Deity Connect.

16 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Both and yes "real" line level +4 dBu.

besides the lavs, you get more bang for the buck; Diversity, 2 channel receiver, REAL remote control of the TX, SMA on all devices, up to 100mw TX power etc etc.

Thanks Vincent.

Are you getting some real world experience with this system? Really keen to know how 6+ channels of this system work out in a typical production scenario.

Also, have these been tested with the obvious capsule choices (Sanken, DPA, Countryman etc)?

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Thanks Vincent.

Are you getting some real world experience with this system? Really keen to know how 6+ channels of this system work out in a typical production scenario.

Also, have these been tested with the obvious capsule choices (Sanken, DPA, Countryman etc)?

Just with the Prototype at the IBC last September. It was working well and all, in a hostile environment (see posts from a couple of pages before) as well as in typical locations with walls and outside, the range you can expect from a lectro at 50mw or something. We just had the Deity lav mics and some Sennheiser mics on hand, but they are not special or something so all should work with the usual brands as well. But indeed we didn't test that. The spec sheet of one of the main components states that to be on the safe side of things one should/can use 3/4 systems/receivers together. meaning 6/8 audio transmitters. Technically you can go beyond that, but real world should tell us if that is really possible. 

3 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

Just with the Prototype at the IBC last September. It was working well and all, in a hostile environment (see posts from a couple of pages before) as well as in typical locations with walls and outside, the range you can expect from a lectro at 50mw or something. We just had the Deity lav mics and some Sennheiser mics on hand, but they are not special or something so all should work with the usual brands as well. But indeed we didn't test that. The spec sheet of one of the main components states that to be on the safe side of things one should/can use 3/4 systems/receivers together. meaning 6/8 audio transmitters. Technically you can go beyond that, but real world should tell us if that is really possible. 

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Placeslost said:

Why are you making these yellow? No one ever needs a mic pack to be more visible. 

Yellow is their color for everything. I agree it’s not the most logical choice for something that needs to be hidden. I guess gaff on the sides will help but it’s lame you have to do that.

I’m curios to see these out in the real world. I’m pretty skeptical but would love if they work as well as they say they will. Zaxnet has made me pretty weary of anything 2.4ghz and range, but maybe they figured it out.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder if there could be an app for changing the names (and other settings) of the TX? Would speed it up an awful lot vs using the built in keyboard!

That would require a separate Bluetooth transceiver, so unless these have one I don't think it will happen (WiFi wouldn't work as they said the units aren't using the WiFi protocols, they're just in the same frequency space). 

Personally, I wouldn't be switching the names up much, as I'm maybe mostly interested in this thing as a camera hop. Sure, why not as a supplemental pair of talent channels as well, but mostly as hop.

I'll be interested in seeing some real world range tests and some nice sound tests, like the same signal driven through a mixer into two channels, the other wired and the other through this system, into a recorder and then compared, with dialogue, key chain test etc.

Also it'd be cool to see one opened up to see which type of batteries they use and how easy it would be to eventually self-service a new one into them.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

It was cool until the 19ms latency part. I get why it's there but it's a bit of a drag.

A touch over half a frame. Hmmmm. Not sure if this is a deal breaker. The Zaxcom ZMT transmitters are what, like 8ms? By the time everything happens through the digital mixer that would put things nearly a whole frame behind. Hmmmm. The ERXs are 8ms also I believe, but the range is not awesome.

Hmmm.

Some very interesting ideas for the price. 10/25/50/100mV is a great choice to have.

The way they use the latency - for signal and not for encryption - is a bit suspect, but no biggie I guess.

Is the microphone mount compatible with the Sony's system, or only G3/Rodelink?

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

s the microphone mount compatible with the Sony's system, or only G3/Rodelink?

You mean the wiring of the 3.5 mm? If so, no, Sony not so wisely has chosen to flip the 2 points of the TR of TRS, making them "unique" in the audio world. In other words, they isolated themselves.
2016-08-26-10-12-40.jpg
https://wavreport.com/2016/04/18/tutorial-sony-uwp-lav-adapter-cable/

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, daniel said:

Suppliers advertising pre-orders on these Deity Connect systems. Do the manufacturers / testers have a clearer picture on how many channels will work together?

The advice is 2 RX. So 4 channels of wireless total. the thing is, these things are bidirectional on separate channels. Meaning, 1 set (1rx/2tx) are occupying already 4 channels of the spectrum. So 2 sets is 8. Via USB-C they will communicate with each other (the RX), to coordinate automatically and seamlessly with each other.  

Pretty impressive package. I wouldn't discard it just for the 19 ms on paper but would really like to get my hands on them to see how they fare in the field. Anyhow these should probably take a big chunk of the Rodelink, G4 etc. 's market share. I might get a couple for additional channels if the delay doesn't present big problems.

2 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

The advice is 2 RX. So 4 channels of wireless total. the thing is, these things are bidirectional on separate channels. Meaning, 1 set (1rx/2tx) are occupying already 4 channels of the spectrum. So 2 sets is 8. 

Max of four channels? That isn't much if someone wanted to go 100% all in only using Deity Connect wireless

2 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Via USB-C they will communicate with each other (the RX), to coordinate automatically and seamlessly with each other.  

So if you have 2x TX in your bag you should hook them up with a USB C cable all the time?

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Max of four channels?

Maybe it wasn't clear what I wrote; 4 channels of audio, so 2 receivers. Is it much/not much? depends indeed. Personally I am running that as a max wireless setup for a bag, most of the time just 2. Otherwise I would go cart. The target audience of these are those who have like 2 to 4 max wireless in use now. Not the sitcoms with like 6/12 channels continuously.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So if you have 2x TX in your bag you should hook them up with a USB C cable all the time?

I think you mean 2 RX in the bag? It is advised yes. It probably will work without, but it does negotiation between the 2 RX.

It is the limitation of the bandwidth provided in the 2.4 ghz spectrum, and the advice from deity. Maybe you can run 6 audio channels (3 RX). Test would tell.

19 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

I think you mean 2 RX in the bag? It is advised yes. It probably will work without, but it does negotiation between the 2 RX.

Yeah, RX! Brainfart

19 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Maybe you can run 6 audio channels (3 RX). Test would tell.

Indeed, maybe real world experience will be different 

My initial thoughts on these are that they would be great as camera hops. My understanding from watching the video is that if you are using it for a camera hop, you would only need 1 transmitter pack as it is a stereo transmitter. Only needing 1 stereo transmitter, the fact that it is in 2.4gHz so you won't be getting RF spray on your talent mic receivers in your bag and the bi-directional aspect all seem perfect for a hop. The downside for me is the 3.5mm mic connector. My brief dabbling in the world of G3 wireless was quickly dispensed when I had issues with the 3.5mm connectors. When a talent has a transmitter in their pocket or belt it is common for there to be pressure placed on the connector (if they're sitting for example). Even with a locking connector there can be a slight lever action on the 3.5mm shaft which causes the tip of the connector to intermittently lose connection causing horrible crackles in the audio signal. This doesn't happen with lateral pin structures such as TA5 or lemo. I just have a total lack of confidence in 3.5mm connectors on talent wireless.