Sonosax M2D2

Trey LaCroix

9 hours ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

And most likely mono.

Maybe, maybe not? Who knows. 
Their current Tentacles are capable of outputting stereo though. 

10 hours ago, daniel said:

+1, yep, yes and definitely. I'm pretty sure so many of us would have bought 1 in a heart beat if had a built in recorder. I'm not going to say they missed an open goal because maybe there was something like a legal reason not do this - anyway here's to something like an R2D2 if ever happens. 

I'd say there was a legal (read: Zaxcom) reason why they couldn't:

On 1/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, JAX said:

Hello,

The US version is the same as the European version, with the 136dB dynamic range.

Enjoy!

10 hours ago, Jeremtools said:

Yes his is The nex step ! A little spdr to replace the iPhone !

17 hours ago, henrimic said:

You are absolutely right. With AES input and TC included, it’s the perfect combo for a really light, no compromise recoding system. 

If going that route, it may be worth reading the SPDR thread first. There are some observations that may or may not be of interest depending on intended use: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Only using one this year and I am very happy with it. I use it to override the crappy preamps of the 688 (in AES) and it feels and sounds like it is a new machine! 🤪

I use it for boom on 1&2 input set to AES3 so I can also switch to the Audio ltd A10 aes outputs for flying booms. No need to change anything in the 688. The only difference is that the M2D2 aes outputs the 2 channels are on 1 XLR (recognised for 1&2 on the 688 when plugged in input 1) and the A10 need the 2 XLR plugged in.

Beautiful piece of gear!

5 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

I use it to override the crappy preamps of the 688

I am a huge fan of the Sonosax preamps. They are by far my favorite sounding. But calling the 688 preamps “crappy” is pretty hyperbolic. Sure, they aren’t as nice and the 7 or 8 series, but very far from crappy.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, Trey LaCroix said:

But calling the 688 preamps “crappy” is pretty hyperbolic.

Sorry I am french from Marseille, we are hyperbolic at birth I am told! 😅

Honestly you are right but I am so frustrated with the preamps of this otherwise great machine, they were such a drop down from the 7 series, I tend to overreact when mentioning them. Also, in comparison to the Sonosax, hm well... what would you say?

• 2 months later...