Sony F5 - F55 - FS7 RF Spray problems.

workingsound

I just wondered if anyone else has range problems with radio mics and camera links when used with the above mentioned cameras and found a solution?  Whats strange is that some cameras seem to be clean and not emitting RF when others you do a scan are chucking out loads of RF and I barley get any range out of of any of my wireless gear.  The cameras that do spray RF seem to only do it when the BNC is connected to the video out of the F5, 55 or FS7 and connected to a video transmitter - with out the BNC connected and both the camera and the video sender switched on it all seems fine.  I've been told its the later serial numbered cameras that have a problem but don't know if there is any truth in this.

To try and get over the problems I've switched to wideband Wisycom radio mics and moved my Zaxcom camera link from block 21 to 26 as I heard this helps.  I've also had BNC's made up with extra shielding, purchased Terradecks own BNC, wrapped BNC's in Toroidal rings - all with no solution!

Any advice or solutions greatly appreciated.

also video operators love to use thin, flexible, poorly shielded BNC cable, where nice thick quad shielded cables with proper terminations will eliminate most of the spray.  the video transmitter itself can also be an issue - the worst I've seen is companies that like to buy the parts themselves and build home-brew enclosures for them, great idea since the parts are readily available to purchase, but often times not built by office PAs with an engineering background.

You have to schedule production for the seventh moon on the seventh month. 

1 minute ago, Tom Visser said:

video operators love to use thin, flexible, poorly shielded BNC cable

unfortunate but true. 

I wish I could be of more help. The only advice I have is trouble shoot if possible, try to narrow down the RF spray source. 

Had this on a fs7 a few years ago.  It didn't matter what block you were on everything was affected.  The entire range of Zaxcom wideband, multiple Lectro blocks, and wireless follow focus were all severely limited.  I lent my RFExplorer to the rental house to verify on their own.  They ended up replacing ALL of their BNC cables with better shielded ones.  This seemed to fix the spray problem.

Thanks guy and yes Brian its the BNC that is the problem they seem to work like and antennas for the RF,  Maybe I should try a few other makes.  Just seems like 50% of the cameras I come across have the problem and yes Sony know about it as its all over camera forum groups in the UK. 

On 8/7/2018 at 9:56 AM, workingsound said:

The cameras that do spray RF seem to only do it when the BNC is connected to the video out

In addition to poorly-shielded cable, I've come across people using poorly made or damaged cables. Esp at the BNC-cable junction...if the connection isn't solid (and shielded), then it's a leaky RFI faucet. In fact, I'll often carry a couple good BNC cables since at my lower-end of the world; ya, it's not my problem. But it's my problem.

Its not the video transmitter from what I gather Ilari.  Its when a BNC is Connected from the SDI of an F5 etc to a video transmitter.  Without that BNC connected all is good.  So it can happen with any video transmitter as I believe its the camera that causes the issue.  Today for example I was filming with a Sony F55 and Teradeck Bolt and all was working fine.  My Zaxcom camera hop/link was getting good range and so too were my 6 Wizycom radio mics.  If that was a problem camera I would be getting 5ft from the camera link and 20ft of stable reception from the Wisycoms if I was lucky.  The Sony F55 today was quite an early one which (I have heard from camera men) don't cause the RF spray like the later F55 etc.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Patrick Wilson said:

I have just purchased two Mini Circuits VBFZ 6260 S+ For exactly this reason. I have not had to use them yet. Has anyone else tried extra filters?  

It depends on the particular interference problem. But I guess that part of that RF spray will be in the same frequency you are using for your microphones, which means the filters won't help.

On the other hand I doubt high end wireless microphones will have trouble even with interfering signals close to the intended working frequency. One of the main differences between expensive and el-cheapo RF circuitry is filtering. And I imagine that the spray won't be so strong to cause intermodulation.

How did the RF Explorer measurements look?