Sound Devices MP-1 Mic Transformer Replacement

gsmyth

I started noticing a little too much noise out of my MP-1, and then, when I got it home and started inspecting it, noticed it was picking up me knocking on the case.

Opened it up and started tapping on components, and the transformer is the culprit. 

Has anyone tried swapping out a new one? Worth it? Any good sources for the new part?

IMG_20180908_222056.jpg

Add up the time to source replacement parts, 1Hr+

Add time for analyzation and troubleshooting, 1.5Hr+

Add time for actual bench time with a hot iron, .5Hr+

Add time for assembly/disassembly and a thorough cleaning, 1Hr+

Thats 4+ Hrs @$50 is $200. Assuming your capable and experienced as the SD tech's. 

If you have the time and patience but not the cash, then go for it. However, resale wise I would run away from a device I found out was DIY'ed. I recommend sending it back to SD for a full tear down. Right now your resale value is nil. If you refurbish, it will sell for more $. 

Kudos to @gsmyth for opening up the hood tho 🆒💯🆗 and adding a pic!📸

As well, you would be hard pressed to find a better transformer than the Lundahl.  My guess is that it is broken/cold solder joint/loose.  I might flip the board over and touch a hot iron to all the transformer pads and re-flow the solder.  If it's a cold joint, that would fix it.  Easy-peesy and probably worth the time since you have it open.  Oh, and it's rare (but not impossible) for a transformer to go "bad".  

D.

7 hours ago, tourtelot said:

As well, you would be hard pressed to find a better transformer than the Lundahl.  My guess is that it is broken/cold solder joint/loose.  I might flip the board over and touch a hot iron to all the transformer pads and re-flow the solder.  If it's a cold joint, that would fix it.  Easy-peesy and probably worth the time since you have it open.  Oh, and it's rare (but not impossible) for a transformer to go "bad".  

D.

That's what I thought! I'll definitely try giving it a once over with the iron. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Add up the time to source replacement parts, 1Hr+

Add time for analyzation and troubleshooting, 1.5Hr+

Add time for actual bench time with a hot iron, .5Hr+

Add time for assembly/disassembly and a thorough cleaning, 1Hr+

Thats 4+ Hrs @$50 is $200. Assuming your capable and experienced as the SD tech's. 

If you have the time and patience but not the cash, then go for it. However, resale wise I would run away from a device I found out was DIY'ed. I recommend sending it back to SD for a full tear down. Right now your resale value is nil. If you refurbish, it will sell for more $. 

Kudos to @gsmyth for opening up the hood tho 🆒💯🆗 and adding a pic!📸

I'm usually time and patience rich and cash poor, but you're totally right about resale and just my general "will this suddenly break on a gig" peace of mind. I sent SD an email, so I'll see what they say...

On 9/9/2018 at 11:20 PM, mikewest said:

Open the bottom of the case to expose the solder side of the board

Whilst listening on headphones tap solder joints with plastic handle or similar

Just try it!!

mike

Tried this, it's really just the side of the transformer that makes any noise when I tap on it, but also, I think I might just be over sensitive. I did an A/B comparison to my audio interface pre and the noise floor was similar to my mp-1. I think I've just been cranking it way too high on quieter sets and back in the studio. 

22 hours ago, jon_tatooles said:

Based on that serial number that MP-1 will have its 18th birthday on September 27. It's still a teenager.

Now that I did a more (or less) scientific test of it, I'm fine knowing that self-noise isn't an issue, but... I'm still a little concerned that I can hear myself tapping on the side of the transformer when the gain is up in the 7-8 range. Maybe the solution is "don't tap on the transformer?" haha