Note by Note

mono

This was a beautiful piece! I loved this. I already knew it was an amazing unchanged for centuries old process but it was wonderful watching these pianos being built. Also, of course, I enjoy the celebration of the sound, the tone ----  everyone truly listening with a critical ear and the heart.

A couple of things:

I like the film and the companion series of New York Times articles that ran over the months that the particular piano in the film was built. Here's an archived version of one of those photo essays or maybe it's an overview of all of them...or maybe it's from another photoessay a few years laters anyway nice pictures:

http://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/29/magazine/steinway-pianos.html

But one thing that bugs me about the film, and perhaps it's my hazy memory forgetting a bit, is the section where they say something like, "the sound board is the soul of the piano." And then they show a couple guys going to a room and picking up an already finished board. Nothing (that I recall) on the sound board being made. Maybe Steinway worried about giving away secrets, maybe the process wasn't cinematic enough for the filmmakers, maybe they cut all that for time. But that always bugged me. I guess I need to watch the film again; I am I misremembering? However.

That YouTube post sure looks pirated. The film came out in 2007 or so, and is still under copyright. The DVD is still available, and it's on at least one streaming service. Why rip off the filmmakers?