Sonosax M2D2

Trey LaCroix

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, Patrick Tresch said:

Greatings from Niger. Here a lot of wind and dust. But some of the most beautifull places I've seen.

CCM8, CCM41, Cinela Léo, Sonosax M2D2 on the Sony A7s3 camera

M2D2_Patrick_Tresch_Niger.JPG

How do you attach the Sonosax to your camera rig?

That's Patrick's fine design and 3D print, I think.  See up-thread:

It looks like the 3D printed accessory shown in their video of DSLR use, about 2:19, so perhaps that's what Sonosax provides in the mounting accessory files they mention on their M2D2 page. The pictures are of a different bracket, and I can't actually see a link there at the moment, so contact Sonosax if you don't find them.

https://sonosax.ch/product/sx-m2d2/

DSLR2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I’m not a professional so forgive me. I am looking into buying a video camera that I will be able to run the m2d2 into it and get its good sound. Will the m2d2 sound file be recorded onto the the camera’s SD card? Will the sound be linked to the video file?

If the camera has hdmi out or sdi out will I be able to live stream with the good sonosax sound?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Philip S89 said:

Greetings,

I’m not a professional so forgive me. I am looking into buying a video camera that I will be able to run the m2d2 into it and get its good sound. Will the m2d2 sound file be recorded onto the the camera’s SD card? Will the sound be linked to the video file?

If the camera has hdmi out or sdi out will I be able to live stream with the good sonosax sound?

Thank you.

The M2D2 will not record a file. It is a very high quality preamp and A/D converter that will pass either analog or AES digital audio to a recording device, like a production sound recorder or a camera. If the camera has AES inputs you can bypass the analog input stages of the camera and keep it in the digital realm. It should be untouched as it comes out of the SDI or HDMI signal. I'm not sure you will notice a real difference from the sonosax if it's going to be live-streamed. I imagine the subtle nuances of the preamp will get lost in the data compression required for streaming.

On 4/7/2022 at 11:58 PM, Trey LaCroix said:

The M2D2 will not record a file. It is a very high quality preamp and A/D converter that will pass either analog or AES digital audio to a recording device, like a production sound recorder or a camera. If the camera has AES inputs you can bypass the analog input stages of the camera and keep it in the digital realm. It should be untouched as it comes out of the SDI or HDMI signal. I'm not sure you will notice a real difference from the sonosax if it's going to be live-streamed. I imagine the subtle nuances of the preamp will get lost in the data compression required for streaming.

Thank you for you answer. So you are saying I can input into the m2d2 a high quality stereo pair, and route this signal to the m2d2 AES output? Which will then carry an AES digital signal into a camera that has an AES audio input?

I thought the AES out on the m2d2 is made only for outputting the AES input. I didn’t know you can plug in analog and output it digitally through the AES out. 
Also, I have no idea how an AES input on a camera looks like. The cameras I’ve been looking at have either mini xlr (taking line/mic analog signal) or a 3.5mm jack. So the mini xlr for example on the black magic (pocket) will take a line level from the analog output of the m2d2, or a 3.5mm from the usb of the m2d2 (is this correct?)
My purpose in connecting the m2d2 into a good video camera is twofold: 

-livestream (which will be compressed and shitty quality-i don’t really care)

-but also, recording it at the same time (before it feeds into the live stream) without loss of the data. This file essentially will have an excellent video, AND an uncompromising sound from high-end mics that passed through the m2d2.

This is to record and live stream classical music recitals.

Edited by Philip S89
Spelling

Ok I realised that I can’t afford a video camera that has an xlr aes input. So here is an idea for a setup (please tell me if it’s doable):

A stereo pair of 48v mics going into an m2d2 and out through the USB into a computer. Independently from that, a video feed will go into the same computer.

Both feeds will go into OBS, where I will sync them and livestream.
At the SAME time (for backup!) the video feed will be recorded onto the camera’s sd card (or something other than the computer), and the stereo signal from the m2d2 will not just go out of the usb into the computer, but also it will go out through the AES out and into an AES input of a Lectrosonics SPDR recorder.

can this be done??

Why don't you record the USB signal on your computer and use the M2D2 as an audio card?

On the M2D2 you could use a delay to synch with the video signal for streaming if you use a Blackmagic Atem switcher.

In relation of compression you have to test wich is the best route to go for streaming (youtube, facebook, ... )

The ATEM switcher will give me option for a few cameras.
So I will have m2d2 analog out into the ATEM via the 3.5mm jack, and at the same time, out of the m2d2, I will have an AES out into a dedicated recorder or a USB out into an ipad/iphone/computer for backup audio and high level audio recording.

And the ATEM will be connected to the computer live streaming. 
Does this sound right?

And If I need one camera the ATEM is pretty much redundant i think

the M2D2 is a lovely device, but in your case scenario it seems to me that you should first think about your setup in general before you select specific components.

like what is the room situation? how many people? how many cameras? voice or music? how high is your budget? etc.

usually mic placement is the most important aspect anyway.

Thank you. I have experimented with different setups extensively, and I’ve been getting nice results with VERY basic equipment that I have (CM4 and a zoom f6):

im upgrading my equipment, to get better sound quality, and start live streaming with 1 camera only.

I am trying to order the m2d2 from noyzboyz in Amsterdam, because it’s the best price I have found. I really wanted to get the Nagra 7, but I decided I will invest in good mics instead.

10 hours ago, Philip S89 said:

I really wanted to get the Nagra 7, but I decided I will invest in good mics instead.

yes, that sounds like a good plan. can't go wrong with some schoeps or sennheiser MKH mics, but if you can it's probably worth renting a few different options before you buy to see what you like best in your scenario.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of building a small rig for field recording. I'm considering the m2d2 or the mixpre6. I think the sonosax will have a better sound but the mixpre is also a dedicated recorder. I don't need all it's features for field recording except maybe more pre's for flexibility.

Is there anyone here using the m2d2 as a pocket recorder recording to his smartphone ? How is it ? Thanks!

On 5/23/2023 at 4:38 PM, Jorel Ayer said:

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of building a small rig for field recording. I'm considering the m2d2 or the mixpre6. I think the sonosax will have a better sound but the mixpre is also a dedicated recorder. I don't need all it's features for field recording except maybe more pre's for flexibility.

Is there anyone here using the m2d2 as a pocket recorder recording to his smartphone ? How is it ? Thanks!

There is another extensive thread on Gearspace you might enjoy: https://gearspace.com/board/studio-stage-mobile-amp-location-equipment/1294096-sonosax-sx-m2d2-how-practical.html. In short, after some very high praise for its preamp quaity from a few big label pro classical recordists, it seems using with the iPhone is easily done - Sonosax actually sells the proper cables and some use the Apogee app MetRecorder. But I think that if it was me heading off to who  knows where with the smallest kit possible, I'd also pack a tiny MixPre3ii in my waist bag just cuz...

• 8 months later...

hey guys, I am not a professional recordist yet taking it as a hobby. I brought m2d2 as my SWISS KNIFE to record, transfer, mix and anything related to daily sound, and hoping for another couple of usb tracks just like SD mixpre6 instead of only 2 now, cause I found it useful if I could use it as a soundcard to loopback another stereo track, so I could have that the VSTs, like F6 Nx etc, work for monitoring. Any thoughts about this?