and without the brushes I can confirm it wasn’t the bearing..... I just proceed with the cleaning with deoxit and get rid off the brushes dust between commutator section with an exacto knife, in my case That was it!!! A beautiful silent 58 years old motor, lots of torque, full rewinding, etc. Just cleaning!! A humble advice, start with the easy one.

E8259ADE-0CAE-4F75-AE3E-D59763AA9398.jpeg

4A389BF5-5863-4E06-BEA6-80860FE8BD7F.jpeg

D76AFE8F-9A4C-4FA4-8572-CE7F1C0827A2.jpeg

386DEBCE-89F1-4DAA-BC17-79EB16652C4C.jpeg

D78F39D2-479E-4D37-8DFD-F6533859A162.jpeg

And there’s she is, beautiful and silent with new reels this time.

Gustavo

64489F87-1929-4EAD-8941-6B4DDD90667F.jpeg

My favorite was my 4S Harvey Board.  Did everything that the 4S did well (music) and satisfied those weirdos in post on film shoots that wanted center-track time code.  Win-win.  15ips Nagra Master has yet to be surpassed for analog capture.

D.

My Nagra III had an outboard sync box.  It had been plugged directly into the camera for years before I bought it from Camera Service Center in NYC for $300 in 1983.

I never had a 4.2 machine.  Dan Dugan was the only one who ever worked on my decks.  A wizzard.

Unfortunately you can't send a Nagra to Dan D for service even if you live in the SF area, as I do.  He shut his Nagra business down some years ago.  I'd check in with the service dept @ Trew Audio for suggestions on where to get your III serviced.  As you've discovered, there are very few competent Nagra techs with stocks of parts left, and of those only a small percentage will work on a III (and have the right parts for it).

I am even going out on a limb to say that a Nagra III might be best as home office eye candy.  Probably really tough, if not impossible to get those old stallions to run again.

I have some beautiful 1970s still cameras, 35mm, that serve just that purpose and they are all worth the price of admission for that task.

Watch this space.  I think I will have a few nice Nagras looking to find a new home in the near future.  Just a tease.

D.

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 7:17 AM, hallvard said:

Thanks alexbooy! I can then check the schematic for the IVS. That is great help. It also corresponds with what I thought (the most sensible interpretation of "back view").

The wiring inside goes to ground on the line in from one of the pins, so that's another hint :).

EDIT: It was the same pinout. Thanks again!

What type of power supply did you end up using?  Switched or linear?  I'm thinking on using an old laptop DC power supply. 

I saw inquiries about who's repairing Nagra analog gear these days.  There are two folks I'm aware of in the US who do excellent work. 

Glen Trew at Trew Audio in Nashville and Evan at Vark Audio in the DC are both performing service on Nagra 4.2 / IV-S/STC recorders. 

Vark may also work on the Nagra III, but you'd need to call to ask.

If you're in Europe, I may have referrals for technicians (other than Nagra themselves) for Nagra servicing. 

This information is accurate as of May 2021 for those who may be reading this thread in the future.

IF YOU NEED REPLAY IN SYNCH YOU SHALL NEED A SYNCHRONISER  AND 1VOLT 

OUTPUT ON THE POWER SUPPLY ... 60 HZ? .. AS IN THE ORIGINAL ATN2

12 TO 24 VOLT IS OK  DO NOT USE THE ATN 3 FOR THE 4.2 AS IT IS 27 VOLTS

OH BTW ... HAS ANYONE A 'SPARE' TACHO  UNIT FOR THE NAGRA 111.. THEY COULD SELL ME? PLEASE.

ITS THE 3RD ALLOY BOX  TO THE LEFT.. ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE M/C WHEN OPENED.

MINE IS MISSING

RUNS ABOUT 60 IPS AS A RESULT ... OOPS!!!!!!

DSC_1668.JPG

• 11 months later...

