Different antenna length on Sennheiser G2’s Receiver

Ruvis

• 1 year later...

image.png

Maybe someone here can help me to understand.

I have just got a G3 pair modded.The antenna might not be 100% the right length. But how to measure the right way? From which point of the connector do I start to measure? Seems to be around 8,45 cm according to some calculators.

I got range E-Band Pair. I guess the center freq would be 844mhz which would be somewhere between block 32-33 on the lectro guide ~7,35cm above the connector.

Orginal whip for the same block is slightly shorter than that even (guess it has to do with how it is connected). Around 7 cm above the body it seems.

46 minutes ago, Mattias Larsen said:

image.png

Maybe someone here can help me to understand.

I have just got a G3 pair modded.The antenna might not be 100% the right length. But how to measure the right way? From which point of the connector do I start to measure? Seems to be around 8,45 cm according to some calculators.

I got range E-Band Pair. I guess the center freq would be 844mhz which would be somewhere between block 32-33 on the lectro guide ~7,35cm above the connector.

Orginal whip for the same block is slightly shorter than that even (guess it has to do with how it is connected). Around 7 cm above the body it seems.

What mark says. Start measuring from "right above the connector". Does it matter if you off by a bit? Nah... You won't notice the difference.

57 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

What mark says. Start measuring from "right above the connector". Does it matter if you off by a bit? Nah... You won't notice the difference.

+1   

The calculated values will be off anyway since they assume an infinite flat ground plane. The only way to be dead on is to use a network analyzer. The Lectro values were found that way. The lengths will work on a G3 just as well. Also, when the antenna is near a big bag of water (talent) you can throw the precise lengths all out the window anyway.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Wonderful, thank you a lot! I guess closer to 7,35cm above the connector than 8,45cm?

Mattias, this is an important part of Larry's reply 😉

9 hours ago, LarryF said:

Also, when the antenna is near a big bag of water (talent) you can throw the precise lengths all out the window anyway.

In other words; It will matter sh*t if the RX or TX is close to you or an actor.

1 minute ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Sure, but cant hurt to try to optimise it :)

The point I (and Larry) are trying to make, is there is no optimal/optimisation in this, since there is a huge variable in the way (literally). changing from day to day (talent to talent, location to location). Maybe one place one 8 cm would have been better, maybe on place two and actor two 7.8 cm would have been better.. Don't worry about it.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:25 AM, Mattias Larsen said:

Sure, but cant hurt to try to optimise it :)

True. The Lectro antenna lengths are optimum for a transmitter in free space, away from any objects or persons. You will rarely, if ever, use a transmitter in this way. My advice is to use the Lectro antenna length guide and continue onward. Click on the PDF file in this link, print it out and use the template. Note there is a 6 inch line (15.24 cm) that you should measure to make sure your printer is 1:1 in reproduction. Most aren't so you will have to adjust a bit.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher