Schoeps CMC gold plating on XLR

Trey LaCroix

I just got a great deal on a used schoeps 641 and am now the proud owner of a pair of these beautiful mics. However, I noticed that the used one does not have a gold plated xlr connector. It instead has a black one. I seem to remember that the gold plating was a later design and helped protect against RFI. Am I correct here? And would it be worthwhile to send it back to schoeps to get it updated? I know some of the older schoeps were susceptible to RF. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

85ED967D-477B-4272-9391-C19EF82475D3.jpeg

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the gold plate in the bottom of the XLR connector in the mic on the left is merely a press-in addition.  Give Redding Audio a call and see if they might just be able to send you one to install yourself.

D.

And yes, it serves, at least in theory, the help keep RFI at bay.

D.

Why not try it out and see if the update is necessary? I have several older models with p48 updates from our friend Pete Verrando that have been very reliable despite not having any RF shielding updates from the factory. 

I have only experienced one instance of RF interference. That was in a closet with three people playing with their phones while trying to do a VO. We put our phones on air plain mode and voilà, problem solved. 

• 7 months later...

The factory can update older CMC 6-- amplifiers, but it's not cheap; it involves an entire circuit board replacement, not merely installation of that shield plate in the connector well. In effect it's a trade-in.

There's no sonic difference, nor any change in performance or powering or anything else. And clearly, not everyone absolutely needs the more recent version. Still, I'm glad to have it because I record mostly live classical concerts, and I can't exactly tap the conductor on the shoulder and ask for a retake.

--best regards