Good evening peeps of the wise analog machines....I just joined this forum and have also recently acquired a gorgeous Nagra III in excellent cosmetic condition.  The power supply was dead, so after many forums and internet sleuthing I was able to fashion one from an old laptop psu and the right connector and get it up and running!  Step 1 complete.  I am really hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction of replacement bands?  The ones on mine are very well stretched as the pinch roller was left engaged, and likely sat like this for over a decade.  The bands are practically falling off the wheels.  I see a lot of folks have acquired some grey silicone ones....any idea where I could nab a set?  I'm in Canada, but doesn't really matter where i order from.  In addition to this, does anyone have a video link to band replacement?  Or another thread link to suggested steps, what to avoid, what not to take apart etc?

I sincerely am thankful for the assistance!

J

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone - I’m also jumping into this thread as a first time Nagra owner :)

I have just purchased a Nagra III (a basic B model from 1963). I’m London, UK based. It looked like a good bet - has the leather case, looked tidy but not too clean in the pics, helpful seller etc.

I’ve given it a thorough and careful clean - heads look good, pinch roller seems to have lots of life in it, playback sounds good through the internal speaker, dust cover was moderately yellowed so I’m peroxiding that as I type.

Couple of possible issues - the lower tape speeds/EQs function as expected but the 15ips speed seem to be inconsistent… under no tape load it actually slows down from the 7.5ips setting.

I heard absolutely no mechanical noise from the internals with normal playback but rewind creates a loud whirring noise.

I’ve opened it up and have spotted a bit of what I assume is battery discharge gunk crystallised around the underside of the back left of the unit - easy to clean up but I don’t know what it may have done to anything it contacted. I can see it in the battery compartment but that’s probably been cleaned previously. The unit had a calibration seal (from 1981) that I removed to open it up.

The motor has a large Dymo tape code on it - not sure what this might signify? A previous service/repair perhaps?

The noise seems to be play somewhere around the top of the motor area causing vibration. It’s noisier with no tape causing loading but not noticeable at normal playback speed.

I’ve not been able to test recording (no suitable mic or banana plug cables - Amazon is delivering the latter so I can test line input and output which is how I plan to use it).

All thoughts and advice gratefully received! 

27753CE8-678D-4B9D-871F-802399A42F8B.jpeg

02B08AC2-3313-4399-8973-00DCE8D11FCA.jpeg

30328955-C88C-4A83-8907-74E25B74481C.jpeg

1A0F4200-AB93-438C-869B-7A182540DDD9.jpeg

BF260760-F226-4FC1-BEDD-731E6702B996.jpeg

3B6086B9-BE0B-494E-90F2-FDF114944456.jpeg

083B145E-B44E-4626-BDC5-598FCBD8CB27.jpeg

07C9D9B9-DFF3-4F4B-850B-89A6C288CC1C.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2022 at 4:23 PM, SimonSays said:

Couple of possible issues - the lower tape speeds/EQs function as expected but the 15ips speed seem to be inconsistent… under no tape load it actually slows down from the 7.5ips setting.

Hi SimonSays - I'm wondering if you ever discovered the issue with your slow 15ips?

I've had my Nagra III for a few years now, and have only used it on 7.5ips - to my horror the 15ips setting is indeed slower than 7.5ips, just as you pointed out with your recorder.

Did you have any updates about that please? 

* actually, I tried again and it does get up to speed but only if I press the FF button to ramp it up. In any case, if anyone has ideas what I should look at that would be helpful. 

** 2nd EDIT I'll leave my findings here for anyone else in the future. 15ips works perfectly if the speed dial is changed while in "stop" mode. False alarm - works 100% now

SimonSays (..if you're still there..) and Waywardtoy, as you're both in London and having difficulties, you could speak with Mike Harris - though I don't know if he works on Nagras as old as the III ( he's at https://www.exprorecorders.uk/index2.html ) Mike is at Shepperton - or for a complete service (and I reckon he can thoroughly recondition your Nagras) call Petronel Butuc, he's at https://www.audiophilesclinic.co.uk in Kent.

Mike may be a bit slow, but reasonable prices; Petronel is a wizard, but costs a bit more ..but can restore any Nagra to factory fresh condition.