Etymotic or other brand for low-cost earplugs?

Jim Feeley

Been using Etymotic plugs for years when attending loud live music and such. Nothing custom, just off the rack. Basically something like this model:

er20sx_main_450_v2.jpg.png

But is there a better choice these days for general-use, decent-fidelity, kinda discreet ear plugs?

What are you all using?

I'm not talking about IEMs, but anyone going for custom-molded ear plugs?

And I'm basically talking about recreational use. 

Because as Mr. Tull concludes, "You're never too old to rock 'n' roll If you're too young to die."

Thanks!

I have these on my keychain for every day, bumming around, never know when you’re going to need it use. 

https://eargasmearplugs.com/products/eargasm-high-fidelity-earplugs

I like them just fine. Protective, fit well, and sound decent. I do have a pair of custom molded earplugs that I’ll take in the rare occasions I’m mixing live shows or something like that, but these are fine for every day use. 

-Mike

I've been using these: https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/

They work well for listening to gigs and I also use them in the rehearsal space for our band. Comfortable and discreet, I never leave home without them. It seems my hearing is only decaying at a natural rate, but I am slowly becoming a better listener. ;)

Thanks all. Ordered up some new Etymotics (along with a pair for my son who's playing in some louder bands & doing a bit of FOH...mostly jazz & classical right now, but still).

If those don't do it, I'll dig into some of the alternatives suggested. Some of the others have what appear to be better carrying cases/tubes...

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the frequency response, or whatever the hell you call it? Does it make music too bassy?  Can you still hear high freqs?

I’ve been using Vibes and they are great for band practice, but a little weak for a show.  Saw the 5, 6, 7, 8’s last week and the bass was a little uncomfortable.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, Mobilemike said:

I have these on my keychain for every day, bumming around, never know when you’re going to need it use. 

https://eargasmearplugs.com/products/eargasm-high-fidelity-earplugs

I like them just fine. Protective, fit well, and sound decent. I do have a pair of custom molded earplugs that I’ll take in the rare occasions I’m mixing live shows or something like that, but these are fine for every day use. 

-Mike

On 8/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, gpiegari said:
On 8/31/2018 at 12:40 AM, Ilari Sivil said:

I've been using these: https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/

They work well for listening to gigs and I also use them in the rehearsal space for our band. Comfortable and discreet, I never leave home without them. It seems my hearing is only decaying at a natural rate, but I am slowly becoming a better listener. ;)

On 8/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, Dalton Patterson said:

I use these as a first choice.   westone link

1f402ddf4e86d98dce437bc34107b9bf.jpg

@Izen Ears

As a musician, you deal with hazards to your health. Drugs, violence, high SPL and the infamous manager. 

Firemen deal with smoke inhalation as an inevitability that will eventually cause serious health issues. 

Similarly a musician will inevitably be hearing impaired. 

I suggest using significant hearing protection and learning how to interpret the information coming into your brain and not rely on white papers and tech specs. Freq's on paper are sometimes helpful. Basically, you, as a musician are constantly being marketed to and exploited. Earplugs are earplugs irrelevant of their marketed or advertised purpose. 

However…If you have some cash…These have peeked my interest as of late. 

de-hunter_1.jpg

WESTONE Website

But at a whopping $1,895.00, I will not be purchasing them anytime soon. This technology is still somewhat new, I met with an engineer who developed the spec. He sold me Gator road cases used during the R&D. 

In theory they allow you to hear quiet sounds and will reduce any sounds over a threshold. I don't think they offer significant high SPL protection, however, the concept is interesting. 

"Made specifically for when the head rigger slams the truss into the truck and high impact noise situations. Exceptionally accurate and lightning fast, DefendEar Digital active, digital circuitry delivers unsurpassed amplification for situational awareness so you can hear when people poo poo your work and appropriate noise attenuation when the drummer kicks the kick drum while your mic'ing the drum set. The DefendEar Hunter has increased noise suppression for large caliber D-bags on a job and the selectable severe conditions mode offers a higher level of promoter noise reduction." 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 5:30 PM, Izen Ears said:

The DefendEar Hunter has increased noise suppression for large caliber D-bags on a job

How I wish there was anything for this...  No way that claim can ever be true!

I know this thread is old, but I find the Etymotics way more flat than many others. When I used to play bass in a band, I liked the rubber foam ones you roll and shove in your ear because they cut the higher end disproportionately. I could really hear drums and my bass more. That was terrible if I was playing guitar, and that was when I started using the Etymotic ones. I had a set of the Eargasm ones and they weren’t bad. I eventually lost them, and may get more to try them again.