Lectro SMV battery drain

Tilt Down

I am running two Lectro SMV's at 100mW and they are draining batteries. I'm getting an hour or less out of a single AA lithium battery. This is getting expensive and getting worse. The units are probably 5/6 years old and that paste on the threads has long gone. Any ideas as to what is happening? I worked with someone else's gear recently and they were having the same issue.

I'm also getting audio (not frequency) dropouts on the SRb receiver. Is it related?

Thoughts? Solutions?

16 hours ago, Mirror said:

I've gotten those little vials from Lectro before but there's just enough for one application.  Where can I buy more and what is it called in the real world?

Hi Mirror,

You are using too much. One vial will do 10 applications, so divide the contents accordingly. It only takes a speck to make a very thin layer. It is sufficient to clean the threads before application with a dry microfiber cloth, rubbing the male and female threads until no black residue shows up on a clean section of the microfiber towel. Then apply the 10% speck to the leading male thread. Each future battery insertion will spread the grease up and down the threads.

Below is the grease that we use. There is a lot of thermal grease called silver paste on the market that contains no silver but is just silver colored. Some is called silver paste and is not electrically conductive at all. Some has carbon in it and is moderately conductive. Some is a combination of carbon and silver, if you are lucky. As usual, if it is cheap, it is probably crap that is colored silver. The 100% good stuff is below, Chemtronics CW7100:

http://farnell.com//datasheets/1795243.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=CW7100

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Edited by LarryF
speling

Thanks, Larry and Dean.  It's almost unfathomable that the tiny dab of silver grease that I've received from Lectro  (about the size of a pinhead) can be divided into 10 parts.  I guess I've been over medicating my SM's. And I thought I was using a small portion.

Hi Mirror,

I use a toothpick to pick up a little paste from the container and use that to apply it to the screw thread. However, I will check with the factory and make sure we are still putting the same (correct) amount in the vial. It probably wouldn't break us to add a bit more.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher