Different antenna length on Sennheiser G2’s Receiver

Ruvis

Good day sound gurus,hope everyone have lots of work.

Just a curious question...I took in my G2 receiver the other day,to get the antenna replaced.When I got it back,I’ve noticed that it’s about 2cm shorter than the original.According to Sennheiser,it’ll not affect range or signal?

I’m only able to test it properly this weekend.

Attached a picture.

Anyone with a same experience?

Thank you in advance

Cheers

05F1B28A-DE6F-401F-B7EF-3C82C5E5AEE7.jpeg

The longer length antenna is for a lower frequency most likely the Sennheiser "A" block. The shorter antenna looks to be for the Sennheiser "C" block. While they might work to a degree with each other you'll get much better performance if both were for the same block as your TX & RX.

Hi Daniel

It’s because of that exact chart,I’ve questioned Sennheiser.

Can’t measure them at the moment,but it’s 518-553,if I remember correctly.

23 minutes ago, Eric Toline said:

The longer length antenna is for a lower frequency most likely the Sennheiser "A" block. The shorter antenna looks to be for the Sennheiser "C" block. While they might work to a degree with each other you'll get much better performance if both were for the same block as your TX & RX.

That’s exactly my point Eric,not sure how Sennheiser could say that’ll be fine.

Guess I’ll just have to put them to a test in the field and see how they behave.

28 minutes ago, ShubiSnax said:

They might seem to work fine, but if you ever get an rf hit with these units(and you will) the antenna length will be the first thing on your mind. 

True that!!Maybe I’m just OCD😜If the batteries die,I’m going to blame it on the antenna length at the moment.

The crap thing is,I’ll just do the repair myself,but Sennheiser don’t want to sell them to me separately.I’ll have to import them.The joys of being from South Africa🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, ShubiSnax said:

Replacement antennas run around $6 here in the states.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/530295-sennheiser-575297-antenna-486-558-mhz-for-g2-and-g3

If you can source one for cheap, might be worth replacing it yourself if you have a soldering iron and some torx bits.

Converted to $,they’ve charged me about $5 for the antenna and $14 for labor.Will take me like 10minutes to do it myself🙄

1 hour ago, jason porter said:

I don't think the slight difference in length will make any real world difference.  Remember that those lengths are cut to the center frequency of the range...not cut to one fixed frequency.

Beware, a couple of cm make a difference in UHF frequencies. 

That said, the effect is much more dramatic in a transmitter than in a receiver. But audiofp's advice is really good: in a marginal situation a silly mistake can tip the balance to the bad side ;)

32 minutes ago, borjam said:

Beware, a couple of cm make a difference in UHF frequencies. 

That said, the effect is much more dramatic in a transmitter than in a receiver. But audiofp's advice is really good: in a marginal situation a silly mistake can tip the balance to the bad side ;)

Also found an article on google,stating that it’s “acceptable” for Rx to be a bit shorter than on the Tx.For me it’s pretty logic,just keep the antennas the same length.Guess it’s a rookie “technician” that did the repair.

Depends what frequency block the OP has. The 575297 replacement antena pretty much covers the Sennheiser A1 and A blocks (470-516 and 512-556 MHz ). OTOH, if the OP has the B block (626-668 MHz) I would assume performance would be compromised, not unusable but to a certain extent.

Antena replacent is relativly qiuick and easy, four Torx screws and one solder joint.

2 hours ago, ruvis said:

Converted to $,they’ve charged me about $5 for the antenna and $14 for labor.Will take me like 10minutes to do it myself🙄

sounds reasonable to me...

14$ for answering a phone call/email, receiving shipment/accepting the drop-off, 10minutes of repair work, checking everything is allright, shipping things off/arranging pickup etc... don't see how they could do it much cheaper and still pay the electricity bills..

of course if they put in the wrong antenna that's another story 

chris

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

sounds reasonable to me...

14$ for answering a phone call/email, receiving shipment/accepting the drop-off, 10minutes of repair work, checking everything is allright, shipping things off/arranging pickup etc... don't see how they could do it much cheaper and still pay the electricity bills..

of course if they put in the wrong antenna that's another story 

chris

That’s me dropping it off,waiting 2 days,receiving an email,me going to collect it.Arrive at home,realizing the antenna is different than the original.

18 hours ago, ruvis said:

The crap thing is,I’ll just do the repair myself,but Sennheiser don’t want to sell them to me separately.I’ll have to import them.The joys of being from South Africa🤦‍♂️

🙄

Rather than a replacement, you might consider also this as a good excuse to do the sma mod.

Hm. That's interesting.

If it did in fact go to a Sennheiser authorized repair center, or through some other reliable thing, I personally wouldn't be concerned.

I could be wrong, and definitely keep an ear out as you keep using it, but I doubt the change will alter range or performance from what it was before under the same conditions.

Few reasons.

Top reason is while the right length of an antenna is extremely important, the path or geometry of the distance (and the distance/length) between where the RF enters and moves through the metal to the end of the antenna can be all sorts of crazy shapes and conceptual mind-benders.

These antennas look like they were custom designed and made for these mics judging by the contact and integrated molding. It would be weird for Sennheiser to approve a design that is sub-optimal and then make a bunch of them and ship to respective regions. In my experience Sennheiser cares quite a lot about their brand and quality of product, relative to all other manufacturers of wireless audio electronics including those <$50 USD on eBay. Even for an affordable model like G2. Not putting eggs in baskets over here. Mistakes happen. Revs happen. Costs sometimes need to go down so you pay the same. But that you sent this in and it returned different, eh, for all we know, at this point, they may have done you a favor. (technical or regulatory. I am aware but not familiar with recent spectrum auctions in South Africa so can only guess @ latter)

It is possible - this has lots of asterisks - but, it is possible to design and manufacture antennas which have almost identical "performance" but look completely different, or look on the outside look identical but on the inside have insanely different designs. This includes "straight" antennas. The antenna of OP could be a monopole/whip, could be a dipole, unlikely it's something else but there are probably hundreds of boilerplate designs in those two categories alone, and a bunch of them more or less do the same task as well, and look very similar. Then require fine tuning from the designer to match the (electrical mostly) characteristics of the enclosure and environment.  

I'd post some pics here of the wackiest antennas ever that do the same thing, but the new google image search has me spooked about copyright.

- Alex

On 8/29/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ty Ford said:

You say, "Sennheiser..in south Africa." Is this a dealer or does Sennheiser have an office there? 

What does the place say about the different length?

This is Sennheiser’s office in SA,but their known for their crappy customer service unfortunately.They gave me this reply...

”If you have a G2, the new antennae will be slightly shorter than before because we using the G3 antennae.
The G3 antennae will be slightly shorter but won’t compromise on any RF distance or quality.”

On 8/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, engaudio said:

I'd recommend doing the sma mod for your G3's antenna, they make a huge difference in performance.

I use G3's for camera scratch tracks and IFB's, now range isn't an issue.  

https://wavreport.com/2016/10/27/sennheiser-g2g3-sma-mod/  

That’s my next step yes,just trying to source the parts,thanks

• 7 months later...

I have a question about length, I have several Sennheiser g series, all in b range and the antenna length is  11 cm ( 4,33 inches), since the range is 626 - 661, considering the formula 300,000/ freq/4 is around 11 cm all seems to be coherent,

if considering this document https://www.lectrosonics.com/US/phocadownload/ammkit_td.pdf  in the same frequency range the length is quite shorter. 

lectros seems to be shorter then sennheisers.